News: Matt Pickens Waived

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by tonhtubra, Mar 20, 2014.

1. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what I thought. Just confused with people saying we exploited loopholes. We left money on the table and couldn't pull off a deal for Pickens in over a year when New England did it in a couple of days. Mind boggling.

Oh well, the team does seem to be lucky this year. So that is a good thing

JasonMa repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, I'd take the guaranteed money everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. No brainer. MLS will reap the benefits from the failures of others paying players late, no at all, or less than contractually obligated. Liga MX has and continues to shell out mega cash but the reality is some of the clubs simply don't have what they say. Case in point, Puebla, who's players went on a mini strike recently. La Liga is riddled with financial issues outside of Real Madrid, Bara, and Atletico Madrid and those clubs aren't exempt from issues either. Serie A and all South American leagues have had some sort of issues, too. MLS may pay players on the cheap but at least you get a check.

3. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs TD has said that they didn't know about the Rowdies deal when they claimed him off of waivers, but did the Rapids know about it? Was it maybe negotiated after the Rapids announced they were waiving him?

If the Rapids knew about it, then that really is incredibly awful because at the very least they should have accepted a transfer of $1 to get the salary fully off the books. Since they didn't, I'm thinking that they didn't know about it either or the deal hadn't been done yet. Which makes you wonder, had the Rapids ever talked to the Rowdies prior to waiving him?

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of if they knew that Matt was talking to Tampa, the fact that they had Pickens for a year after his injury and couldn't move him, but New England had him for less than a week and moved him for $150K does not reflect well on the Rapids FO.

railwaystand, m vann and 22SteveD repped this.
  5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read it was an Achilles injury suffered a couple of weeks ago. It read like it wasn't just torn but severed. A very nasty injury with a long recovery time. It makes even more sense TB jumped on Pickens ASAP.

6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    And Iraq was just jam packed with WMDs before we went and secured them?

7. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, for about 24 hours I was ready to give the FO a bit of credit for getting Pickens' salary off the books (even if it did seem like the fell bass ackwards into it), but now I am right back to my initial reaction upon hearing the deal between NE and TB: absolutely embarrassed by our FO.

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.