News: Matt Pickens Waived

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by tonhtubra, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    :thumbsup: Haven't checked my Twitter account in a couple of hours.

It's great news. I hope he gets The starting spot.

2. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news for Matt and the Revs

3. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Matt - glad to see him picked up right away.

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm happy for Matt, too. However, not happy about this, if true:

Though I guess if "on the hook" means they pay him, but it doesn't count against the Rapids' cap, that's ok.

5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Ah, the game vs the Revs this year is in New England, 7/30.

6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Let's hope he has a much much better tenure than Burpo.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    So, the part in the "Roster Rules and Regulations" doesn't sound good:

McCarthy makes it sound like there was some settlement, but it sure sounds like the Rapids will be carrying a lot of dead weight in their salary budget.

8. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And it's a Wednesday, so it's really tough for me to go. Stupid Gillette Stadium being an hour south of Boston and having a parking lot designed by Satan.

Stuart95 repped this.
  9. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Been there, got the t-shirt ("TWELLMAN" for my son), drove the rental car all the way back to where we were staying near Salem after the match as well. Revs beat the Fire in an Oct. playoff match whatever year that was ...

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, now I feel comfortable saying this. The Rapids f-ed this one up:
    So the Revs claim Pickens for free and less than a week later sell him to Tampa, getting allocation money in return. Nice job FO. Oh, and we may still be feeling some salary cap hit from all of this. :rolleyes:

22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sure, but perhaps the Rapids really wanted to give Pickens a chance to stay in MLS (maybe upon his request) and did not go through with selling him to another "lower" league, instead waiving him to go to NE. And how much do you think the Rowdies really gave the Revs for him? If the Rapids are still not stuck with paying his salary then that may be the biggest pay-off for them.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumored $150K sale, according to the Revs board.

And given how quickly this turned around Matt never had a chance to stick in NE. This was the Revs jumping all over the opportunity to make some free allocation money.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another feather for Bravo's cap, he does seem to find good players to pick-up but usually gets basically nothing for players we trade away. Bravo best ability is finding value off the scrap heap.

Now to hear from all the "Bravo delusional" fans about returns from Thomas, etc which I will toss out Mwanga for our #1 pick in 2015. ;)

Edit: to support Jason's info, retweet from Bianchi.

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves ·27 mins
    New England Revolution send newly-acquired GK Matt Pickens to NASL's Tampa Bay Rowdies in a transfer. Fee was undisclosed but I hear $150K

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Logically we should be free of any cap hit he may have had on our 2014 cap, as he's contract has been sold outside the league. Given this is MLS though I can't be 100% sure of that yet.

jayd8888 repped this.
  15. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ok now that's noteworthy trade money. I don't know how the "market place" for available pro-soccer players works in this country but if the Rapids could not find a buyer for Pickens but NE found a home for him that quickly and got paid, I agree there is some 'splanin' to do from our FO.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think we can all agree on this comment:

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves ·41 mins
    Still a bit head-scratching that Pickens didn't find an MLS starting job. No chance there are 19 MLS starting goalkeepers better than him.

EDIT: MLS soccer article

Pickens holds the Rapids’ club records in career games in goal (116), shutouts (29) and wins (41).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-newly-acquired-goalkeeper-matt-pickens-tampa

17. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could very well be that the Revs claimed Pickens thinking he could solve whatever goalkeeping issues they have, and Pickens told them to pound sand and that he wasn't going to play in Foxboro.

jayd8888 repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some info from the Facebook discussion:

Pickens had a deal worked out with Tampa before the Rapids waived him. Then at the last minute the Revs claimed him on waivers and used that lever to get $150K out of Tampa. Pickens was never going to go to NE, this was just a move by the Revs to get some free allocation money.

Which leaves the question, if Tampa was so interested that the Revs were sure they could get allocation money by picking Pickens up on the waiver wire, why couldn't the Rapids sell him to Tampa for that money?

COMtnGuy, COYP and jayd8888 repped this.
  19. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I wonder how the rowdies feel about that move by New England. Sure it's legitimate business, but it appears to border on extortion, assuming that info on Facebook is correct. And yeah, why couldn't the Rapids "extort" a little money of their own?

20. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What one calls extortion others call negotiation.

You would think MLS would have rules about this since if presented as above it appears to possibly make teams not want to deal with this structure.

Regardless the Rapids should have gotten something. That part seems clear

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting, Revs TD Mike Burns says they didn't know about the deal with the Rowdies when they claimed him, they wanted him, but the offer from Tampa was too good to pass up.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well boys............... I was right. I called it. I called it that Matt was going to land in Florida. I just didn't think it was going to be on the Gulf Side! I thought for sure Mickey and Minnie Mouse were beckoning in Orlando. ;)

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I don't know if this is bizarre MLS rules or FO spin:

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2014/03/pickens-deal-good-everybody

So if we sold him to Tampa supposedly we would still be on the hook for part of his salary, but because NE sold him we're off the hook? WTF? And we were on the hook before NE decided to sell him? Nice work there guys...

22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of angles to play on this. But let me say this, could this be driven by Matt?? The Rapids gave him all the autonomy in the world to seek out a new club --- evident by his trial in Norway. Pickens took advantage. It could be that he knew damn well he was going to sign w/Tampa Bay, kept that under wraps, and angled for a release which obviously would expose him to waivers. Then he "sprang" it on NE that he had a deal with TB and NE licks their chops and pounces on an opportunity to cash-in. Basically, this is Matt's way of giving a big middle finger to CO (Bravo specifically) and having the last laugh. Of course, it would take two to tango and NE would have to be "in" on this. But are Burns and Co. that smart; that saavy??? Is Matt that type of person?? I wouldn't think so on the surface. I'm definitely thinking of hypotheticals but this smells fishy to me.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confusing to say the least. So is NE on the hook for some of his salary?? I'm scratching my head. Like I said in the previous post, something smells fishy. I just don't where the stench stems from. Interesting.....................................

Side note, the article mentioned roster announcements in the coming days. Does that money freed up allow for the Samuel Galindo signing from Arsenal.