Matt Besler European Interest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ielag, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Besler married? Is he in a serious relationship? Does he enjoy beig able to play sports, pull down a pretty good salary all things considered, and still live near friends and family in his hometown? Does loyalty to a hometown club influence his feelings on the margins?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions. What I do know is that there is more that goes into decision-making than pure after-tax income. A lot of athletes aren't going to think that way but for some reason, Besler strikes me as more cerebral than most.

If we can draw any inferences from this turn of events, it's that Bealer re-signed with KC awfully quickly. If he wanted to go to Europe, you'd think he'd have held out for another month to see what happens while his agent floated his name. Instead, the speed with which he seems to have decided to stay in KC tells me that the story is as simply as that he wants to be there.

2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, some kids dream of staying at home in the place they love and making a career there.

Others dream of getting out of the trailer park in Nacogdoches.

And still others dream only of money.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking on money, it's possible that Matt is getting some local endorsement deals that he wouldn't get playing overseas. His value may just be higher in KC right now. If he holds his deal to 3 years, I can see how it could be a smart decision for him.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Since he went to Notre Daym, I figure he can go to Notre Dahm too.

Don't know the guy. Don't know his earning potential. Don't know his decision making process or prowess.

But I don't want to rehash the old debates from 2005. All I'll say is that Matt's footballing will be be best realized in Europe. If other things keep him from being the best footballer he can be, then it's his choice to make. I can only comment on his sporting life.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    color me surprised with both of them resigning, good for the league though keeping quality players here. Seems like MLS has cut off the Scandinavia League bloodletting a tad with comparable pay.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I guess writing was on the wall for John when he failed to earn a gig in England despite having a Euro passport.

The UK move would have been a lot more difficult for Matt, so hypothetically speaking, John's gross income potential was higher but, if MLS can pay the Championship level wages to the Championship level player, then it makes no immediate reason for them to go seek jobs somewhere else.

8. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    Not really players' market right now in Europe. A lot of players signing and getting paid "below their level" to have a gig. Not like every player can pick and choose even if you're free.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    About time right? Sorta crappy players in MLS could head there and make the same if not mire than some of talented non DP players. And Scandanavian leagues don"t exactlt pay that much, jusy enough.

10. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    How does Besler qualify for a work permit?

Am I missing something? Is it because he played for Notre Dame? :)

I know we've had some questionable guys like Robbie Rogers and Robbie Findley get permits recently............but they'd actually been capped by the USMNT multiple times. (or even played in World Cup games in the case of Findley) Matt Besler has no caps to his name and as far as I know, only the one callup.

12. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that salaries in MLS are reaching the point where domestic talent doesn't have to leave the US to earn solid wages.

Although I feel a bit hypocritical as a Galaxy fan (considering how much my club has benefited from Landon staying in MLS), as a USMNT fan, I'd like to see Matt take the challenge of moving to a better league in an attempt to discover his ceiling as a player.

England seems like a long reach considering work permit requirements. Belgium or BL2 feel like a better fit as a "next" level.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Since Southampton and QPR are in the EPL (for now), the inference is that clubs in Belgium are not Charleroi and Beerschot but someone higher on the food chain.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    theres the remote chance MLS just resigned him so they could get a nice transfer if the price is right. QPR especially could be made to dance with their defensive situation and they have no problem dishing money. Hell with the names theyve brought in for the money.....MLS could probably get something like 8 mil and Besler on 40K a week :D

15. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Would probably be wise to wait and see what happens with So'ton and Quite Possibly Relegated as well.

I bet the contract won't be too long if Besler and his agent has his way, signing for a year and seeing what happens in the summer wouldn't hurt. He does have an agent right? o_O

16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe respect for MLS is growing. He was the DPOY afterall. Cameron only had I think 4 caps when he got his WP.

I do think it'd be interesting to see if the DPOY can get a WP.

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Cameron was sold about 18 months after signing a 5 year extension with MLS.

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Interesting that Charleroi came up... If I am not mistaken, Vicente Arze plays there, Bolivian who played his soccer in college before graduating and getting drafted by KC. I wonder if his agent maybe has ties to Besler?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arze though never showed up to play for KC, he signed with Vancouver before even being drafted by KC.

20. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I thought he was drafted and loaned to Vancouver in his first year with MLS? I may be mistaken...

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he just went straight to Vancouver.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  22. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Daily Mail say he will be training with qpr.

HopperKowalski and scholes181818 repped this.
  23. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Daily Wiz ran a similar story in relating with a trial offer for Matt Besler by QPR. It revealed, however, three clubs reportedly offer trial invitation by three football clubs: Queens Park Rangers, Birmingham City, and unnamed Belgian football club.

Besler offered trail by QPR [December 6, 2012 @ 9:28AM EST]
    http://www.thedailywiz.com/2012/12/6/3735600/besler-offered-trial-by-qpr

But (an excerpt):

It would be difficult for Besler to get a deal in England because of their difficult work permit process, but Besler is currently out of contract right now with Sporting KC.

There has been no word on whether Besler will take the offer.

Separately, Southampton also wanted Besler as well mentioned by MSN FoxSoccer. In aggregate, four football clubs have him on their radar.

24. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham sure could use another good CB. Senderos is GOD AWFUL and Hughes is pretty old!

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking the Cameron route and betting on yourself to succeed with the national team is probably the safest route. MLS is pretty fair when it comes to the valuation of defenders transfer wise.