Mathieu Flamini to Union

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Dills, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in November was when I first saw that the Union were interested in Mathieu Flamini, truly a bit of silly season silliness.

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2012/1...io-cassano-sebastien-le-toux-steed-malbranque

A couple weeks ago it comes out that he's on their summer signing shortlist, especially because his contract was up with AC Milan and he could be had on a free.

https://twitter.com/UnionRumors/status/348382621585260544

So, now that he's officially rejected AC Milan's 2-year extension, and even with rumored interest from other Seria A (Inter Milan) and EPL (Man City) teams, it looks like the Union have put in an offer for Flamini.

https://twitter.com/MLSTransfers/status/353191242710007808

2. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please be true! His arrival into MLS would be great, specially at the age of 29.

We would be proving that we are focusing on getting younger top DPs. Martins at 28 and Flamini at 29. Mouthwatering!

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yeah this would be a good pick up. He's the kind of DP that would fit Hackworth's philosophy. A good 2 way player that would improve your offense and defense when he's out there. Also young enough that you can build around him for more than 1 or 2 years which is what you get when you go for a DP like Drogba

4. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, and he is the perfect player to build around right now post-Beckham.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word on the street is that, with the likes of Inter Milan, Fulham, and even Man City rumored to be pursuing his signature, the Union have pulled back their offer for him and will be pursuing someone more realistic (i.e. cheaper).

If true, bummer.

6. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You can say that again. If true though then who can blame him. Its Inter Milan and Manchester City who want him! Anyone, even Americans who are in their 30s or close would go to them over MLS.

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I was holding out hope that those clubs would try to low-ball him since he could be had on a free. I don't believe he has shown at that well of late with ACM, so I'm not really sure what they'd see his worth to be. The Union/MLS may not be able to compete financially, but he could be one of the proverbial "big fish in a little pond" type of players.

8. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You would think they would low-ball him as I do agree, he has not been brilliant lately, but again, this is City and Inter. At least City has money to just throw around.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States