Match 64 (Final) - Netherlands v Spain - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jul 11, 2010.

1. krusi4310

krusi4310 New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seattle Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having a hard time with all the "FIFA sponsored" and Spain dived their way to the win. Not being a fan for either side I wanted to see a good match and like all of us was greatly disappointed. I attribute the ugliest of this game to the Dutch who wanted to turn this into a hackfest from the first minute. They should have been down to 10 men in the first half after the beautiful UFC style kick by De Jong. Spain was the deserved winner.

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about beating Brasil?

And yes, Spain were diving all over the place today and they were rewarded for it. So the next time you want to complain about all the terrible diving you see in football, remember this game because it did nothing but encourage diving.

Of course, had the Dutch won, it would have encouraged hacking, so there you go. A very disappointing Final game from two teams who should both have lost and a referee who went a long way to deciding the outcome through yet another reffing error.

3. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I disagree, going for first place doesn't mean more tactical, but that's to be discussed in the Uruguay vs Germany thread...

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Are some of the Dutch fans actually complaining about diving? One of the worst diving displays of the cup was their match against Brazil. Honestly both of the finalists dived like crazy throughout the cup.

5. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Very classy of the Dutch players to stay on the field and do the Pasillo for the Spain NT.

6. FrankCostanza

FrankCostanza Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Fishy?" He was onside and he pounded into the back of the net. One of the least "fishy" goals of the whole tournament.

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Villas goal was offside against Portugal & if you look at capdevillas dive of the tournament, it pretty much sums up Spain diving their way to the WC trophy. Pitiful

8. SoccerFair

SoccerFair New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree, congratulations Spain :)

9. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    only classy thing today

and there is the catalan flag:D

10. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there are several players from BOTH sides who should have been sent off at various points in the match. If Webb calls this game correctly, it would have ended with both teams down three players or more. The Netherlands hacked while Spain dove. On the balance, though, Webb's decisions went Spain's way. He was very inconsistent. And very disappointing from a neutral's point of view.

11. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Congratulations Spain!!!!

Deserved It Today.

12. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    First pass was offside from what I saw, I'm having a hard time seeing if the man ahead of the ball was involved with the play, which would mean the play should not have held up. That is all.

13. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't be BigSoccer without them.:p

Michaeal Jackon did a VERY true song about the Man In The Mirror.
    Like I will always say in regards a team vs refs and such, adapt and overcome, brother, adapt and overcome.

14. The Hessian

The Hessian New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Hessen, Deutschland
    Did I just see a Catalan flag there? Nice :D

15. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Well no surprise here. The usual Trolls, you can recognize them by name by now, are sprouting the usual crap.

16. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For this reason I think Webb did a good job. Had he called everything that could have possibly been called the game would've ended for lack of available players.

17. completesoccerfan

completesoccerfan New Member

Jul 3, 2010
  18. SoccerFair

SoccerFair New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Windows? :D

19. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Alright, take it easy. I'd bet that any of the 2006 semi-finalists would have beaten this Spain.

20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected here in the USA. ESPN cuts out early and doesn't show them celebrate on the field. So much for full coverage, instead we get another U2 montage.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This wasn't even "tactical."

It was edgy, ill-spirited, timid, dominated by nerves.

I've seen tactics better applied in a MLS match. Thse guys were shaking in their shoes too much to even pay attention to tactics.

22. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Could not agree more with you, this got out of hand quickly. All in all it was ugly soccer, but congrats to the Spaniards. Still feel as though there were more deserving teams that participated in this cup.

23. Mangolassi

Mangolassi New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Web will be the best Spanish player of the tournement. K-U-T scheidsrechter!

24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i saw the worst world cup. i saw spain benefit of "red cards" against chile, portugal, and now holland.

heitinga barely touches iniesta gets sent off, meanqhile puyol tries to tackle robben, but because he doesn't dive for the first time in his life, nothing happens.

elia fouled outside the box= no call. clear corner on the free kick- nothing.

to me it reminded me of the ghana uruguay match, but ghana was so bad they take advantage of it, spain could.

obviously some calls went in favor of holland, they couldn't make it too obvious it was fixed. but in crunch time in the last few minutes, everything went for spain, just like it all went for ghana in the quarter final. pathetic

spain plays such boring football. they just pass it around and do nothing. i hope we see a real world cup with a real final in 4 years

i'm argentine and have spanish blood so i am not a complete hater, but to deny the biased refereeing makes no sense. i mean how many games did it take before spain finally picked up a yello card?

25. The Natural

The Natural New Member

Jun 3, 2008
    never happened