Match 64 (Final) - Netherlands v Spain - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jul 11, 2010.

1. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think he was trying to hit the ball with his cleats. Just with the inside of the right foot. Like any normal human being.

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    De Jong's move to me was part and parcel of how the Dutch more generally approached their games against Spain and Brazil. De Jong probably didn't want to hit Alonso with is cleats, but IMO he was fully aware of Alonso being around and wanted to disrupt the play by making a dangerous and reckless move where he would (in his mind) probably "bump into" Alonso while pretending that he was somehow going for the ball. Never mind that you don't hit a ball like that. While the player who did most of the dirty work for the Dutch was van Bommel, everyone else on their team was playing this way in varying degrees. Even players ordinarily not known for being so cynical, such as Kuyt, as well as others such as Van Persie, not to mention the other Dutch players who had more defensive duties such as Heitinga et al. All of them were guilty of this kind of cynical play, which is why I think the real culprit was probably van Marwijk.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The "inside of [his] right foot" had no chance of hitting that ball, as it was facing the wrong direction, while his cleats where up and where the only thing that might have hit that ball if they had not hit Alonso instead. But lets agree to disagree and move on.

P.S.

To be clear: I am not saying he wanted to hit the ball with his cleats. I am saying he wasn't really trying to hit the ball as much as he was trying to bump into Alonso and disrupt the play and did that in a very clumsy and reckless manner.

4. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The ball came from the left of him. The inside of the right boot is the only logical part to intercept that ball with.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If trying to intercept the ball is your intention, but since there is no way he was going to hit that particular ball with the inside of his foot given where the ball was and how his cleats were up, the better conclusion is that he was not trying to hit the ball as much as he was trying to disrupt and obstruct Alonso. And he did that in a very stupid, dangerous and reckless move, ending up hitting Alonso in the chest with his cleats.

6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I agree with your conclusion that de Jong is an idiot and accept your apology for trying to mislead everybody here with random pictures of the match.

7. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The ball came high from the left side of his body. Facing your cleats forwards does in now way inhibit you from intercepting that ball. Sorry, I still disagree. If he was trying to obstruct he wouldn't do it with a karatekick to the chest, he would simply run into him..

8. Cruoninga

Cruoninga Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Amsterdam (NL)
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Off course it is pointless speculating what they might have done, had it went in. But if a goal like that would have won us the cup, I can not imagine how anyone supporting the Dutch team would have been happy with a win like that. Espacially since it would have made us the villains of football history. Now we were just the villains of this single final. And to repeat my previous point; if De Jong would have been sent off like he should have, he would probably would have been the only villain (with Van Bommel), taking the blame, foreign as well domestic.

Didn't you mention before you had the idea there was a good deal of criticism in the Netherlands itself? What provided you with that impression?

9. baybar

baybar New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Club:
    FC Köln
    I never said they were not deserved, on the other hand spain got away with with lots through out the whole tourney, while other countries, especially in the group round got lambasted with yellow cards. How many games in this WC did the refs directly decide the outcome? I can think of 5 just off the top. That "no goal" the english scored was huge, how did they miss that call? Can't even remember how many "mistakes" the refs made on offside calls. I was a neutral observer for the final, there were yellows and reds that could have been called on both sides but were not, the red that that was called, was uncalled for, and my guess is that if spain had the lead at that point, it would not have been a red. It just seemed that every obstacle in spain's way at this WC was taken care of so to speak.
    All in all spain was the better team, and holland's tactics were brutal.

10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fact is that they dropped out of the EC 2008 pretty early after the group stage and reached the final of the WC 2010 ... so their manager might not have been so wrong.

Besides this, I didn't see them as 'bad' as you during this tournament. I don't think they care much about "entertaining" the world as long as they are successful.

Such conspiracy theories are bullshit! The Spanish surely also bribed the referee of the "Argentina vs Germany" match in order to book Thomas Müller...

11. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    sure not....however i was very surprised david villa wasnt suspended 2 games after his action against a player of honduras..he was caught on camera .metzelder where was guest on german sky tc channel said there is no other choice for fifa suspending him..do we germans not remember fifas decision in wc 2006 against frings?? fifa did nothing now and villa in his next 2 games scored the keygoals for spain..

12. kets

kets Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The approach in the Brazil game was completely different. Brazil was the aggressor there - hacking on Robben on every occassion.

13. Tontodonati

Tontodonati New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy cheating in 2006? What, did they bribe the referee?

14. Mighty Dutch

Mighty Dutch Red Card

May 1, 2010
    Whats funny is Guignol accusing Holland of cheating and dirty play, while it took an intentional Henry handball for France to even make it to the world cup :D :rolleyes:

15. Mighty Dutch

Mighty Dutch Red Card

May 1, 2010
    Its called one of the worst dives ever.
    And unless you wear blue Azzuri glasses, its plain obvious to see ;)

16. baybar

baybar New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Club:
    FC Köln
    It's not how many yellow cards,it's when they are called in crucial plays,robben was fouled, no pk or card ,ozil was fouled , no pk or card mind you this wasn't as serious as the obvious foul on robben. Villa slapping a player, no red card, muller misses game against who else, Spain, on a laughable call.
    It didn't matter if de jong got a red or not, if spain is hard pressed to score even strength,any small infraction by the dutch will result in a red,and that's what happened. If anyone thinks that the infraction that resulted in the red card was more severe than the one against robben is lying to themselves. Fifa for whatever reason wanted spain in, and after switzerland beat them they made sure the road to the cup went straight to spain. It is so obvious it shouldn't even be debated.

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    loool.

18. AzNChicken

AzNChicken Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started off with a decent argument then crashed and burned somewhere towards the end...

19. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    it is true that FIFA is the biggest mafia organization in the world.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    get some perspective. they're not even the biggest mafia organization in switz. not even top ten.

21. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ2Y1mbLP28&feature=related"]YouTube- David Villa Hit a player from Honduras[/ame]

I am not sure, but I think the refree didn't see this. Apparently the Honduras player stepped on Villa's foot to which according to Villa, he reacted instinctively. It is very interesting what FIFA had to say about this btw -

"The disciplinary committee examined the incident and found no grounds to open a case. A case was never actually opened," a FIFA spokesman was quoted as saying during Wednesday's media briefing.

I personally don't see how FIFA came to that conclusion. Physically reacting to any action by the opponent is a direct red card offence. I think Iniesta also did something similar in the Final to Van Bommel, for which he wasn't given a card either, even though in that case the refree actually saw the incident.

Based on the above two occasions, I feel Spain certainly got a helping hand, intentional or not.

22. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    Physically reacting to any action by the opponent is a direct red card offence.

Makes it kind of difficult to play defense...:cool: