Match 59 (QF) - Germany v Argentina - Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Match 57 (QF) - Germany v Argentina - Pre-Match Thread

They have been the "team of destiny" since topping the South American qualifiers for 2002.

I also give Argentina the edge for this match but I certainly attribute it to the class of their players much more than "fate".

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

That's a good formula, let me try it...

Germany is so awesome, and we need our top game or else we won't stand a chance.
    Spain is so awesome, and we need our top game or else we won't stand a chance
    Brazil is so awesome, and we need our top game or else we won't stand a chance.

Works beautifully. I'm going to be a hit at parties!

:D

3. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

Lost three, that's how it works. Don't cry to me about it because you lost. Lost 3, won 1, drew 1.

And like I said, if that draw was in the KO rounds, it would probably be 4-1. Go cry about it but dont do it here.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I think it's like this: Germany won in 58 (group stage), we tied in 66 (group stage), beat them in 86 (final) lost in 90 (final) and tied in 06 (quarters, lost the PK tiebreaker).

5. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Bayern can be the best counter attacking team in the world with the right tactics due to having Muller, Ribery and Robben all in the same team. Obviously when we get the ball from corners and such, we can counter. Loew's plan all second half was to soak up pressure and hit on the counter. LvG never instructs his players to do this, Loew's gameplan is clearly a lot more diverse.

No, Ozil is not like Robbery. He is more of a classical playmaker, even though he has the ability to play on the wing. I would like a player that plays and dribbles by instinct like the two we have in Munich, that tries to beat his man first and then make a play/score a goal. I feel that is the only thing this team is missing currently, other than scoring from distance (which they can do but haven't attempted this WC).

That would poetic considering Maradona didn't recognize him after the friendly match with Germany even though he played in the game. :D

Should be a classic, the tension hasn't set in yet. It will be different story come Saturday morning however!

6. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

No it's actually two wins to Germany and one win to Argentina regardless of how you want to see it. Also I'd really appreciate it if you changed your tone:)

7. guedegba

guedegba New Member

Jun 6, 2006

Right on the money, Argentina has the talent to win the game, but their love for theater, especially Heinze will get the best of them.

8. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

I had no idea that losing a game in PKs was something other than losing a game.

Thanks for informing me. And I don't appreciate being called a liar, inferenced or otherwise, when I'm the only one telling the truth.

9. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada

Also East Germany tied Argentina 1-1 in 1974...not sure if that counts

10. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

East Germany is generally not considered part of Germany for any stats because they competed in the same events. It prevents Germany from getting a statistical "bonus" to their stats for total goals scored, games won, etc.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Regardless of who wins the PK, the match is officially considered a "tie" in the books. Don't ask me why, but that is how it is according to FIFA.

12. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

I know that's how FIFA records it, but that;s not how it actually works as far as progressing through a world cup. No one cares what FIFA scribbles into their books come this weekend, only who is going home.

You know they used to not count it as a tie at all? They actually used to add the PK scores straight on top of the normal game-time scores. That's why you if read old newspapers clippings about scores in shootouts and they report these crazy scores like 9 to 7 and often times didn't even mention it was in penalty kicks.

I don't know when they changed it, or why. But losing in PK is still losing.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

And I agree with everything you said.

It is much harder for German fans since we have been on the better end of the penalties so often just for it to be recognized as a "tie" in the books of FIFA, the world's organizer of football and keeper of the game's records.

You don't have to agree with it or like, but that is the way it is. If you want to continue arguing that point, go ahead, but you'll get no where.

14. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

And with this said can we now get back on topic?

15. ELMELOH

ELMELOH New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

on fifa it shows as a draw.,
    the one in 06'

16. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm predicting that Germany will knock Argentina out of the cup for the 3rd time (Argentina did it in '86). With Podolski's blasts, and Klose's runs into the box, we'll see 2 or 3 goals - something Argentina hasn't faced in South Africa.

It may be a close affair. The BBC analysts kept saying that Mertesacker was vulnerable at the back, but the English never exposed him. Argentina may have more luck.

Someone tell Maradona that managers aren't supposed to cry. Be the strong one, fat man.

17. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006

Agreed. Come on Argentina! I hope they can avenge the injustice in '06! :D

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

I have tough time deciding which side to root for, or predicting which side will win. Under the circumstances, I have given the edge to Argentina only because of UEFA's record outside of Europe. Otherwise, I believe Argentina's attacking bunch have the weapons to hurt Germany, but I also feel Argentina's defense is weak and can be exposed by the Germans. From all this, without having a clear favorite, I at least hope we get a good match with plenty of goals and a winner that everyone agrees deserved it more than the other side.

19. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Simple indeed. Yes, because Germany won the WC 36 years ago and 56 years ago, when they lost a group game, it implies losing a group game in this WC is better than not losing one at all. I get you.

Simple indeed.

20. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

lol :D

21. marraco

marraco New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

The simplest statistic:

No European country won ever the World Cup outside of Europe.

Yes, last time Germany drew against Argentina, IN GERMANY.

Germany nemesis: Italy.
    Argentina nemesis: Brasil.

Say onara to Africa. :D

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

ummmm.....say what?

23. ash4640

ash4640 Member

May 25, 2006

Nope but I'm an huge Arg / Maradona fan basically from Chennai. I started watching football because of Maradona and hope he can help Messi and co emulate 86....
    Are you an Argie in Chn????
    Even though the match has dodgy feel to it, I'm sure we will win; but just cant bare to watch 90 / 120 min....
    Higuain - 1
    Messi - 2
    Mueller - 2
    Arg 3:2 Germany
    All the Best, May our team win....

24. Alexnova

Alexnova Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Even though I'd love to see Argentina winning this, there's no way they can.

They have a very unballanced team that can't defend properly, they showed it pretty clearly against mexico, the only team so far that tried to attack them.

The other reason is that Argentina doesn't have players with the character to win this game, you must be cold blooded and they are not, I do think that at the very moment that if they concede one goal they are going to crumble.

25. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Ravshan Irmatov from Uzbekistan will be the ref of the game. He has done well so far at this WC, having officiated the opening match, the England vs. Algeria game as well as Argentina vs. Greece.