Match 59 (QF) - Germany v Argentina - Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Re: Match 57 (QF) - Germany v Argentina - Pre-Match Thread

A dumb cliché in my eyes. This Ghana side wasn't technical at all. Their ball control seriously lacked some basics, they were worse than the Germans at stopping, controlling, and passing the ball. They just sometimes tried to show off, but they were not really up to the task. African sides are usually technically not top notch, especially the Ghanaians. They were more physical than the other sides, but others are far more technical. The Serbians for instance.

2. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005

I am making a comparison between different opponents that Germany has faced in light of their new style, and I noticed a pattern that if repeated against Argentina would not be desirable for the Germans.

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

You said because they were a more technical side than Australia which isn't the case. They were just more defensive and far more physical, technical ability has nothing to do with it.

4. Mudig

Mudig Member

Mar 29, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

This matchup is too close to call, but I'm gonna go with the Germans. Better history and they are more composed.

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

Maxi, DiMaria, Messi, Tevez, all drop back to help press on defense. On paper what Maradona uses looks very offensive but when you see the team play for the most part the entire midfield drops very deep.

6. HerrRupert

HerrRupert BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2005
    madras

no i am german itll be 50:50 hopefully we win on penalties

7. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Actually i do think one advantage for Germany is that they are more versatile. Against Ghana, they had problems because Ghana was very well organized in midfield and hardly left any space. This, to me, seems about the only way you can stop the Germans if they don't have a bad day, because they can hold the ball, they can attack quickly, they can come through the middle or down their right side, and they have players that can shoot from a distance.

I am not as impressed by Argentina as many here are. It remains to be seen how they react under stress. (Whereas Germany showed a good game against Serbia, but also nerves and problems with finishing.) Of course they are still a very good team and they surely are always able to score with these players. Still, i do hope that apropriate tactics can neutralize their strengths, like Germany did with Portugal 2008.

8. Marcson

Marcson New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Wiesbaden
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I didn't see anyone mention this before:
    In the group stages, every opening goal from Argentina came directly from a set-piece.
    Heinze vs. Nigeria, corner. Own goal Korea, free-kick. (the second goal against north Korea was also after a short-executed free-kick) Demichelis vs. Greece, corner.
    We all know, the opener against Mexiko was offsides. (Second one practically gifted. From Osorio with love. XXX ;) )
    Apart from that Argentina of course did prove, that they're able to score beautiful goals from nicely executed attacks, but until now, only with a lead on the sheet.

That said, it will be a major key, to defend well against their set-pieces.

Edit: I meant of course South korea, not north. My bad

9. Chocolate Bunny

Jun 13, 2006

Both teams have chances ...but I will go with Argentina for a slim margin :D

What worries me the most is that Diego could pull some absurd move... like starting with Di Maria :mad:

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Since Löw took over the German NT after the WC 2006, we only conceded three goals after set pieces, all of which against England. Two in the friendly in Berlin, one at the R16 game.
    :cool:

11. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005

I guess this is a matter of personal opinion but I still believe teams like Ghana and Serbia, which I left out by mistake, are technically more competent than Australia. Serbia beat Germany, Ghana was beat by one unstoppable shot while Australia got owned by the Germans and it was in that one game that the Germans were able to showcase the best of their new style. Again, the point of my comparison was to show how the new German style fairs agaist different teams with different styles of play.

12. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Lets put this very basically - Ghana and Serbia played very compact and defensively. The Germans have difficultly with that sure, but so would any other team.
    Australia and England play a more open attack minded game - this creates many opportunities in Midfield which suits the german game, as you might have noticed. If you look at Euro 2008 germany also battled against defensive teams but look what they did to Portugal then 3-1.

So what style does Argentina play - if they put 7 men behind the ball in the defense Germany will battle to play their game - but I dont think that will be Maradonas game plan. They will attack quite a bit more and this will suite the german game. Still i believe it will be very close. If Germany surprises Argentina early on, they might not have the discipline to come back in it.

13. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Man if we beat Germany, we will prob play Spain and then Holland likely, the final of 1978 possibly

EDIT

OH MAN

Could what happened to Brazil happen to us, I mean AND I HATE SAYING THIS Brazil defence is better well they have Lucio and we have Samuel and after that, main defence wise we are stuffed

Oh god I hope we can outscore everybody from now on, I have money to collect from bets I made that I need for holiday spending money

14. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I like your posts. They reflect the fact that this is a very talented, but also inexperienced German team. Of course they can beat Argentina, but it's fair to say that Germany aren't favourites. I hope that the team play as well as they have done so far.

15. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

no there are no similarities. argentina is a good team but we are aware of our deficiencies.

people like cesar and mello, the two biggest culprits in brazil losing, were two of the biggest talker before the world cup.

this was a rubbish brazil team. for some reason they thought they were good. yes they won the confed, copa america, and CONMEBOL qualifying, but as we've seen in the past, those things don't matter.

trust me, argentina is not over looking germany. we know they are good side.

16. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Hmm. Could be, however all the matches we played, except Mexico were against teams that played defensively on us, it was a matter of opening the sheet at any cost and then the other goals would come, except against Nigeria in which we missed many chances.

17. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010

There are only 2 teams that have as strong middle as Germany and one is already out and the second is not Argentina. Please explain to me exactly how do you plan to win this game?

(letting the comments about bad Brasil slide since you obviously are very biased)

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Higuaín from 40 meters.... Works every time against Germany :D

If you follow Germany, you know they are suspect in the back. Argentina has the best front line in the world.

19. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

you are the one who said Brazil couldn't even be stopped

20. nailsinch9

nailsinch9 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Oh, I think the Gods are smiling on Argentina...

Brazil, Argentina's sworn enemy crumbled on themselves, and Argentina's cheap imitation Uruguay won based on a last second hand ball, and Ghana missed PK!

Add to the fact that Argentina will wear their blue and whites (when they beat Germany in 86!) as opposed to the dark blues (when they lost in 90 & '06)...

All this is adding up to an Argentine victory tomorrow!!!

All Germany has is an octopus. ;)

Vamos ************!!!!

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

On top of Pauli, we have this fact : since the second world war...only in 78 and 06 have brazil or germany not been in the world cup final. Chances of that happening twice in a row....well ask the octopus ;)

22. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006

The Octopus is cool!!!!

23. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

maybe we can get Uruguay in the final and avenge the 1934 defeat

24. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Two questlons maybe a knowlegeable German fan could answer-

1) IF the game went to PKs......I understand that GK Tim Wiese is great at stopping PKs-! Would Loew think of putting in Wiese...in place of Neuer?:confused:

2) Also---is Cacau available at all to play---if needed late in the game? I undestand he had a serious leg injury.

Thanks--:)

25. marraco

marraco New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    --other--