Match 59 (QF) - Germany v Argentina - Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    ----------------------------------------------
    Match 59 - Quarter Finals

Germany vs Argentina

July 2, 2010 - Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1 New Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Agoura Hills
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Match 57 (QF) - Winner 51 v Winner 52 - Pre-Match Thread

This will be the match of the WC! Can't wait for it. Hopefully the hype surrounding it won't make it a 1-0 bore.....

3. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

It will be epic, a repeat of the 2006 quarters...I hope that Germany will win this, but it'll be extremely difficult. Argentina is much better than England...

Germany has to exploit the Argentinian defense which doesn't look too good...then again, neither does the German defense. And Germany will have to practice set pieces, they are our weak spot and Argentina also looks vulnerable there.

4. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US

0-0 and goes to penalties...

5. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

and then Arg get their result that way and win

6. $crooge

$crooge Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Mainz, Germany
    Club:
    FSV Mainz 05
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I predict a 4:3 win for Argentina. :eek:
    That many goals because both sides clearly have their weaknesses in the defense while their offenses are great. For Argentina because I see them as the favourites. But we surely have good chances to beat them.

7. dundermifflininc

Jun 19, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From what I see, Argentina's keeper isn't very good and Germany's keeper is much better. I think Germany is gonna win.

8. mistert06

mistert06 Member

Jul 4, 2006

Could go either way. If Germany lets Messi play instead of chopping him down like all the other teams have done so far, then it could be a high scoring affair on both ends. If the fouls come early, then it's going to be 1-0 on a set piece by one of them.

9. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

It could turn out to be a high scoring match...but it won't have to. Argentina is the clear favorite, but I'll go out on a limb and predict a 3-2 win for Germany.

Might be down to my personal bias though...;)

10. mistert06

mistert06 Member

Jul 4, 2006

I'm not sure there is a favorite. Both teams seem to be similar, attacking play, some questionable defensive backs. German team is younger, I think, so it may come down to energy vs. experience. Hope it's a good one and the teams and refs play fair.

11. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I can see any number of outcomes in this match. One thing you can be certain of is that much will be made of the skirmish after the last time our two sides met. Really both sides match up pretty good from what I've seen.

I wonder how we'll handle the German midfield but in turn I wonder how your defenders will handle our attack. On defense we'll be getting Samuel back plus Heinze and Burdisso have played very well. Our concern is Demichelis as has been the case in every match so far. With regards to keepers you may have a slight advantage since the Romero from today isn't reflective of what a quality keeper he really is.

One thing I know for sure is that this match will not got to PK's.

12. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille

Too bad, the match will takes place in Port Elizabeth which I think hosts the smallest stadium of the QF.

13. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

nah, its in cape town

14. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

This game will come down to the GKs. Both teams have great offensive players, but have been just a little shakey in the back. Neuer has been far better then whoever that long haired Argentine GK is. He will lose it for them this matchup, I'm sure of it.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

It always seems to come down to this, doesn't it?

16. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I hope Germany wins and kicks Argentina out of the World Cup again, like Argentina did to us.

The US loses to Ghana again, Mexico loses to Argentina again, Argentina should lose to Germany again and go home or it breaks the pattern. History seems to be repeating itself when it comes to some of these eliminations.

I don't know if Germany eliminated England in 2006 though, but regardless I'm getting a feeling of deja vu.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

No, it was Portugal.

18. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

I really want Argentina gone, and I really want to see the Germans beat the Argentines, because Germany after today's performance with England, Germany can beat any team in this tournament as Germany have already proven that they are dangerous on counter-attacks when opposition turn over the ball, and the Germans are not only a young and vibrant team, they are fast too on the ball, and I think their defence is more stronger than that of Argentina, and plus Germany's defence is younger which works in their favour, and their midfield is more vibrant than that of Argentina, and plus they have Podolski aka Prinz Poldi at striker along with Klose, Muller, Ozil, Schweinsteiger, etc., there is no way Germany can lose this game, and plus I really want Argentina gone because all the talk about Messi, Messi, Messi, I am getting sick and tired of it, just as I am getting sick and tired of Argentina being in the knockout round, I really want to see them go home.

I really hope and pray Germany takes out Argentina

19. deyna199

deyna199 Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

Argentina 3-0 Germany

Messi 3x

20. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

i think this will be the argentine defense's first true test. i think if germany's counter-attack plays as it did today, it could get quite interesting. while i'm obviously not a big fan of either team, this game could be very similar to the brazil-argentina encounters of late.

21. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

thats what everyone was saying about the mexico game...

the way i look at, this will be the first real test of the german defense of the tournament. mertesacker is a bit of a disaster waiting to happen. sweinstiger and khedira are not traditional holding mids, they can be caught going forward.

we should have won 4 years ago, but our coach was a coward

we beat them in a friendly recently when our weak defense held them to 1 shot on goal

obviously a lot has changed since then, but our defense is not as bad as people think. demichelis, who is the weakness, will hopefully be replaced

22. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Did Mueller play vs Argentina? If he did it would've only been his first or 2nd game for Germany but he will rip the Argentinian left back apart who is one of the weak links in that defense.

I think Germany will win this comfortably as long as they can shut down Messi. 3-1 would be my tip.

23. bigpoppapump

bigpoppapump New Member

Jun 25, 2006

I think its 50/50. Whoever wins wont win by that large of margin..these are two quality sides, chances of one pulling away like that are small. I remember in 06 they were hyping up the arg-germ. game as two great offenses but if I remember corectly it was a pretty boring game with the germans pretty contempt by arg. having the larger time of possesion and just letting them pass it around.

24. Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1 New Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Agoura Hills
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If everyone plays at 100% (Klose, Tevez, etc) then I predict a 3-2 win for Germany. Germany have too much synergy, they play so well together, Muller is supper impressive for such a young player.

25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

When I think about how Germany and Argentina match up against one another, I can't help recall the WC06 encounter between these two teams at the same stage of the tournament. And Germany defeated Argentina in that match, outplaying them in the process.

Of course, WC06 was hosted by Germany and both teams have changed enough in the meantime. Controlling Messi and Tavez would IMO be difficult for any side, including the Germans. But Argentina's defense, on the other hand, has not looked convincing to me at all.

Hopefully it will be a good game. I won't be disappointed with either side winning, as I have been rooting for both so far. I am just hoping it will be a good match, with the team that prevails the one that proved itself the better side in this encounter.