Match 42: Paraguay - New Zealand :: Pre-match Discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by CIA, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

This is the pre-match thread. Please discuss the forthcoming event in this thread. The other mods and I will edit this post/thread and as more match details are revealed.

Also let's remember that threads close at #500 posts.

Date and Time:
    June 24, 2010
    16:00 (UTC +2)

Venue:
    Peter Mokaba Stadium, Polokwane

2. j710

j710 New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Paraguay will defeat New Zealand by 2 goals or more.

3. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This match-up you heard it here first, I am calling for Paraguay to beat New Zealand like 2-0, but this match-up does not even appeal to me much less giving me a reason to even care, so I see it as Paraguay just beating New Zealand and nothing more

4. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Now especially now that the Kiwis are now on everyone's radar after drawing with Slovakia and drawing with the Italians, the Kiwis I could very well see them even beating Paraguay seeing as how they handled themselves well against Italy 1-1 almost to the point where the Kiwis could have won the game with a few scoring chances, and the Kiwis tying Slovakia last second man, New Zealand are a surprise package, New Zealand will win this match 2-1

5. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I'd rather stick with the "you heard it here first" and hold you accountable for that post.

6. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    First you said Paraguay will win then right after you said NZ will, make up your mind.

7. Furyan

Furyan New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    New Zealand.
    Hmmm this is the thing, its always a MASSIVE benefit going into a match as the underdogs, NZ have played well enough to diminish this a lot but still be one the tournaments darlings now, that must be hard.

THIS is the match they will have to really watch things with. Paraguay are no easy team. They also know they have to win as well. Will be very interesting to watch.
    New Zealand need to score as early as possible.

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    If Paraguay keep the ball on the ground and play the same formation as against Slovakia they should(nothing is a certainty) come away with the 3 points and first place

9. Furyan

Furyan New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    New Zealand.
    They won't though.

10. Naykd

Naykd New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Paraguay will win 0-3

11. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I say this game actually ends 0-0, and Italy moves on because they'll tie Slovakia 1-1 and have more goals for than New Zealand

12. Furyan

Furyan New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    New Zealand.

It will be a better game. Paraguay are a team that likes to strike. Should be a goodie.

13. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The factors in this game are,

1. NZ can't really afford a tie so they will have to come out.

2. Paraguay's defense, which is very strong kept Italy and Slovakia on check and should be able to hold out NZ as their attack line aren't as strong as the other 2 teams. (Smeltz is very good though)

3. Paraguay has seen NZ is not the pushover everyone thought they would be so they will not take them lightly.

14. Furyan

Furyan New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    New Zealand.

Yeah well said. Last one especially.

15. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with all 3 points but I just can't help but think Paraguay will play safely for the draw, lots of defense, and rest the star offensive guys later in the game by replacing them with more defenders. And hey lets if both games end in a 0-0 draw then there will be a coin flip for second place. I think that's better than anything NZL could have ever asked for.

16. Furyan

Furyan New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    New Zealand.

:confused: WhAt!??

Anything better NZ could ask for!?? How about a win! NZ's players can hold their own thanks, its been proven.

17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    why not?

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    NZ has no retention in midfield so its going to be just bombing the ball foward and handing the ball back to Paraguay, who can hurt the defence running at them the way Slovakia did in the second half(Weiss had a field day)

if NZ sneak in a goal they will adopt their siege tactic and ocasionally bomb a pass foward

so Paraguay is going to be in control of the game, lets see if they can put the game away which is something the two european teams failed to do

wont be a pretty game but it will be interesting

19. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    they can hold their own defensively but they haven't showed they can go out there and take the game to the opposition

this game is different to the past two because now they need a win(to make sure they go through), in the past two games they seemed to play for a draw and were happy to get it(understandably so) but now its a different ball game

the question is can NZ take the game to Paraguay or are they gonna sit back and try to sneak one in

20. Alexnova

Alexnova Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm looking forward to Thursday. If New Zealand can somehow draw (or for a better chance beat) Paraguay they have a chance of advancing.

Which is such a ridiculous concept, especially in that group.

21. Furyan

Furyan New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    New Zealand.
    Don't take this the wrong way but,
    Your location is New Zealand I see, I can only guess you're a kiwi (??) If so wheres yor national pride ffs?

And I don't care if you're a mod, remove you're location then cause people in NZ don't need you're type of black mood mate. Be positive for once.

Cheers.

22. Naykd

Naykd New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Italy took the same approach and look what happened to them.

23. Naykd

Naykd New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    He's Italian. :p

I'm joking.

24. Furyan

Furyan New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    New Zealand.
    Well he ain't a Kiwi thats for sure.