Match 29: Brazil Cote x d'Ivoire Post Game

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Amir777

Amir777 New Member

Jun 16, 2010

2. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's now been a day and I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe. Even Brazil's biggest foes don't seem to be all that bothered by Fabiano playing basketball in the penalty area. Where's the outrage we saw with Henry? The stage here is even bigger. The discussion seems to focus on the discussion with the ref and whether there's some conspiracy, which to me so much misses the point. When Henry got away with his juggle, we heard that it was a disgrace, that he was a disgrace for not reporting himself to the ref, and this his and France's legacy were forever tarnished.

Today? Pretty much mum, other than a bemused chuckle about the handball the and the usual UFO-type conspiracies.

I love watching Brazil play. But I simply cannot understand the world's attitude. They played better yesterday and I think I'd agree with anyone who argued that they deserved the win with or without the handball(s). But who is to say, really? 1-0 is much different from 2-0, and anything could have happened. That they play more beautiful football than France just does not seem to me be a reason for such a diametrically opposed worldwide reaction.

3. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Yep. A win's a win. Especially when it's a 3-0 win. Oh, sorry. That's 3-1. Forgot about IC's consolation goal at the end.

4. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The way you talk, it seems that you don't see football very often, but forget me if i'm wrong. It's just that i see decisions like this all the time in european championships, and, despite the losing team allways complains, things allways settle down as this errors are part of the game. Specially when it's not clear for everybody that this was a handball unless you watch several replays. The referee only has one shot. And Fabiano tried to control the ball with his shoulder. With the body's movement, he ended up by touching with the arm to. But nothing compared with Henry's intentional hand ball, or Maradona in 86. Or even the goal denied to USA in their last game.

5. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's no different at all from Henry. He controlled it not once but twice with his arm and then scored a goal. And in both cases the ability to use his arm assisted him on the play.

I watch plenty of football and understand calls are missed. My point is not so much about the reaction, but the comparison in reactions between this obvious handling and the other famous obvious handling earlier in the year.

There is, simply, no difference except for the teams for which the offenders play.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Many differences:

1 - Brazil were already ahead as you mentioned and deserved to win.
    2 - Didn't look as intentional as Henry's or for example Maradona's. Specially the first hand ball which looked completely unintentional.
    3 - The French goal was a lot more decisive.
    4 - Most people just don't like the French.

7. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC06LDf_4E4&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Kaka "elbows" Ivory Coast player Red Card Sent off World Cup 2010[/ame]

8. Amir777

Amir777 New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    I hate to say it, BUT I agree with you 100%

9. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    5 - Brazil is Brazil and they can get away with murder.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Say that to Kaka' ... :rolleyes:

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exactly. Brazil has gotten away with murder and teams have gotten away with murder against Brazil. But we all have selective memories and people will choose to believe Brazil gets all the calls and some people will even choose to believe in idiotic conspiracy theories.

Let's move on from this nonsense.

As for the thread, make sure to read through it before posting and only post if you're adding something new to the discussion please.

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They were clumsy chapeaux. Forlan's first goal against South Africa is better, as is David Villa's first goal today.

13. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    no, there is a WORLD of difference. The difference is INTENT to use the hand.

again, WATCH THE REPLAYS:

first handball: pure accident, he had his eyes closed (incoming shock in the air with a player from IC), when he opens the eyes, he doesnt even knows where the ball is

2nd handball: like ANY player, when trying to use your chest or shoulders to control an air ball, you OPEN your arms. Luis Fabiano tried to use the shoulder to dominate the ball. He was unable to reach it with the shoulder, and the ball hit his BICEPS.

Its a HUGE, ENOURMOUS difference than CAREFULLY blocking the path of the ball with you hand (on the very end of your arm) to drop it on your feet and score the goal (Henry). Or jumping with your hand near your head just so you can fake a heading (Maradona).

Its obvious that there can be worldwide outrage at the referee failing to see it... but not at LUIS FABIANO, since I dont think he TRIED to cheat.

as for Fabiano "lying" to the ref, thats what people ASSUME when seeing the replay of his talk with the ref and pointing to the shoulder. Thats because people like you ALREADY ASSUME that since he is a brazilian, he is a cheater/liar :rolleyes:

have you ever considered that, JUST LIKE Luis Fabiano after the match said there were two handballs but both were unintentional, that Luis Fabiano could possibly be saying the SAME to the ref? Pointing out that he tried to handle the ball with the shoulder and since it was unintentional that it didnt hit the shoulder, the play should be legit (in his view)

14. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    that it was a handball there is no doubt. Luis Fabiano admited that. The question is if it was intentional, caractherizing dirty play, cheating, or if it was unintentional, that Fabiano TRIED to dominate the ball with the shoulder but it ended up in his arm.

15. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Players who get the ball will be attacked. Players who retaliate against other players (be that justified or not) will likely provoke a penalty or even a card fron the referee.
    Every player ought to know this, especially highly paid pros in the WC.

Regarding hand balls, it seems that this is very much of a grey area, happens quite a lot that a player very deliberately kicks the ball right at an opposing player's hand in order to get a 'hand ball' penalty......
    I guess it's another version of swan diving.

16. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Actually, I think it will be good for Brazil that Kaká doesn't play. He's been lousy all year long.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lousy but with 2 assists :p

Anyways ... he will be back in R16. Maybe he will have a Zidanesque '98 World Cup. Red card, suck right up to the Final, and then score 2 goals.

18. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Perhaps, perhaps not.

Anyway, Kaká has been baffling since 2008/09. Either he's on a early leaning curve (pre-30's) or there's something seriously wrong with him.

He's clearly not the same player. At least the great player he was at AC Milan.

19. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm portuguese and i'm defending the point of the brasilians, that is that this hand wasn't intentional in such a way to compare it to Henry's goal.