Match 29: Brazil Cote x d'Ivoire Post Game

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Jun 20, 2010.

1. garogaro

garogaro New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    anyone?

2. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I find it interesting that not one Ivory coast player complain about the handball. The first one is an unintentional handball but the 2nd is not IMO. Still should of been disallowed.

3. Nexuus9

Nexuus9 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    True. I guess I meant how little is being made of it since it was such a huge goal (killed whatever momentum the Ivory Coast had built up since the first goal.) I keep thinking back to Henry. Much tamer reaction by comparison. Maybe it is being eclipsed by the Kaka sending off controversy.

4. [Dorian]

[Dorian] New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Respuesta: Re: Match 29: Brazil Cote x d'Ivoire Post Game

for some reason when i saw keita fall to the ground, i remember Rivaldo when played against turkey..

1 person likes this.
  5. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Every team has players that sell a dive or two. Not every match is going to be pretty, like everyone wants.

As Herm Edwards says "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME".

6. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Doesn't make too much sense. Maicon cries every time Brazil scores. I think it is a combination of the ball, caution and high altitude(Although I'm not sure if this match was played at high altitude).

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    None of the matches in this WC have a lot of effect when it comes to altitude. Playing in La Paz at 3000+ ft above sea level is when the altitude affects you. The highest place this entrie cup I believe is J-burg which is around 1000+.

The altitude is a lame excuse mainly used by the Euro teams so far since they have played like crap. Though even before the cup they were complaining about it. The South American teams who face real altitude in the qualifiers don't say anything.

8. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Uhhhh. Again. Watch the replay, specifically the slow-mo of the incident. Kaka didn't "raise an elbow" or throw an elbow. In fact, his upper arm - all the way down to his elbow - was against his body at the moment Keita ran into him.

Well, if he runs directly at Kaka and continues to run until he impacts Kaka, then, yeah, that DOES mean he's going to hit him. And that's exactly what happened. Unless you're contending - bizarrely - that Keita stopped before he got to Kaka.

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I said I saw the replay a million times. You have no point. Kaka raised his hand. How on earth are you even arguing against this? Even worse why are you even trying to justify this?

What makes you think he was going to run difectly into Kaka? All you are doing is speculating with no basis on what actually happened.

10. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He wasn't going to run directly into Kaka. He ran directly into Kaka. All Kaka does is give him a shove.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJrHi1oUG-4"]YouTube- Kaka is sent off - World Cup 2010[/ame]

Check the video while it lasts. It won't be up for long.

11. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Along with the blatant dives by Brazil.

And that is how the game got out of hand. CIV responded with the same diving tactics that were clearly working for Brazil.

If the referee that called the Germany-Australia match were calling this one, half of the Brazilian team would have been sent off!

12. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And it was not necessary for Kaka to do so. Keita was trying to get open for the throw in, was pushed by someone and was slightly off balance when he bumped Kaka. No need for the elbow to the midriff.

13. Terrain

Terrain Member

Feb 6, 2007
    And likewise, half of the CIV team would've been sent off for their unnecessary and very dangerous studs up tackles.

14. mistert06

mistert06 Member

Jul 4, 2006
    In the video it looks like Keita is slowing down as he approaches. There would have been a collision no matter what, but I think both players turned what would have been a small collision into something unnecessary. Givent he previous escalation, it's hard to judge whether the yellow was warranted.

15. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Well said.

16. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not arguing that point.

The glaring differences in how games are being called by the referees in this tournament blows my mind. It's unimaginable that there can be such variation from game to game at this level.

17. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    what about the tackle on Michel Alves? Another red imho.

no wonder some brazilian dived. Either they dived or they would suffer a few fractures... and the referee wouldnt even give reds to the Ivory Coast players.

if Eduardo from Arsenal had jumped over that tackle that broke his leg, the english ref, so fair in the eyes of the british and americans here at BS, wouldnt have awarded a yellow to the other player, even though it was a VERY dangerous tackle that could (and did) break a leg. If he felt on the ground and jumping to escape the tackle, for losing his balance, the pompous english ref, from the height of british self-assumed patronizing ways, would be capable of giving a yellow to Eduardo. If he dived convincingly, he would escape getting a broken leg and maybe the other player would still get his DESERVED yellow/red.

thus, diving IS justified against violent players.

1 person likes this.
  18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The officiating was great at the start. Over the last few games we have seen inconsistency and some questionable decisions.

Among other things, before each tournament FIFA states what the emphasis will be, such as tackles from behind etc. And yet when these things happen during the game the official does nothing about it. If FIFA says they are going to enforce something they should do so. And yes, that is frustrating.

19. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    yeah, I hope the video replays will also be used to award red cards to all the violent players too. Maybe when real hard tackles are punished properly, there will be less divers around.

as for Fabiano´s two handballs, the first he had his eyes CLOSED as you can see in the replays, when he opens his eyes he didnt even know where the ball was.

as for the second one, its called a "handball" but the ball got in his upper arm, not very far from the shoulder. Fabiano was trying to use his shoulder, but clearly, he wasnt able to reach it with the shoulder.

WHat did you want him to do? Abandon the play and say "it was a handball"? Specially considering you HARDLY have a case to say he did it on PURPOSE (unlike Thierry Henry´s goal)???

As for "laughing with the referee", are you able to lip-synch in portuguese/spanish or whatever language they were speaking?? He could very well be admiting to the ref the the ball got in his arm, but that it was unintentional. That was what he said in the post match interview. He pointed to his shoulder "I tried to use my shoulder". Unless you can prove he DID say "I used my shoulder".

20. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Can't we just call them "ivory coast", eh? Personal pet peave. I hate it when people go to great lenghts to get certain names/languages "right" but not others.

21. Pedro_Fut

Pedro_Fut New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    That referee was prety good. And he did a very good job protecting the better players from dangerous tackles - which happens to favor Germany. Now, for the diving point of your post, please give some examples. I did not see any diving like the one that gave Ozil the yellow card (I am brazilian and I think hard takcles are far worse then diving, so I might say that in the germany game I blame the referee for the yellow card until I saw the replay, and there was no contact, so was actually a good call that helps to keep the game under control). What I mean is an example of a diving act that was called a foul and was not a foul. I am not interesting how the guy deals with his pain, this is his problem. I am surprised how most people think brazilians were diving. I want some examples.

1 person likes this.
  22. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    nonsense. Its always the english and the americans crying about the diving from the "latin" teams. Your infantile crying is already getting boring.

the Ivory Coast players were trying to intimidate brazilians physically from minute one, by giving hard tackle at every play. It only got worse later, when they got downright violent.

23. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like Brazilian soccer.

24. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    so what, if you feel Brazil should give spectacles instead of winning, then how about YOUR national team starts giving spectacles?

oh sorry... you can give NEITHER spectacles, nor you can win. The only thing you can do is play PHYSICAL.

1 person likes this.
  25. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When you can't even touch a player's foot with your toe without a guy flying back five feet or crumbling in a heap agonizingly screaming in pain until he realizes he has gotten the foul only to jump back up in an instant and sprint into space, it is diving and simulation. After Drogba scored, this was what Brazil resorted to on almost every challenge. Germany did and got called for it and they deserved it. And yes, that referee was fantastic.

We will clearly agree to disagree, but there is no need to hammer us Americans or Canadians or whatever we are for having an opinion of what happens on the pitch. We don't see this kind of acting in MLS (which is Major League Soccer, in case you don't know) but also being of German decent, I have seen this nonsense incorporated into their play over the years and I don't like it.