Match 29: Brazil Cote x d'Ivoire Post Game

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What bothered me in particular was the lack of hustle on those 50/50 balls at times. So describing it as possession was probably not accurate, it was more so a comment on how we're supposed to be the more fit team and the team that wants it more.

2. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    An argument emerged during this world cup that european coaches are selectors of African teams because of the tribal structure. They need someone neutral to bound the players that don't feel like they belong to the same country

3. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i do belive FIFA will now look at Keita and ban him for 2 or 3 games starting with the game against NK on friday like they did Rivaldo back in 2002

4. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, to me it seemed like Brazil was playing at half everything in the first half.
    Half effort, half urgency, half energy.. they looked like they didn't care for a good while.

They traded that in the second half for some diving antics and a few anti-soccer moments. ultimately though, they deserved the win. CIV clearly had in mind to tie that game, and it didn't work out with Drogba being the only one putting effort in.

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I watched it a million times.
    What are you talking about? Just because Keita ran at Kaka doesn't mean he was going to hit him or strike him. He could have stood next to Kaka and screamed in his face and it still would not have justified raising an elbow late in the match when your team is winning.

Yes he did. Your argument doesn't even make any sense unless you expected Keita to run and tackle Kaka or something which would then justify him maybe defending himself against that. The point is that he was the one who raised his hand and made the contact when there was no reason to especially at that point in the match and in the position his team was in.

What are you justifying?

6. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Brazil are not going to let Portugal pass to get back at IC. The Portugal vs Brazil has the potential to be more cynical and with much more cards than this game depending on what happens here now in. This 'alliance' was mentioned before the start of the WC but nothing is different now. IC are still very much in the hunt.

7. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
    It would be hilarious if Brazil just score an own goal and then pass it around for 90 minutes against Portugal and eliminate CIV.

8. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I wouldn't agree that it was half everything. Sure some possessions could be fought for more, but I think that Dunga bets everything on intercepting the passes which was done in first half very good. Like I said these 50/50 balls are always dangerous for counter attacks. Like I said I saw a lot of mourinho in last lines - let the possession and than with good positioning intercept the balls and shots at dangerous distance from goal.

Might not be very pretty to watch but ...

9. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I totally expect Portugal vs Brazil to be a seminar on diving, fouling, whining and hacking.

10. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    They can't do jogo bonito without hearing the drums.

11. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    De Rossi disagrees.

12. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yet you were calling it 'awesome' and 'beautiful' and 'class' in various different posts... favoritism?

13. Sranang

Sranang Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Suriname
    This game wasn't pretty to watch but we have to remember what we are dealing with here. Erickson clearly was going for a draw and tried to contain Brazil like Korea did by playing 11 behind the ball basically.

After the half when they had to open up Brazil found more space to exploit.

This is how Dunga's team plays. Careful, bureaucratic and fast on the counters.

You may see flashes of jogo bonito in the knockout stage where teams are obligated to win or go home.

Portugal is going to be interesting, with the most experienced diver in world :D

14. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    hehe i told you before. I regard the mourinho age to be the most awesome and beautiful in depth in football. Because the game is not just the game - it is an intellectual challenge. So it's not pretty to watch, it can be very tiresome, but it is awesome and in a way beautiful. Like blockbusters vs 1950 movies

15. zakil25

zakil25 New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    An now what??? if Kaka' don't play the next game it will be a shame, I like african teams and football but what Kader did is scandalous.
    The FIFA should look at this case and let kaka play the next game .

I was not with the video but i'm starting to be convinced specially in this big events.

16. Ramon Allones

Ramon Allones Member

Feb 8, 2004
    I think tactical/defensive football holds an edge over attacking/beautiful football. The way Barca, Spain (2008), brazil etc. win is because those years their talent was just so superior and everything cliqued.

But if you have an off night or injuries (like barca losing Iniesta in Champs league) then it is hard to overcome the more tactical sides.

Don't get me wrong, I always root for the artistic sides (I'm a Spain supporter) but its always an uphill battle. It is rare to have an off night playing defensive tactics because defense is mostly about effort and keeping numbers back.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1 person likes this.
  18. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Maybe the winner is accepted in the Argentine University of Gamemanship..

And I thought this thread was supposed to be neutral. :rolleyes:

19. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ?
    :confused:

20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  21. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I expect the South Americans to win at all costs as I expect the Portuguese and the Italians to do so as well.

22. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    And then there's the ref being bad which mess you up regardless of the tactics.

:rolleyes: You popped out of the shadows just to troll.

23. Nexuus9

Nexuus9 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Brazil was clearly in control the majority of the game. I'm surprised they are getting such an easy pass by the media for what is surely the worst diving display so far this cup (and terrible double whammy hand ball being sold as skill by all networks). But then again they are winners and maybe that is enough to warrant a different standard on what constitutes diving/handball(s).

Not over yet. The way Queiroz has the team playing, North Korea could leave the pitch and it would take Portugal 10 minutes to stop passing the ball back and try to shoot it. Drogba's goal could prove immense.

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Every media outlet I've watched or read so far highlighted the handball on the second goal - even if they needed a replay to see it. Noone's giving him a pass on that.

25. Sranang

Sranang Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Suriname
    The referee should have been calling the cynical fouls by CIV more regularly.

That is how games get out of hand. Players get no protection from the referee they are going to try to take matters into their own hands.

Good thing is Elano is ok and says he can start next game. Kaka will not be missed horribly.

Dunga's choice for his replacement will be very interesting. It is likely to be Julio Baptista but we shall see