Match 12: New Zealand - Slovakia Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by sidspaceman, Jun 14, 2010.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ----------------------------------------------

New Zealand 1 - 1 Slovakia

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. MetroMatt

MetroMatt Member

Sep 21, 2000
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an unexpected equalizer. Terrible marking/confusion there by Slovakia.

3. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, fun end to this game. Equalized on a header that was not offiside. Hard to say it wasn't deserved, even if NZ was slightly outplayed.

4. Nuzzo

Nuzzo Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Bulgaria
    Great job by the All-Whites. Never EVER underestimate a warrior.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Didn't get up to watch the whole game but I just saw the NZ goal as I was heading to work.

Congrats All-Whites.

6. nonameisacat

nonameisacat New Member

May 29, 2010
    Sheesh. That's what I get for switching off to YouTube hakas a few minutes from full time.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well done New Zealand. Slovakia to me didn't deserve 3 points from this match. To be sure, they are better than New Zealand but when a UEFA representative plays a side like New Zealand and seems content with a 1 goal lead, creating few chances throughout the match, they just better not be in the World Cup. As I said before, I believe UEFA's quota should be reduced as we can get greater diversity in the World Cup without losing much in quality in the absence of sides like of Greece, Slovakia, Slovenia et al in the competition.

8. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

Sheesh...you couldn't have used a more CORNIER line :p.

Congrats though on the point.

9. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    slightly?;)

Slovakia simply pissed around to much, and it came back to haunt them as it tends to happen:D

gotta say Paraguay and Italy should have no troubles with both based on this game

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Justice done after the offside goal for SVK--in fact, justice would've been a NZ win. :)

The shouts in Asuncion were audible, I'm sure.

11. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a time to score.

What happened to Slovakia? They completely turned off the pressure, but all credit to the all whites.

12. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This happened to be an exciting game. Slovakia was slightly better than New Zealand, but they were, somewhat, naive by shaking like that in the end. I'm happy for New Zealand, because it's their first time, and sad for Slovakia, since they were going to make history.

13. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    how would it be justice for it to be a NZ win?

justice is a draw

gotta say the Slovaks were vastly overated

14. Navieko

Navieko Member

Jun 23, 2006
    QLD Aus
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Considering the first goal was offside Slovakia should consider themselves lucky to come away with any points.

New Zealand really have to learn to speed up their attacking buildup play, far too slow... but they should be proud nonetheless, as low as their chances are to get through the group stage, at least they still have something to fight for.

All 4 countries tied at a point.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    technically poor game

16. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh man! what a finish, i was pulling for our fellow english speakers and always like an exciting finish. this is a great example of why as a fan you have to always be there for the whole game, no matter if you're losing. I started screaming when reid scored (and probably woke my neighbors) what a great finish!

i was going to say Simon Elliot as man of the match because he was the best player out there, however he didn't have anything to do with the goal, but still a memorable game from him.

MOTM has to go to Reid, whose equalizer was one of the most exciting moments in the cup thus far. i remember him also making a game saving tackle 15 minutes prior that kept the score at 1-0. Its funny because when i came on to make this post i went to the oceania forum instead and clicked the new zealand/slovenia game where someone said Reid was rubbish and cost them that game. today he is the hero!!!

17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    who knows they had the game under control, NZ had nothing on offer and they just blew it

18. spitfire04

spitfire04 Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Torquay
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well done kiwis

as i posted on the oceania forum, i grew up in new Zealand, and now i am back in England, I noticed all the experts and pundits here writing NZ off....but i grew up in NZ, and I know they will fight and play 100%...its in their psyche

Great result, (should have won it)

Long live aoteoroa

19. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Man of the match has to be Weiss, only one providing quality on the pitch

20. Navieko

Navieko Member

Jun 23, 2006
    QLD Aus
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You don't seem very excited/happy at what's just happened... :confused:

Hell, even I was screaming in joy after seeing the goal and I'm not even from NZ.

Just saying...

21. spitfire04

spitfire04 Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Torquay
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol Condor is just a realist...and to be fair, NZ looked a bit dicey at times....but they back each other and fight like hell

22. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    well I dont particularly care for the All Whites, I only support Peru in futbol since thats the NT I grew up supporting.

been in NZ for 20 years and never had any interest in the All Whites in fact most of my friends growing up didnt have any interest in them

just glad they put up a fight and got a result(would have hated to see a repeat of the Spain debacle in the confed cup) but it dosnt hide the fact Slovakia blew this big time

23. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    thats their main attribute, they will scrap games out, and make things difficult when the opposition is not having the best of games

24. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    So was I.

Even though New Zealand doesn't have many ideas on the attack, they seem to defend pretty well. Paraguay and Italy aren't the kind of teams that will score many goals on a defensive team, so I don't think it's right to say they won't have any troubles with them.

25. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What matters most is tactical quality. Of course neither Slovakia or New Zealand have technical players like Italy or even Paraguay. But football is more than just technic. The two teams played open and demonstrated that they wanted to win, providing us a game with some goal chances.

I must admit that, usually, when i see a game from portuguese championship or even Champions League, i fell asleep, because of the many cautions that each team has. In this game, that wasn't the case. Neither team has anything to loose, so i like that they take riscs and fight until the end.