Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by Caesar, Jun 11, 2010.
Tshabalala's goal looks more awesome every time they replay it. What a strike.
Everybody is talking about it, adn why the call was correct.
Why don't you read the thread or watch a postgame show somewhere?
It was the correct call dude. The attacking player needs to be behind 2 PLAYERS of the defending team. People think it's one because the goalie typically doesn't come out that far. In this case the Mexican player was positioned past the goalie and there was only 1 defender between him and the goal when he ball was passed to him.
People need to realize that this was South Africa's most important game ever and they were playing at home. As a Mexico fan I do not mind the result one bit. I will take my chances against a flat France and Uruguay. Mexico is 7-3 against Uruguay and they beat them (including Forlan) in Copa America 2007. As for results, well after Aguirre took over he has had good results. I remember a couple of games that Mexico won 5-0 and 2-1 against this one team playing tomorrow.
Mexico actually prefers teams that like to attack. It gives them more space in the midfield and can use all the speed from Gio, Vela, and Juarez to counter. South Africa in the opening game was a tough match, no host has ever lost their opening match.
If the ball was crossed and Vela was not in an offside position, and the goalie leaped forward to clear the ball but missed, leaving Vela and the South African player on the line as the only defender then Vela's goal was incorrectly called back. If Vela was already in an offside position before the ball was crossed then the ref made the correct call. I have to see the replay. Let me repeat IF Vela was on, when the ball is crossed then it was the wrong call. I think Vela was on. The reason people say it was rightly called for offside is because they only see when the keeper leaps for the ball it looks like Vela is off, BUT if he was on when the ball was played it was a legit goal. Have to see the replay. It looked legit to me, but I havent seen the slomo replay as no one is repeating it. Kind of makes you wonder why they arent repeating it in the media.
I've seen the replay and it was clearly offside, case closed.
Well it wasn't. It was clearly offside in the replay.
I haven't so it might be closed for your professional opinion, but my meager opinion says it was legit. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
I knew it would be a draw. Host country never loses opening match.
There's no professional about it, only a decent understanding of the offside rule is needed. When the Mexican player heads the ball Vela is clealry in an offside psotion.
Yes, he was in an offside position. Just saw the replay.
Mexico are in a difficult position to qualify especially if they do not win against France which will not happen...
I only saw happy faces on TV. Didnt hear any whining in the any of the interviews of Mexican fans in Mexico or South Africa. All were pretty much expecting a tie and are looking forward to the next game.
How Italia? It's pretty much anyones group to win right about now.
The next games in this group will show who advances, that's just my opinion.
I can only comment on the first half, but it did seem at least in the first 30 minutes it was only a matter of time before Mexico put one away
no idea how the second half unfolded
That's right, but before this game Mexico was the favourite to win, now all teams with an equal chance
true unless they all tie...
Give credits to Pareira = Killing Mexico team right in between the 2 center backs (Marquez always up) and other guy was so awfully weak in positioning and stopping!
But that will be it for South Africa as they could NOT repeat the same against France and Uruguay!
They might be the first ever Host to lose in 1st round!
Imagine that! Everything will be decided then on the last game if they were all to tie on the next game.
Typical Mexican game today. They dominate possession and most of the run of play, but fail to make anything of it. RSA took their chance(s) and were unlucky to not steal 3 pts. Mexico (and Mexicans for that matter) need to realize that "dominating" a game doesn't mean playing keep-ball for 80 mins. It means beating a team that should be beaten, something they have always struggled to do (USA!!!).
That said, they always seem to play better against sides that play a similar style (Uruguay).
Looking now, neither side will get out of the group stage.
The problem I see with SA, is that France and Uruguay probably won't have so many holes in the backline for SA to exploit. That could strangle any attack for SA.
Yeah South Africa relied on counter attacking to generate most of their chances. Gonna get ugly because France and Uruguay back lines are more organized.
I'm Chileno, my wife is Mexican, my kid's are half mexican, and i live in Toronto. if anything i would have liked to see mexico win.
i said homie becuase its how i speak, always have.
and i stand by my point. Mexico could have won had they scored earlier...South Africa could have won had they not hit the post twice in the second half.
In the end the tie is a just result, and i think anyone that says Mexico was robbed it out of their minds and doesn't understand soccer. This is especially true if they think Inter robbed Barcelona as well.
And i'm sorry to say, because i love mexico, i follow mexican soccer very very closely, and i've been their cheering them on in the Azteca during qualifying ----- but its very common among Mexico fans to make up excuses and not accept when their team doesn't play well.
Mexico has been showing a lack of finishing for a while now...and its a team that doesn't translate ball posession into goals, which is a huge problem
Like Bielsa said of Chile, "its innacceptable that we control the ball 75% of the game and create as many goal scoring chances as the team that controls it 25% of the game". thats what happened today