Maryland Terps - 2014

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by No shinguards, Jan 21, 2014.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    thanks, I'm going to a show on campus at 3pm, should be able to be there for the start of this match (if at 5pm).

2. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where did you see 5 pm? I thought it was around noon.... ???

3. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  4. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Michael Dello-Russo took the head coaching job with Arizona United. That opens up a spot on the staff for someone. I'm not going to pretend to have any ideas on who might be considered for that position though.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Think he'd hire Rohrman back? He's already back in Maryland coaching at one of the big local clubs.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You must have some idea who might be considered, so spill it.

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  8. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Thanks for the heads up ... given the two days of heavy rain, I was thinking that they might not play. It will be a bit soggy out there.

9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    You're right. Just saw this --

10. Turtle777

Turtle777 Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Here's a nice little spring bonus---- Maryland vs Georgetown Thursday April 3rd at Ludwig 8pm. And no this is not an April fools joke

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Now they need to play in the regular season!

fknbuflobo repped this.
  12. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Tell that to the Maryland Athletic Department.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  13. Turtle777

Turtle777 Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Don't be surprised to see that happen this year.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  14. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maryland and Georgetown are 15 miles (maybe) apart? Can that be right?

I had no idea the two schools were that close.

Given the proximity, there is no defensible reason for two top-flight programs not to play every year!

Talk about a derby! Good for each school! Good for collegiate athletics! Good for American Soccer!

Somebody has been ducking someone.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's actually not the coaches. The Athletic Departments have been involved in a pissing match for years and won't schedule each other. It dates back, I seem to recall, to something to do with when John Thompson, Jr. was head coach of Georgetown hoops.

16. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Basically there's a pissing match between the basketball programs. It goes back to 1993. The Hoyas agreed to play a game at their gym against Maryland. The Hoyas played at the old US air arena which is actually closer to Maryland's campus than it is to Georgetown's. The game was actually scheduled by a promoter and the gate was split between the two schools with each school getting half the tickets. In fact Maryland wore the home jerseys in the game and the Hoyas wore the road jerseys. Georgetown was upset by Maryland in the game. The next year they tried to negotiate a return game at Maryland's arena. The Hoyas requested that like the last game the gate be split and each school get half the tickets. Maryland refused since it was their on campus arena and not an off camus arena that's rented like Georgetown did with the Capital center. Georgetown refused to play. Maryland fans to this day insist Georgetown was/is scared to play Maryland. They have not scheduled a basketball game since then.

They were in talks a couple years ago to start playing the series in basketball again, but the Maryland AD leaked the talks to try and put pressure on Georgetown. We didn't take kindly to that so talks stopped. Then in another stupid move the Maryland AD put an ultimatum that the schools would not play in any sports until they played in basketball. Of course this has since been broken once in field hockey, but all other sports have not played each other since. Prior to that the schools played each other regularly in a number of sports.

That being said the soccer programs stopped playing each other before the latest Athletic department nonsense. The Hoyas and Maryland used to play every year. Maryland is the far superior program. For a long time the games weren't that competitive. But strangely after a couple years of competitive games with Maryland winning in the waning minutes or drawing suddenly there was no room on the schedule for Georgetown and instead they only scrimmaged each other for a couple years. Then the AD pulled his stunt and the teams weren't even allowed to scrimmage anymore. Looks like he's relenting on that now.

17. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Yes, because Sasho is definitely known for ducking people. Unless I'm seeing bad data, we're 28-0-1 against Georgetown all-time. Yeah, we know what that one was, but still, the idea that Maryland soccer is scared of Georgetown is ridiculous.

It's a nice bit of projection though since Georgetown, and namely JT2, never returned the home game against Maryland. That game was what put Gary's team on the map (Joe Smith's first game at Maryland too) and then all of a sudden there's an issue? Come on. Also, the stance on the Maryland side is that we're happy to play, Georgetown just owes us a home game first. Just because we have more fans and filled Landover (can't remember what it was called then) doesn't mean it wasn't actually a Georgetown home game.

18. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've wondered about this issue for years.. It' really makes no sense to "demand" 1/2 the tickets at your opponents home venue... of course UMD said no.. as I suspect G-town would do on their home floor... What should have happened - Is that they agree to a 4 year run.. starting.. either place, with a 75-25 ticket split favoring the home court team.. they already did a nuetral court at 50/50.... does it matter which court gets the next game ? YES - as if its a BLOW out.. nobody is going to the NEXT one...

19. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    But Maryland got half the tickets at Georgetown's "home" venue. It only makes sense for Georgetown to expect reciprocation.

20. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game was actually scheduled by a promoter and the gate was split between the two schools with each school getting half the tickets. In fact Maryland wore the home jerseys in the game and the Hoyas wore the road jerseys.

Maybe I misunderstood.. I thought it was played at a nuetral site.... ( based on the above from your post)...

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    But it wasn't "their" home venue. It was a venue that was available to whomever was willing to pay the rent, be that Georgetown or a promoter of a one-off event.

It ain't like they played this at McDonough.

(If you get a chance, watch Requiem For The Big East, the 30-for-30 documentary that aired last month. Goes into great detail about how and why the Big East schools ended up in big off-campus arenas. Also a generally excellent documentary, especially if you grew up watching Big East hoops when the conference came of age. Also explains a lot of the numbers behind the influence of football and why so much realignment happened, which obviously trickles down to our little corner here.)

That said, both ADs need to stop acting like children and put this squabble behind them for the best of their programs, both basketball and non-revenue.

UofIneedssoccer, fknbuflobo and 24Seven repped this.
  22. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    US air arena was the arena where Georgetown played their home games from 1981-1997. It was a very weird situation where it could be argued that Georgetown wasn't the home team in the arena they played all of their games. And if Maryland wants to argue that it wasn't really Georgetown's home court then they can't possibly claim that Georgetown owes them a home game.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  23. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    No one's arguing that it wasn't Georgetown's home court. It was, that's the whole point. Not our fault that our fans bought up the seats.

24. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UMD soccer would be happy to play a G-town soccer scrimmage at a neutral site..... pretty sure of that!

25. Turtle777

Turtle777 Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Fall schedule should be out soon and I'm hearing Georgetown and Maryland will play, where I don't know. Soccerplex?