Maryland Terps - 2014

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by No shinguards, Jan 21, 2014.

1. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to get this thread started so we don't lose info in the old 2013 thread. This is shaping up to be an exciting year all around as some players leave for Greener pastures, and Others unexpectedly stay.... And of course, looking for that big warm Welcome from the B1G !!!

2. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Welcome to the Terps from the B1G! Re the Terps and the B1G, the MD vs. PSU games could be interesting going forward. The Terps and Nittany Lions have a bit of recent history, having played each other in the preseason (a photo of the 2012 preseason game at Penn State below) the last 2 years, and both games were ties. Of course, those were just preseason matches. In the NCAA playoffs, Terps knocked PSU out 1-0 in 2010 at MD, and the Terps also won 2-1 in 2009 NCAAs at PSU. Penn State has some guys from Maryland are on the Penn State team, including Eli Dennis (in photo below), and Nate Lee, who is the brother of recent Terp Alex Lee. And the Terps have Alex Shinsky and Zack Steffen hailing from Pennsylvania. So there are some neighboring state and cross-border connections that might add some additional flavor to these MD vs. PSU games.

upload_2014-1-21_9-55-37.png

3. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About time! Started to think you were waiting for February.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Who is gonna score the goals?

5. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    What does our B1G trophy look like? Will it fit in well with our collection of ACC trophies?

6. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was waiting to see if someone else would get it going.....

7. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted a potential spring line up in the 2013 Thread.... Kabelic is a likely forward candidate.... It'll be interesting to see the formation as, they will probably have to transform a Midfielder into a Forward.. again...

8. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing they will have to build a whole new room for B1G trophies......

9. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Since you asked, here is what the B1G trophy looks like ... [​IMG]

soccersubjectively and fknbuflobo repped this.
  10. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated ideas.....

____________________Steffen______________________

Railey __________Chris____________Suli__________Ambrose

_______________Metzger_____________________________

Endoh____________________Corboz______________Shinsky

________________?(Kabelic)?_____?( ??? )?________________

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's a big ask for a kid with three career goals.

12. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Welcome to the conference. We hope you enjoy your visits to Ann Arbor. The Wolverines like playing BIG games at College Park!:)

13. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he hasn't gotten a lot of minutes in the past.. he is a little unorthodox.....but creative and strong.. not quite as big as Pace was.. but a strong physical player....with better feet.

14. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah- but those Sood brothers are gone now .. aren't they.

WolverineFutbol repped this.
  15. Turtle777

Turtle777 Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Strong rumors Sash has found a forward from Holland. All I know is he's about 6'2" no idea of how good he is.

16. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things. One fact, one curiosity.

Fact: Mael Corboz has transferred into the program. 10 G/13 A the last two years at Rutgers.

Curiosity: I know that for at least a few years now, Sasho has run either a 4-1-2-1-2 or a 4-1-3-2 to great success. With the loss of four forwards (Mullins, Pace, Tshuma, Francois) though, I got to thinking if an unorthodox 4-1-2-2-1 might make any sort of sense. Here's an idea of what it could look like: [​IMG]

It's definitely not a conventional look, but without any options at forward who have serious time up there, Kabelik and Ryan Reid being the only two on the roster with experience up there, this might not be the worst idea. Thoughts?

18. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the strength of the 4-1-2-1-2 coming from having attacking options that are not dependent solely on the forwards, while also not leaving yourself defensively exposed? At least that's what the formation has done for me in Football Manager. ;)

fknbuflobo repped this.
  19. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In France more teams are currently using this shape. For example Lyon is being rejuvenated since they are using it this year: it allows Rémi Garde to have both Grenier and Gourcuff excelling on the pitch together. This also requires very good wide backs, able to overlap and provide good crosses, requiring both the discipline and the positional sense of the holding midfielder to cover the marauding wide backs.
    The mid-field in diamond. I love it.:inlove:

20. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like deja vu. I remember when Patrick Mullins was entering his sophomore year and the same question was being asked by you lot. And I remember replying "what about Patrick Mullins?" and a few were saying he had potential and others were saying he wasn't up to par.

So now I ask "What about Ryan Reid?" He's not a freak athlete like his brother Eric, but what I can remember is that he's a superior athlete none the less. A knack for scoring goals and always seemed to be making the right runs. Now I haven't seen him play at a collegiate level, but maybe some of you can shed a little light on his progress.

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Not really comparable. Mullins had been ACC freshman of the year.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
  23. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Ryan Reid:

As a R-Fr., he played 11 minutes over two matches and scored one goal. It's certainly likely that he sees a lot more playing time in 2014, but we really don't have much to go on.