March 19th MLS Exhibition at Dyees? Stadium

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Nutz, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Nutz

Nutz New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Glenn mentioned this on his radio show and I just came across a brief article on foxsportsworld.com: Rapids vs. RSL

What the hell is Dyees Stadium? I hope they mean Dyer stadium. I could walk to that place.

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS site shows a Rapids x RSL pre-season game scheduled in Las Vegas on Mar. 19, but doesn't provide the stadium name. Dunno.

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Last I read, there have been problems getting a venue in Vegas so they were considering moving the match to another city.

4. Nutz

Nutz New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Houston, TX
    did a search on dyees stadium on google and this is 1 of only 3 websites that google could find...

http://www.mlsexhibitions2005.com/

pretty good indication that the game's in houston, but still no local media coverage besides glenn's mention on radio show...

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link. I've never heard of that stadium either. It doesn't appear to be on TexasBob's site or on the Chron's high school stadium list. I know there's no stadium of that name at Rice and I don't think it's at UH or TSU.

6. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally listened to Glenn's show from last week on the KPFT archives. I think he's right in suggesting that having this exhibition in Houston right now could be a net negative. He argues that this game needs to be in a small venue - like a park facility - and promoted as just a pre-season exhibition. If you put in a large venue like Robertson and don't manage expectations about the level of play, which players will be there, and the expected crowd, then it would look like a bust. I guess we'll see how it shakes out, if at all.

8. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to listen to Glenn's show yesterday for the first time in a long time. He didn't mention the exhibition.

On another note, he said the World Cup trophy was going to be at the Houston Museum of Natural Science starting tomorrow for a few days. He said you could get your picture taken with it. No idea what the charge is if any.

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoot. I normally work in La Porte, but I might be working up in Decatur, Texas, on that day, and unable to make it to the game. It'd sure be nice to see Jason Kreis, Superstar, once again!

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the info from today's Glenn column:

Also:
    Houston Chronicle - Soccer Notebook

12. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where can i get tickets and directions

13. Nutz

Nutz New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Tickets for the MLS exhibition range in price from $15 to $35 and can be purchased at ticketweb.com or by calling 866-468-7630.

Tickets are also available at Fiesta locations starting Monday.

I also received information that Kicks indoor soccer center is selling them: www.kicksindoor.com

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if this is the D.O. Laird Stadium in La Porte ISD listed at Texas Bob's site?

15. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's the stadium. It's on the campus of La Porte High School. If anyone does need directions, PM me.

Anyone else coming to this game?

16. algcs

algcs New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Dayton Tx
    I'll be there. Hopefully the weather holds up.

Did anyone managed to get tickets from Fiesta? They though we were crazy when we tried to get tickets there.

17. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! No, we got ours at a little soccer shop here in town. I didn't want to make the trek to Fiesta.

18. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    $35 for a "good seat" at an MLS exhibition in a high school stadium on what I presume to be a narrow field!! What the hell are they thinking? I was able to see the finals (2 games) of the Interliga (good teams in a serious competition) in the comfort of Reliant stadium for $25. $25 also got me a double header with Santos Laguna - KC wizards and Guatemala-el Salvador NTs. Savy consumers will probably avoid this game. They should make it at most $15 general admission, sit where you like.

19. Nutz

Nutz New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Houston, TX
    would love to make it, but already had plans for the evening...

20. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I believe this game is a going to be a PR disaster. $35 for an exhibition game??? Give me a break. No one is going to pay that kind of money for an exhibition MLS game that nobody has any ties to.

They had 1,300 fans last Friday at a Klein High School soccer game. They will be lucky to get to this number for this one.

21. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget there are $15 seats, which isn't bad at all. The $35 just includes the parking and stuff. When I talked to the lady at the soccer shop I got my tickets from, she said they had already sold all 100 of the general admission seats and most of the VIP seats they were given. I just hope the weather holds out.

22. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Don't get me wrong, I hope it suceeds and I hope you guys in South Houston come out in droves. I just think the MLS did not think this one through very good.

23. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a small crowd, but I couldn't really tell you how small. The stadium has two main stands and only one was being used. It felt a lot like the size of crowds we get at Rice for women's soccer, which is usually in the low hundreds. Given the weather conditions (cold for Houston, plus thunderstorm and hail advisories all day) and the way out of the way location for most people, it was probaby about all you could expect. I think the venue was generally appropriate in terms of size for the event, but La Porte is way out there. I don't mean to sound like a snobby Inner-Looper, but if we had bothered to find out just how long it took to get out there, I'm not sure we would've done it. Maybe one of the HISD high school stadiums would be a better idea. Dunno. Anyway, the quality of play was better than I expected and we saw some good goals. RSL's white uni's are pretty cool.

Oh yeah, and getting tickets needs to be made a little easier. I also tried Fiesta and had that what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about experience. Fortunately, the Fiesta had an attendant who at least called around to find out where to get tickets. She said there was only one Fiesta in town that had them. We ended up just getting tickets at the stadium box office, but it wound up being $20 for general admission. That's not an outrageous price, but the promoters really need to work on the ticketing process if they do something here again.

24. algcs

algcs New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Dayton Tx
    We almost stayed home because of the weather. It really did look like we were going to have a thunderstorm durning the game.

25. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Very sad marketing by the MLS. MLS wants to promote the game to future expansion cities like this? Horrible display. A high school stadium out in the middle of nowhere with no promotion.

The MLS should be ashamed of themselves.