Marc Pelosi at Liverpool

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see and hear. With how important Pelosi was to the U17's i wouldnt have thought of pushing him back to LB.

2. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Well get ready for more movement overseas from last U17 nationals.... Breaking news. The soccer drain is only going to get bigger

3. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This wouldn't be a terrible revelation. If they can turn Pelosi into a functioning, well not only functioning LB but a half decent one then that would be a good thing. With all the young midfield talent coming up through the pipelines to the NT it would be nice to have a natural LB who could play at a high level.

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who might you be talking about?

5. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was merely pointing out given how important he was to our U17's attack i wouldnt have imagined him playing LB.

6. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fehr and Guido perhaps??

More likely he is just stating a generalization rather then a specific.

7. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the national team is important, I think as a football player, Pelosi's going to play where he's seen as best to develop and make a go of it at the top level.

Pelosi and Liverpool rightfully don't care so much about what spot might be better for the US down the road.

That said, if they could get a functional LB out of him in 3-5 years time, (even a second choice one if that's sewn up) I don't think USSF and the manager would complain at all.

8. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arriola and Acosta maybe?

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well many of the U-17 will be turning 18 soon, which means they can go abroad.

Dunno if that was anything to do with it.

10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang. Well my own preferences aside, I hope he doesn't come to regret that. Leeds have a pretty good record with their Academy and young players are getting chances to play. The glamour clubs like Liverpool would still be there if he made his mark at Leeds.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but Liverpool have the 2nd best academy in the world! Pep said so!!!1!1!1!1!!!eleventyone!1!!

13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I am bias but right now I would chose Everton in terms of developing and getting EPL minutes in a few years.

14. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm still really curious to find out what position Liverpool have him playing.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played left back recently.

16. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Just an update about Pelosi. He played in today's match at U18s for LFC at Man U. LFC won 2-1 and Pelosi was a standout player in the match (along with Dunn).

After the match he tweeted

Fantastic team performance today, manchester #who ?

His twitter is @marcPelosi, if any want to follow him. :)

17. Woeisme

Woeisme Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The reason he was playing left back was because we were short of players. I think he is earmarked for the left but it doesn't hurt him being versatile.

As said above he played today against the mancs and was the best player on show. Should have scored a few and in the last minute he helped set up the winner with a brilliant 40 yard pass.

Its the first time I've seen him play a full 90 and I was impressed. Seems to have a bit of everything. He will probably get a bit of time with the reserves but not that much since Raheem Sterling is the main man down the left at that level.

18. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is there a possible domino effect? I keep hearing (and seeing) Dowling is not settling effectively for the first team, which may give Sterling an early opportunity with the senior club *if* they think he's ready, which in turn could open up the spot on the reserves.

19. Woeisme

Woeisme Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Its possible but very unlikely. Sterling is still only 16 and has Downing, Bellemy, and Maxi ahead of him.

Chances are Pelosi will play a number of positions for the u18s and reserves so I wouldn't worry about how much he plays. It certainly is good for American soccer that he is here because Liverpools academy is now probably the best in England from u15 right up to reserves with loads of internationals in all age groups. For instance we just signed a 14 year old ahead of Chelsea for £1.5/£2 mil.

20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current title holders of the 2010-2011 Premier Academy League would like to argue you are not even the best academy in Liverpool :)

21. Woeisme

Woeisme Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They would but then they only got there on the last day of the season beating us with a load of 6 feet plus cloggers. The mancs also scraped a win in the fa youth cup but we did the double in the league this and last year. City had a great youth set up but seem to have gone down hill. Maybe the money in the first team has affected it?

Cloggers maybe being a bit harsh, they are one of the best academy's about.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to turn this into Everton vs Liverpool academy debate but if I were a talented young prospect I would seriously consider going to Everton over just about every other club. One of the main reason's is because Everton is not going to go out and spend 50 million on a tall lanky bench quality striker so getting into the first team is actually realistic.

Anyways, Marc seems to be in a good situation (I may be a little bitter that he chose Liverpool over Everton)

23. Woeisme

Woeisme Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I see your point and agree to a certain extent. Out of the lower clubs in the league Everton are probably the best to got to because they have a good system and there is more chance you will get first team football. On the other hand players tend to get better playing with better players and if they have the quality will make it whether its with that club or an other club elsewhere.

24. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genuine question how many Premiership quality players have Liverpool produced compared to Liverpool in the past 5 years?

25. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one from swindon town? What a shame.

History suggests 6 years from now said 14 year old will be sent packing for the next promising youngster and he'll end up plying his trade at shrewsbury or carlisle.