Marc Pelosi at Liverpool

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 19, 2008.

1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big news for Pelosi. How's he doing other wise though?

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    There hasn't been an official announcement from Liverpool about his signing but if he signed when his agent tweeted that pic, my guess it was official then.

I haven't seen him listed on any of their recent U-18 match reports, so not sure if he's been promoted directly to their reserves?

3. strago

strago Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marc has really impressed me the few times I've seen him play.He looked to be pro-ready during the U-17 WC. I like the fact that he seems to have all the characteristics of a complete player -- one that is versatile but not in that sense he wil get shifted around because he doesn't have a natural position. Marc kinda sorta reminds me of a poor man's Gerrard. So maybe it is perfect that he'll have a chance to see him up closec and personal.

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn I hate Liverpool. But I hate them a little less now.

Just a little.

6. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going into the best academy setup outside of Barcelona. Not a bad way to start your career.

7. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can this myth please stop. They grabbed a coach or two from Barcelona's cantera and now all of a sudden they're the second best in the world? Right.

8. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    *face palm*

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seriously................a reasonable person could suggest they don't have the best academy in Liverpool alone.

10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with what you are getting at.

12. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think the comments that seem to be attributed to Pep probably aren't, they do have a solid Academy right now and most would buy that. If you look merely at the numbers on the u19 and below teams Liverpool have come a long way with some interesting prospects. Obviously that means little until one or two make the real team, but at the present they have a few to keep an eye and some hope for. As for the two they got from Barca they do have some credibility and respect in development circles.

On Pelosi, he could do way worse for certain

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh, I'm not going to argue any of that.........but saying Liverpool is the best academy in the world outside of Barcelona (which the earlier poster said) is utter nonsense. They're certainly focusing on youth development more in the Dalglish era that's for sure. Perhaps a decade from now somebody can say that without getting mocked hysterically.

14. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the opinion stems from a poorly circulated interview where Pep compliments Liverpool's academy. He knows the guys there, and it makes sense. From what most Liverpool fans have been able to figure out, it was from a radio interview in Spain and he had a few nice words to say, but most aren't sure that he said it was the "next best". Unfortunately, the soccer media has seized upon it.

I wouldn't put them in the top 2, certainly, but I think they're striving to be in that top 10 discussion. I don't know if they're there now, (probably not) but they're certainly closer now than they were a few seasons ago. I think the nextGen series should be interesting to see who has what.

15. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    For those who don't know, LFC have altered their youth system in the last couple of years. The Academy was revamped in Rafa's last year and the club is seeing the benefits of it with a dramatically improved pipeline of young prospects. The Reserves have also been changed such that LFC use the Reserves to field primarily young players rather than first team squad players. The likes of Sterling and Suso have been shining in the Reserves despite being only 16. Basically they are all teenagers apart from possibly one or two players who are 20/21.

If Pelosi is now part of the LFC Reserves at 17 then he will be playing with players of a similar age.

I should give a note of caution though. Expectations about Pelosi should be tempered. LFC have a really stacked group of youngsters currently, possibly their strongest ever batch. Competition is very tough and a player at 17 is a long way from where he will be at 21. Realistically Pelosi is unlikely to make the breakthrough into the first-team at LFC. Just on the numbers game, most don't make it even with a stream-lined system from Academy into first-team.

I have not yet seen Pelosi play. Can someone with knowledge of him please outline his position(s), qualities and footballing attributes.

16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Making it from the reserves to the 1st team of any quality club is always dicey at best. We're (U.S. fans) so excited that one of our youth players was signed to such a storied club like Liverpool that we get ahead of ourselves (at least some do). Realistically, it's a longshot for Pelosi to make it to Liverpool's 1st team, but I'm still interested in his journey.

17. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if he doesn't make it at Liverpool, if he does well with the reserves in time, he'll catch on somewhere. Look around La Liga and you'll find guys from Barcelona and Madrid's youth systems all over the league and playing well. Of course, you'll also find some lingering around in the lower divisions.

18. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played left wing with the U17s, left footed, can strike the ball insanely well and is great on set pieces. Number 11 in these highlights:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGiQQn1O3us"]2.27.11 U-17 Highlights - Canada v USA - YouTube[/ame]
    Scores a goal here, but you can see how good his free kicks are towards the end of the video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0CqDFEDOc&feature=relmfu"]2.25.11 U-17 Highlights - USA v Jamaica - YouTube[/ame]
    Assists the second goal and scores the third(warning: turn the sound off)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HPsJOUzPU"]2.22.11 U-17 Highlights - USA v El Salvador - YouTube[/ame]

Only reservation was his hot head in qualifying, but he'll surely mature out of that.

19. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Great info! But better than the batch that took the FA Youth Cup in 1996 - better than Gerrard, Owen, Carragher? :eek:

20. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's interesting to see the English papers list him as a center mid when whenever I've seen him play with the US U-17's he's been a left winger. He's got a cannon of a shot.

21. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    The difference is this time there are so many prospects who look like they could break through into the first team rather than one or two. Robinson, Kelly and Flanagan already have. Sterling, Suso, Silva, Morgan, Adorjan, Coady, and Wisdom are all very impressive and hotly tipped. There are others too. There is currently great excitement amongst the LFC fans who follow the Academy and Reserve games. The Academy has come on leaps and bounds in the past 2 seasons. There is now more than 30 Youth Internationals of various age-groups in the LFC Youth system.

Pelosi is joining the LFC Academy at a great time. Whether he makes it or not at Liverpool, he will be getting excellent coaching while he is there. The current owners and manager are all very supportive of the Youth System at the club and it's importance to the future of the club. I heard we had someone from the LFC Academy visiting Ajax Academy today, to gain extra knowledge about how they are currently operating things in Amsterdam. The club is very open about continuing to improve it's Youth system and importing the best practices from around the World. This can only be good for Pelosi.

22. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It would be interesting to know if LFC are using him as a left winger or have decided he is better suited at a different position. From what I have seen revelationx he is a very aggressive player, too much so a lot of times, but I agree that he will grow out of that. Seemed to work harder than a lot of the other players from the games I was able to watch, and because of that he was a lot more consistently productive. He was good with the ball and kept possession well, but I don't remember a lot of 1v1 moments from him. Seemed to put himself in really good positions on the field rather take players on from the LW. Thats just what I remember from a few friendly games as well as a few WCQs and WC.

23. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're also really focusing on pass and move (like Kenny likes anyhow) and making sure that their players are technically sound. It's the Barca mentality, as best they can, with a bit more grit (they are in England after all) and it's being taught and pushed throughout.

Like has been said, his making it through is certainly a long shot, but if he can stay healthy and stick through it, he's going to get better for it.

As for where he's going to be used, from what I can gather, the left, but at this age, they're not really sold on one particular spot for many of their offensive players. Sterling, probably Liverpool's best young player also might hinder his chances out wide left.

24. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Pelosi played for LFC U-18s today. I think he played LB. Bolton won 2-1. They took the lead from a penalty and then LFC got a man sent off and Bolton made it count to take the pts. Pelosi came on as a sub and played at LB. Apparently he played well.

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear.