Marc Pelosi at Liverpool

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 19, 2008.

1. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Re: #1 Player has Liverpool offer

Seeing as how John Henry and Marc Pelosi have no relation whatsoever, I would assume that there is actually no nepotism at all. If Marc Pelosi is worth a spot in the academy, then it's not even favoritism.

I presume John Henry can see the value in having an American player rise through the ranks at Liverpool to become an EPL and USMNT star though (for the club, not for the US). They may be going out of their way to see if they can find a worthy American to join the academy.

2. Bob34

Bob34 New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC

While there is no relationship to JH, there is a relationship elsewhere that JH is certainly favorable towards. Having said that, I do believe that if Mark Pelosi ever gets 1st team minutes it would be because he desrves them.

3. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I know we are OT..but one of Henry's biggest complaints in MLB is revenue sharing, i.e. anyone buying redsox or yankee licensed merchandise the $$$ is divided up. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but that is not the case in the EPL. If Liverpool increases market share in the US it would mean more money for LFC. and in the context of this discussion i think JWH understands that winning is way more important than having a token american or two.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

There's TV revenue sharing in the EPL.

'Pool probably gets around $80M annually.

BTW, John Henry ain't gonna place Pelosi in the starting lineup with Stevie, Dirk and Louie.

This is nothing more than a chance to prove himself.

If legitimate, Marc should take it.

5. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

It's a chance to attend one of the elite academies in the world, if he turns it down to go to college I will become ill.

6. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Re: Marc Pelosi in Germany, Sort Of

If Pelosi does join LFC he won't feel any pressure to play for Germany in the future, whereas in the Bundesliga...

7. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Liverpool has been turning out quite a few first-teamers from their academy system, quite different from teams like ManU, Man City, or Chelsea. Flanagan and Spearing started games under Dalglish last year, and Kelly is another name on their first-team roster.

At the very least, Pelosi will find a strong level of competition against which he can try to improve.

EDIT: Didn't include Gerrard and Carragher, as they are from an earlier era in terms of LFC's academy system.

8. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

Plus Jack Robinson who is 17 played against Arsenal. Dalglish also fielded Shelvey quite a few times as a sub. Shelvey is not an Academy product but is still a teenager. In Dalglish LFC now have a coach who knows all the Youth Team players extremely well. Immediately prior to taking over as LFC Manager in Jan 2011, Dalglish worked with the Academy for a couple of years and thus knows all the young players there pretty well.

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

I watched the youth FA cup this year and LFC's side was definitely one of the best if not the best academy team out there.

Raheem Sterling is a fantastic player, I know he is a QPR product but those are the caliber players that come into LFC.

He scored 5 goals in a Liverpool youth win over South End United, and I think he'll get some time with the first team this year as well.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Pelosi is training at Liverpool since yesterday.

Sorry, no online source yet.

12. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I watched Raheem Sterling at the U-something. He's really good.

13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

He's not the only one. 6 of the England U-17's were from Liverpool (including Sterling) and one kid played for U-17 New Zealand (I believe.)

Martin Kelly, Jay Spearing, John Flanagan, Jack Robinson are all young guys who broke into first team and are academy products through and through.

Jonjo Shelvey, Dani Pacheco, Emiliano Insua, Danny Wilson, David Ngog, Daniel Ayala are all young guys who came to Liverpool as teenagers and have seen first team experience at Liverpool and on loan.

While all ten guys mentioned may not go on to be Carraghers/Gerrards they all have futures at top flight clubs.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i just heard on the San Jose-RSL halftime report that Pelosi has been signed by liverpool! :D i hope theyre right!

15. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pelosi is really talented for his age. Good signing by Pool'. Pelosi might be one of our most polished kids we had in the system who also had talent in awhile.

16. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

Various reports that Pelosi has signed for LFC. I should mention that LFC also signed Villyan Bijev this weekend too. So 2 Americans in the same weekend. Standards must be slipping! LOL ;)

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

F*ck yeah!:D

18. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Waiting to make sure people just aren't mixing the two up. Obviously Pelosi is much more well known than Bijev, so when it was revealed that "An American youth" had signed with them, everyone opted for Pelosi who had an offer from them anyway.

It would be awesome if it's both, but it sounds like something easy to misconstrue.

19. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas

There is a 3rd U.S. youth national team player arriving today at Liverpool trialing. :)

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WTF :eek:

21. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Bijev, Pelosi and ???

technically Bejev and Pelosi are not trailing :)

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Esteban Rodriguez?:confused:

23. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal

It's like a reverse British invasion!

24. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hyndman? :)

25. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From his thread in the Youth Team forum, Andrew Oliver, leading goal scorer in U17 qualifying (and persona non grata at B'ton soon after), is training with an "EPL team" and won't be at the Adidas thing.

Haven't a clue whether that's Liverpool, but it's possible.