ManUre v Arsenal, Premiership Matchday 10, 3rd November 2012

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Jamooky, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Unfortunately RvP is the most talented player in the league. No team can mark him for an extended period. He scores goals from so many types of situations that it's scarey.

2. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we should just man mark RVP for the game, a la middle school soccer. He's their best player? Put a defender that stays on him the entire game.

:)

gogunners14 repped this.
  3. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think this is going to be a great match. Their defense is deplorable. They have no midfield. But they can score the crap out of the ball. If we can defend well and get Theo and Podolski into dangerous positions, there's no reason we can't get something.

4. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    on like donkey kong

[​IMG]

5. UnionFan11

UnionFan11 Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We need to put Theo at CF this game. He has way too much pace for their CBs. Throw Ox and Lukas on the wings and I think with JW10, Santi, and Arteta's passing we can tear their defense to shreds. Just please, either Verm or Sagna at CB.... For some crazy reason, Im optimistic about this game. I think our defense is much stronger then theirs.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Job 1 is to take care of Valencia around our left. And please tell the refs to pull the yellow on Valencia:devilish: when he can't turn around the fb and goes towards the corner of the box and falls down at first sight of the cb. It just gives me a headache watching it.

7. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    walcott has already played 144 minutes this week.
    sagna at cb? yeah, he's really experienced there and at 5ft9 he'd surely dominate any aerial threat........

8. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure what to make of this one.

Robin cannot score, in any context. I expect if he's through on goal, a professional foul is committed, and Verm/Per get a four-match ban. lol...... Or they "accidentally" tackle him harshly, and he gets injured.

United played well against Chelsea, so I think they are slight favourites.

9. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    if RVP does score, i expect a very mooted celebration...

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As he was our captain at this time last season, I would hope so too.

11. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Anything short of taking his jersey off to reveal an Arsenal jersey underneath and then immediately voiding his contract and switching teams at half time will be considered unacceptable. And you probably meant "muted"... sorry couldnt resist

Rojinegro1 repped this.
  12. UnionFan11

UnionFan11 Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I meant to say either Verm or Sagna at LB... Please no Santos

13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You know, this might be the kind of defense that Vermaelen is best suited for.

14. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was kidding of course, but I am kind of curious if any professional teams ever employ that tactic... I don't think I've really seen it, but I think it would be super frustrating to a player like RVP to have someone on your hip the entire game.

15. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    it has advantages and disadvantages.
    the good: it can take the best player right out of the game.
    the bad: if used right by the marked player it can leave big spaces that can be exploited.

speaking of defending, can we please dump this zonal marking rubbish and go back to man marking for set pieces.

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We have used zonal marking the last two seasons and our set piece goals conceded has declined. Liverpool, with zonal marking under Benitez, had one of the best goal conceded on set pieces record in the premiership.

I never get why people harp on zonal marking when man to man marking concedes just as many goals when there is a foul up. You never hear anyone say, "lets dump this man to man marking rubbish" when someone concedes off that. And more importantly back when we were man to man marking, we were tops in the league in percentage of goals off set pieces.

It is this weird British thing I just dont get. Maybe because its easier for pundits and fans to blame one person for a goal with man to man, whereas with zonal its a bit more difficult and confusing.

Me, whatever tactic works best for our team I will take it, and it seems like zonal marking actually works the best.

17. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i hate pure zonal marking, in fact, more than that, i detest it with a passion. if you use any form of zonal marking it's best being a partial, mixed system.

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the hate doesnt seem rational.

19. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    it's completely rational.

20. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    just to the naked eye, it seems we are getting beat to headers more regularly with zonal marking.. guys may not score, but they are beating us to the ball.
    teams have missed sitters against us.

21. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    This. Watching him against Chelsea, I remembered how insanely talented he is. Had he styed healthy, I think he'd reach Henry status and we would have paid him whatever he wanted.

My (painful) guess- 2-1 to the bad, with RVP scoring the winner and Ian and Macca proceeding to spend 25 minutes prattling on about the typical talking points (no scoring threat without RVP, haven't won anything in 50 years, etc.; all the typical nonsense).

22. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I'm not big on zonal marking. This is not based on stats per se but from experience playing within both systems. The thing I really hated was allowing the other team runs into the box without having to deal with being pushed around and tugged by another body. Even if I was in position zongin, I felt at a disadvantage if the ball wasn't heading directly for my head.

23. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pure zonal marking probably works well for Stoke City but I just don't see how it can succeed for Arsenal.

24. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the general idea of zonal, it's the specific implementation, the coaching of the tactic, and the players. As Prince said we were fantastic defending set plays last season with zonal marking. Van Persie was a big part of that, actually, but Giroud has the ability to do it too.

We have been crap this season on set piece defending, but it's not because zonal marking doesn't work.

25. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently OX is out for this one. Training injury, out 2 weeks. Arsenal have the worst medical team.