ManU vs. ManCity...The Showdown on ESPN and the Ratings game

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it won't matter, but I just saw a quick promo for the game during the NFL Draft. It's great that the game is getting this coverage, no matter what though.

"The Manchester derby. After City lay down the gauntlet, United fought back. Now, can the noisy neighbors regain control of the title race? City vs United; 2:30 Monday on ESPN and ESPN3."

A graphic showed that the game is on ESPN, ESPN3, WatchESPN, and ESPN Deportes.

2. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    With ESPN marketing the game (my initial assessments came true a few weeks ago...the game will end-up on ESPN if relevant, and With more hype than normal), now here is my final take...

ESPN will get around 700k-800k viewers making it the highest rated EPL game to date on ESPN's platform...(one of my other initial assessment)..with 0.5 rating...

ESPNDep will get another 100k to 150k Spanish viewers...

Anything over 800k+ will be on the far end of the projection, but probable...a 0.6 rating is in-play as well for ESPN.

Solid streaming on ESPN3.com and Watch ESPN App.

3. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
  4. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kudos

5. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Remember that the MLS FINAL in 2011, with David Beckham, got an 0.7% household rating on ESPN during Sunday night prime time (albeit against NFL on NBC.)

Man City vs Man Utd has a chance to beat that rating, at 3pm Eastern/12noon Pacific on Monday. The pubs on the west coast will be doing brisk business during lunch time.

6. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    State Farm Insurance has once again decided to run a SPANISH-language ad without subtitles, starring actor Puerto Rican actor/signer Carlos Ponce, on ESPN U.S., right before the kickoff of the ENGLISH-language telecast of Man City vs Man United:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSO3l1s7M80"]State Farm® - Estado de Conveniencia (State of Convenience en Español) - YouTube[/ame]

State Farm is running Spanish-language ads on ESPN U.S. during high-profile events deliberately to get the attention of Hispanic viewers regardless of the language of the TV program. The campaign started last September with Spanish-language ads during English-language programming on NBC, E!, and Style.

http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/state-farm-tests-nbc-s-english-networks-reach-hispanics/229733/

7. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Getting a pretty crappy stream quality on ESPN3 at work (usually flawless). Wonder if that's a sign of how popular it is online here in the US right now.

8. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    During half time on ESPN U.S., another Spanish-language ad aired TWICE without subtitles, this time from AT&T Mobility featuring singer Ricardo Arjona, selling the Nokia Lumia 900 4G LTE handheld device just in time for Mother's Day.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAcGW4ll05w"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAcGW4ll05w[/ame]

==

The Sofia Vergara State Farm Insurance ad also aired during half time, again without subtitles.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/38593156"]State of Support - Sofía Vergara. State Farm 2011 on Vimeo[/ame]

9. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Do they have English commercials on ESPN in Mexico?

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Probably.

And probably in a lot of other Spanish speaking countries as well.

Consumers are multi-lingual, and businesses want to reach consumers.

11. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I would bet you can't prove that.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine seems great, although it's much later than when you originally posted. All those red "image quality" bars are lit.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    As I wrote "probably" and was offering a broad suggestion, it's not up to me to offer proof, although I'm certain someone could offer supporting proof that ESPN or any channels broadcasting in primarily Spanish-speaking countries do present some commercials in English.

And the broadcaster will show anything (non-objectable) that an advertiser will pay to get on a broadcaster. The advertiser decides on the content of an ad, and the language spoken in those ads.

It's all about reaching an audience (or a subset of that audience) as consumers.

I'll stand by the general statement as accurate that consumers are multi-lingual, and businesses want to reach consumers.

With the handful of State Farm and AT&T commercials in Spanish in this ESPN US broadcast, I sure hope Chicarito gets in the game, as I do not knw how many Spaniards are tuning into this game to see Silva or how many Argentines are tuning in to see Aguero and Tevez.

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    And a viewer doesn't need to understand the Spanish language to know that was a State Farm insurance commercial.

16. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I have watched football on Univision, Galavision, and Telemundo. Even the new Univision channel. Have yet to see ONE commercial in English. So no one wants to reach a subset of an audience in Mexico?

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    You are watching US channels (for Spanish speakers -- or anyone really -- in the US).

Go to Mexico and report back on what you see on tv. That was your initial question, wasn't it?

Also, bear in mind the demographics of each specific market.

There are a huge number of Spanish-speakers in the US.

18. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I did report as I stated above I have watched Mexican channels in the US (Galavision, Univision, Telemundo) and have seen no commercials in English. Wouldn't there be some advertisers who figure that there is an English subset on those channels watching?

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Those aren't "Mexican channels."

They are USA-based businesses that broadcast (primarily) in Spanish.

I think you are confused or misinformed about what you are watching and/or the demographics of the marketplace from which you are watching.

20. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Univision is a predominately Spanish speaking channel. ESPN is a predominately English speaking channel. You tell me that advertisers have Spanish speaking ads on ESPN because there is a sub set of viewers who speak English. Wouldn't Univision advertisers want to market to a subset of Viewers who speak English?

I say in terms of there being English ads on Mexican tv - I still say prove it. I"ll bet there aren't. You are the one who said probably. The burden of proof is on you.

I wouldn't go to Mexico if you paid my way and expenses.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
  23. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow...I just read some of those comments. People are ridiculous lol

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't even begin to describe it.

The sad thing is that a lot of them are probably just wanna-be tough guys hiding behind a Twitter user name. Challenge them to say it to your face and they'd wuss out.

Sadder is that you could offer them a free ride (ticket + beer money + tailgate + necessary parking fees) with your local supporters group and they still wouldn't accept the offer. Why? They're scared of change. I can respect people who admit to trying something new, but these people? Nope. At one point in time, they tried a basketball/baseball/football/whatever game and they liked that. Soccer is a different story.

1 person likes this.
  25. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Man, Twitter has really helped people climb out of their caves.