Manti Te'o Either Perpetrates a Hoax or is a Victim

Discussion in 'Football' started by Alberto, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You feel that? It's the sensation of your nuts dropping again.

2. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I know that you're trying to bait me, but it's all good. You're accustomed to doing nothing but 'bating anyway.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an Alabama fan, so I know more than just about anyone around here that Alabama is capable of total destruction having watched all 14 games (and attended 11 of the them.) Alabama's AVERAGE margin of victory (even factoring in the loss to Texas A&M) was four touchdowns (27.8 points to be exact.) They had the #1 scoring defense in the country and the #12 scoring offense. So yeah, Alabama is pretty badass. I get it, you get it...but now people (influential "journalists/columnists") are making excuses for Notre Dame's performance. It's relevant even if the more intelligent among us know it's nonsense.

For me, as a fan of the team rightly crowned champions, I take an interest in this because it's being used as a crutch to explain away the way Notre Dame got their asses handed to them. Of course, people have tried to explain away/blame Alabama's other two BCS victories on nonsense too (if Colt McCoy hadn't gotten hurt, LSU wasn't motivated because they beat them in the regular season, etc.), so I don't know why I'm surprised this should be any different.

4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    ITT: Dis wannabe /sp/ janitor, Damage report on Jimmies: Rustled

[​IMG]

5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to ESPN, WFAN, heck any sports outlet or station in the United States. It has replaced Lance Armstrong as the lead in and the major topic of conversation. It does that because the story is lurid and bizarre.

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lot's of talk about how he will be perceived by NFL teams because of this. The issue of character never enters into the equation for a majority of teams. If it turns out he perpetrated the hoax, teams will look at his combine results and the interviews. This will fade with time. Young and sometimes stupid.

7. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    He'll, if the NFl was operating like a normal Fortune 500 company, half of these players would be so fired, kicked to the curb, and never heard from again.

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhhh screw it. I'll play along...

[​IMG]

minerva and Alberto repped this.
  9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL is barely a mid cap.

10. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    #facepalm. Whatever, large cap, mid cap, small cap, woman-owned, minority-owned, midget-owned, they would all still get kicked to the curb. #getaclue.

11. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it depends on the person. NFL operates like any big corporation. different rules for different people - depending on their talent, expertise, and abilities. if you're a nobody, you'll get kicked to the curb in both the NFL or any fortune 500 corporation. but if you have talent, or perceived to have talent, then you'll get a lot of chances, whether in the NFL or corporate America.
    that's why teams will take a chance on Te'o. his lying has nothing to do with making tackles. having a fake girlfriend, whether he fabricated it, or was duped by it - or somewhere in between, has nothing to do with making tackles.

12. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Exactly. If he goes to the NFL and he can't hack it for any reason whatsoever, then the issue will come up, and it will forever be an issue and it will follow him wherever he goes. If he goes to the NFL and plays well, this whole thing will be a complete afterthought.

13. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in case you've missed it...
    [​IMG]

14. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    No doubt they will retain talent with as much tolerance threshold that is feasible, but that leash can be awfully short. Teo bombs the combine or Pro Day, he is gonna drop like a hot potato because GM's can say mental fortitude isn't there and his last game was pretty bad. If he bombs in the first couple of years in the NFL, buh-bye. My point is Teo is not that good and if his talent with all the baggage is transferred to the Fortune 500 comparison, he would be long gone.

15. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  16. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of figured that was the case even before just from the deadspin article.
    but I still find it hard to believe that at some point, Te'o didn't know about it.
    even if he wasn't in on it from the very beginning, at some point he must have known (and indeed, he did know and according to the article I posted above, even after he reportedly knew it was a hoax, he still repeated the lie several days afterward). at that point, you just wonder if he simply thought it was too late to come clean without embarrassing himself and his school, and creating a distraction for his football team before a huge game, etc., so he went along with it. but I still wonder why he played it up so much. couldn't he have just played it down and tell reporters asking him about it that it was a deeply personal matter and that he didn't want to talk about it?

17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    http://espn.go.com/college-football...-irish-denies-being-part-hoax-late-girlfriend

This is the best nugget in the article:

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Or they would be less famous but waaaay more connected, and all the crazy stuff they do would go unnoticed, be buried with $$$ or just unprovable

Matt in the Hat repped this.
  19. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So on 9/12/06, he becomes aware that his girlfriend has died. But on 12/6/12, he gets a call from Lennay Kekua saying that she's alive and trying to explain why she had been pretending to be dead - something with drug deals gone awry. He was very shocked and didn't know what to believe about her. He still wasn't convinced that it was a hoax. At that point, Tuiasosopo also admitted to him that it was a hoax and that he was behind it.
    But he didn't tell about this to Notre Dame, and all the way up through the national championship game, he kept to the story about the girlfriend dying to the media. I guess that can be chalked up to embarrassment and not wanting to create a distraction to his team. Hoping that the story would just go away. He said he tried to set up several meeting with the girl, but every time, she was a no-show. As far as why his father told the story that they had met, apparently Manti realized how crazy his relationship with Lennay was, and his parents were asking him when they're going to meet. So he arranged for a meeting in Hawaii. Of course she was a no-show, but I guess he was embarrassed about it and didn't tell his father that she didn't show. Just brushed it off that they had a good time. So his father remained under the impression that Manti had met Lennay.
    This is much as I suspected. Initially duped. Then embarrassed about the situation, he told a little lie to cover it up. As his fame grew, so did the story, and after he found out that he was duped, he was even more embarrassed and he lied to cover it up. The story spun out of control.

20. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to the Jeremy Schaap on SC this morning, I really think this guy was had - bad.
    He hot taken badly.
    After her supposed death, she calls him back and gives him the craziest story. Drug dealers, different name (tells him her real name is Leah, not Lennay) and a different pic (tells him the pic she sent him before was not her, and the new picture was the real her). The dude's head was spinning.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think he's better off saying it was NOT a hoax. IMO its more pathetic to call someone your girlfriend who you haven't even met, and then being totally gutted when she dies.

22. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just as I figured - it's the worst possible outcome for the kid. he was duped, AND he lied.
    if he had done one or the other, it wouldn't be so bad. but he did both!
    and to make matters worse, I guess the voice on the phone was that of Tuiasosopo - a guy!! he thought he was talking to his girlfriend, and in fact he was talking to a dude!

24. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Te'o told Katie Curic he is "far from being gay."
    how is one "far" from being gay? you either are or you aren't dude.
    there are no degrees of gayness (yes, there are different ways in which it is expressed, which people sometimes mistake for level of gayness).
    you're either gay or you're not.
    methinks the young man doth protest too much.
    maybe he was fully aware that it was a dude's voice on the other end of the line, and he liked it.