Mansour buys Melbourne Heart

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Yoshou, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure why they would get rid of the current coaches. Since the new technical staff took over, the Heart have gone 6W-3D-2L (21 points in 11 games) and moved from dead last in the league with 4 points in 12 games and no hope of making it into the finals (6 out of 10 teams get in), to just 6 points out of the finals. While the chances of making the finals are still slim, the Heart have been one of the best teams in the A-League since van 't Schip took over the team.

3. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Given that James Hogan, the President and CEO of Etihad Airways who are the main sponsor of MCFC is a Melbourne raised lad one wonders if he have sort of hinted that Melbourne is the place to have a club.. :whistling:

4. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Well I guess we can expect MelCFC to feature a Sky Blue, Red and White color combo? Melbourne's flag is red and white.....

That will be a challenge for whoever is making the logo/jerseys I think.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense. It allows them to get a player during the Summer transfer window and allow this person to get playing time during a period when NYCFC will not have a team to field.

7. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked Claudio about this at the meet and greet. (Sidebar: OMG! I talked to Captain America!!!). He said that the executives are having regular conversations between each other. This includes himself and he specifically mentioned that he has spoken to the coach at Melbourne. He did not commit either way to loaning a player to Melbourne but he said it is something that has been considered and might be done if the situation is appropriate.

So the answer is maybe.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I just thought that I should mention that CFG got themselves a minor slice of Yokohama Marinos in the J-league as well.
    To be honest I get the feeling that CFG is more or less being retained to give Yokohama a push forward by Nissan who owns Yokohama and it´s all part of a sponsorship deal as well.
    In the City of Yokohama itself Nissan Motors rule but I got a feeling that they know a lot more about cars than football so it might have been convenient for them to strike this deal.

10. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Despite an attempt to change our colours to sky blue, Sydney FC and the FFA have blocked the change.

CFG were not too pleased with the decision as expected. They haven't conceded just yet it seems but I don't see the FFA changing their minds before the season starts. Perhaps in the future they might but I can tell you 99.9% of heart fans are ecstatic with the news.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...ed-after-sydney-fc-object-20140529-zrs76.html

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty short-sighted all around.

Even if they are ecstatic, they won't be if ManCity pulls out because they can't have their way.

Besides, let's be honest, no way the FA or Sydney are going to win this one in the long run.

12. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    That is a concern many fans have, but it could set a bad message for any other league they want to buy into that if they don't get 100% their way, they will just leave. They still will have a sky blue away kit, name and badge changes. And they have a lot more to gain than just

Also, you don't understand how the FFA works. Here, Sydney get their way, as demonstrated here.

I don't doubt they will continue pushing for the next few years, but it only gets harder from here. If success does come in the form of red and white in the next season, they will gain more fans against any decision to change.

13. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Can´t see much difference if Melbourne got blue away and red&white home instead of the other way around.
    It´s not like Coca-Cola are suffering because Fanta use blue&orange instead of red&white in marketing.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All 5 of them, right? Heh. I kid, I kid.. But seriously, I'm not sure this is a fight that MelCFC fans want to win in the long run. Having CFG owning the team will do much more for the future success of the team then having red/white as the primary colors. CFG has decided that sky blue is an important part of their branding and there are now going to be questions if they'll keep the MelCFC investment now that they can't be sky blue.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure this example is particularly accurate? This isn't a Fanta/Coke situation, it is more akin to Coca-Cola deciding to brand their namesake soda in Australia as Blue/Orange.

16. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oh, Coca Cola use a lot of colors really..

[​IMG]

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nudge, nudge. Notice the word underneath Coca-Cola on the green ones. :)

18. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Exactly..It´s Coca Cola but a different beverage, like say NYCFC is a different "City" than Manchester City.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I wonder when will David Villa show up in Melbourne?

20. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    World Cup.. vacation, some time off to sort out the move and look at homes. Some promo stuff. light training

I say October when the league starts IF he arrives there :cool:

21. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    NYC have said they're gonna loan him out, can't think of a better place :thumbsup: Especially in the a-league where we have a '10 game guest player' rule

Round 10 will finish around Christmas, when does MLS preseason generally start?

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Melbourne Heart has officially changed their name to Melbourne City FC.

Logo looks familiar

[​IMG]

24. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Villa has been loaned to Melbourne City FC until New York City FC opens training camp for the 2015 season.

IMG_542810280126902.jpeg

25. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm also seeing the family resemblance!