Mansour buys Melbourne Heart

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Yoshou, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is exactly what the news report says...

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the players were feeling pretty dismal prior to the sale. We're talking about a team that up until a few weeks ago hadn't won a single game. Not to mention the entire club was a train wreck. They'd never been any good and I doubt they had any hope for the future. Mansour and Co coming in probably injected quite a bit of hope., not to mention a good amount of fear for their jobs.

3. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    No doubt there´s a feelgood factor among players right now though, and surely Melbourne will find it much easier to attract players now as their future looks rosy.

The fans are sort of torn apart by fear of losing their colors and willingness to spend CFG money though, but everyone knows that there will be a kind of panel where fangroup representatives will be invited before decisions are made this very summer so I´m rather optimistic on that front.
    As for club badge it seems like few likes it, the name "Heart" got a sort of support but not overwhelmingly so.
    No the battle will be over colors if at all.
    Personally I think a kind of trade off is possible where a new badge incorporates the old "heart" and the colors stay the same but the name change.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything I have read is that the fans of the 4 year old team are delighted with the take over and welcome it. I don't think they care too much about the colors. Now the other Melbourne team might not.

5. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Your definitely misinformemed if you think us fans won't care about about colours. Many of us have said its non negotiable, most are only ok with the name change cause we actually wanted to change our name to Melbourne City before the takeover anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=691572650883042

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vocal minority, at best. And as City Group continues to pump resources into your squad I believe you will see that group slowly erode. Do you want it to be the way it was, just for the colors, 4 year old colors? Besides, we don't even know if they will change the colors at this point.

I would be surprised, if the team continues to improve, that they would even change the head coach next season.

7. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Hardly a minority. Here's a poll from our forum that has 96% of fans wanting the keep the red&white at the very least as our home kit. http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/252...ive-of-the-franchise-name/page-10#entry157235

These votes are from fans all around the stadium, not just active. And I'd venture that the ones in the 4% are the Man City fans that have joined our forum since the news.

Personally I'd rather us stay the way it was than turn into a mini man city playing in sky blue (Sky Blue also happens to be the New South Wales colours, our states rivals. It just wouldn't feel like a team for Melbourne if they changed our colours)

And you're right that they hasn't said anything about it yet, which only makes me more worried, hence the fans making a banner at the first home game since the news broke.

8. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Also is NYC FC confirmed to be sky blue yet or is it just speculation?

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. ;)

10. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can only hope he kits are a combo of Sky Blue with Navy pinstripes! :thumbsup:

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is probably a pretty good indicator that all of the merchandise and branding for NYCFC is sky blue and dark blue. I would fully expect those colors to be highly representative of their future colors. What combination those colors will be used (sky blue as primary, dark blue as secondary, some combination, etc), who knows.

12. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thing is.. In Australia both major teams play in Navy/sky blue. Crowded market we might say?

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to the plethora of MLS teams using blue?

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the 4 A-League clubs that have blue. :) Granted, they also have different designs/colors that go with those colors, but the Victory are navy/white, the Mariners are blue/yellow, the Jets are blue/red, and Sydney FC is sky blue. Mix in another color to break up the sky blue and they'd be fine.

[​IMG]

That being said, red and white are the colors of Melbourne, so it would make more sense for a team called Melbourne City to keep the red and white colors to make the connection to the city more than just having City in the name.

15. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    There are two other teams in Melbourne, both use blue/white combos.. marketing nightmare adding a third?

16. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so no discussions around how nycfc and melcfc are just not so clandestine and elabourate accounting ways to funnel cash into mama city so they can help circumvent ffp?

still think you are "on equal footing" with the parent club?

i am shocked to find that nobody around these here parts is discussing this ... i guess doing so would be trolling just like discussing the very valid human rights concerns and dictatorial regime of your owners ... reality is such a pesky annoying thing

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure thats about every other post and in every other thread.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You are aware of UAE ranking above nations like USA, Germany and France on the Human Rights scale?
    Of course it´s not up there with the Scandinavian countries or Australia/NZ but anyway.

http://ihrri.com/contry.php

20. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    haha. you seriously pick one random "index" that has almost zero reputation (with a "who we are page" raises serious questions about it's neutrality towards arab nations).

get real, the vast majority of such surveys clearly indicated that the UAE is no haven of freedom or equality and is in fact a totalitarian regime.

human rights watch and amnesty international are far more reputable organizations and i suggest you read their assessments before you get to excited about lovely progressive uae.

21. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Why would the Norwegian government create a "fake" institution?
    Myself I lived and worked in UAE for ten years, at a guess I could tell you more about UAE than you want to know.. But perhaps we ought to get this thread back on track instead.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UAE is routinely considered the most liberal county in the middle east, and is generally regarded as having the best human rights record on the middle east.

Sure, they can definitely do better and aren't on par with Scandinavian countries and most "Western" industrial first world countries, but they are a lot better than many believe.
    Still, I don't see how this is remotely relevant to Melbourne Heart or NYC FC.

23. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    #73 MattND28, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    Wait, are we talking the same UAE where even the Prime Minister is a hereditary position? That has an absolute Monarch?

Are we talking the same UAE that outlaws alcohol because it has Sharia laws? Same laws where a women's testimony is worth half of a man's in a criminal matter?

The same UAE that just imprisoned an American for a year for making a short movie parodying UAE men? That outlaws homosexuality? That even outlaws eating, drinking and smoking in public during the month of Ramadan?

Yeah, a real bastion of freedom over there... Its seriously LAUGHABLE and OUTRAGEOUS to try and compare that turd to America, Germany or France...

24. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #74 BlueIntent, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    Outlaws alcohol you say? .. :ROFLMAO:

Back to the thread now please!

25. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    There are different states within the Emirates. It is illegal to drink in certain parts of the country.

Btw, I forgot to mention the way they steal passports of their southeast Asian workers (slaves) working in construction.....

And no, no....I want you to defend your index...

They must have some INCREDIBLE freedoms to make up for those heinous restrictions... so I'll wait....