Mansour buys Melbourne Heart

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Yoshou, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could be on the verge of seeing what the "City brand" means as it was just announced that Mansour has purchased the Melbourne Heart. They've already trademarked Melbourne City FC, so that part is in line with the City brand, but the question is, will they redo the crest and colors of the club.

Melbourne Heart crest:

[​IMG]
    Melbourne Heart kits:

[​IMG]

MCFC trademark filing:

Story on the purchase:
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...ague-club-melbourne-heart-20140123-319zz.html

SoccerPrime repped this.
  2. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is it sure the change of the name ? I hope that they will respect the colours and that will not be a new Cardiff FC case.........

3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say the name change is virtually guaranteed. If you look at the image on the tweet I link you'll see that the trademark holder is MHFC Holdings, which is the company that just purchased the Heart.

I wouldn't worry about a Cardiff City issue though. Not because they won't be rebranded, but because I'm not sure many would care. This is only the Heart's 4th season and they have been a steaming pile of crap both on-field and off-field up until this point.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how completely a mess this team is, I think ManCity is a godsend here.

$11 million? Doesn't Mansour pay more for lunch?

Also, interesting that like the Yankees in NYC, the local rugby team will own 20%.

5. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    As a heart fan, I promise many will care, we may have low attendance but we do have 7k members despite being shit. Not so much being renamed to city because "The Hearts" will continue to be a nickname as long as the Yarraside (our active supporters) exists, and Melbourne City sounds pretty good.

I think they could face protest from supporters if they change too much like our kits though. However, it doesn't seem like they will since they said this is not going to be a mini man city.

Personally, I'm ********ing ecstatic with this purchase (so far at least) since our last owners had no ambition to succeed which showed in our on field performances, which stunted growth off field.

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, yes. Sorry. My comment was an inelegant attempt to say:

7. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great news for the league, not for South Melbourne.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen Hearts play? This is great news.

A-League is saying it's the biggest/greatest news in their history.

9. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Given that Sydney FC play in sky blue and Melbourne Victory in navy blue I got a feeling that the colours might not necessary change that much for Heart.. Not if the with two of the most iconic clubs already using blue I mean.

No, the logical route might be to perhaps focus on the neutral colour which is white? Perhaps with some add ons

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he means literally South Melbourne, as in South Melbourne FC, who have been attempting to buy an A-League club and relocate it to the suburb of South Melbourne. MCFC buying the Heart probably sticks a fork in that.

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-said-no-to-manchester-city-millions-20140123-31bsk.html

Well in case you all missed it....Man City clearly stated to Sydney what their plans are:

''It was flattering for us that Manchester City made an approach to us early last year to explore the possibility of buying into Sydney FC,'' Barlow said. "They outlined their plans to create a network of clubs in the world's most iconic cities.

So is there still anyone here that truly believes that NYCFC is not a Manchester City branding project? Come on people.

SpiritualUnity repped this.
  12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are about a year late for this righteous indignation... Heck, they may have even said in the NYCFC announcement they were expanding the "City" brand. What isn't clear up to this point is what exactly the City brand is.

13. SpiritualUnity

Mar 21, 2012

Jeez

That does seem to be where this is heading. Chances are increasing that we're going to see Manchester, New York, and Melbourne wearing identical kits with identical badges.

Still taking a wait-and-see attitude, but preparing for the worst

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even more than the brand, all the references in Kreis's press confrence to playing the "City way" made me cringe. Don't you want them to play the Kreis or maybe the MLS way?

15. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That´s like saying that opening a Hilton Hotel in Japan was a branding project for Hilton Hotels Inc.

MCFC Ltd don´t own NYCFC or Melbourne Heart, they are all just local branches of City Football Group

16. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    You're right, it is a branding project and a DAMN fascinating one at that.

But NYCFC and MelCFC are not farm teams. They're smaller right now for sure but I TRULY believe the idea is not for them to be farm teams. The idea is for them to all be equals. NYCFC has already proven itself to want to be a legitimate winner and a true global powerhouse.

They've
    -Got the Yankees involved
    -Volunteered to invest over a HALF BILLION of their own money to buy a team and build a stadium
    -They're fighting with the NIMBYs of NY to try and build the stadium IN THE CITY (something even the NFL couldn't get done!)
    -They went out and lured in what many consider to be the best coach in the league

You don't do ALL OF THAT for it just to be a farm team. I for one think its cool that as a NYCFC supporter I have sort of a built-in rooting interests in England and Australia as they will probably pull for NYCFC as well. Its very 21st century.

I suspect the colors will be the same but possibly with different styles between the clubs (i.e. NYCFC might wear pinstripes, while the others won't) and perhaps the NYCFC crest will bear a STRONG resemblance to the MCFC one but who cares? Its being honest, its part of the history of the club.

whill4 repped this.
  17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the history of the club that is called ManCity. None of that has anything to do with NYCFC.

18. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Besides for the fact THAT THEY STARTED THE CLUB!

That's like saying your mother has nothing to do with your history either....

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mother? Really? Please don't go there. It's just going to give even fuel to the haters. *sigh*

20. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I'm with you on this SoccerPrime. NYC is my City and it looks like NYCFC is here to stay. Let's start a supports club for people that don't support ManCity. One that drives home the point that we want our own identity. I won't be in the bleacher seats at Yankee stadium singing ManCity chants, rocking a ManCity scarf and pleading for blue moon songs and blue sky's crap. I welcome City Football Groups money and talent, but I sure as hell won't be towing the company line. The fan boys on Twitter make me puke with all their NYisBlue crap. Yeah it is, I've been hearing it from Giants fans my whole life. Cut it with that bullshit and stop stealing mantras. I think people need to remember, supporters of NYCFC especially, this ain't City, this is THE City.

21. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    1) Stop being so insecure about the Manchester connection. I'm sure NYCFC will likely share colors with them but I'm also equally as sure we'll have our own crest and identity.

2) Why, besides your strange insecurity, be hostile to the sister clubs? Seems ridiculous. I won't be singing blue moon but if others do? Oh well, its not a Manchester song. I'm sure New York, NY will be sang just as much....

If you can't get comfortable with the way the club is, why not go be a Cosmo or Red Bull?

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you watched any press conference so far?

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again... You are in the NYCFC forum and continued trolling along these lines may result in infractions and/or forum bans. There are other forums in which you may discuss whether or not NYCFC is a farm team and in which pejoratives like Manchester City USA may be used. The NYCFC forum is not one of those locations.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the other arguments are valid Onion, just tone down the name calling. We actually want NYC fans to post here (eventually).

Yoshou repped this.
  25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, SP says it much better than I did. :)