Man City Owners Pondering Bid for NY II; Red Bull Having Second Thoughts?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by triplet1, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Yes it does.
    This. But it is, like everything else, negotiable. I was merely speculating on the possibility of his trying to negotiate away what looks like the ability to buy a very cheap franchise ($10 million is the most-reported figure) for the ability to buy into either NY or LA for a lesser discount.

I have no idea if he's actually doing this, and no real reason to think that he is, but it would not be outside the realm of possibility. After all, Beckham could simply partner with someone who wants into MLS (anywhere but in NY or LA) and would like to pay just $10 million to do it, and convert his "coupon" into a 50% equity stake worth $40-50 million. MLS would be taking a bath on a Beckham franchise at only $10 million and would certainly listen to a proposal that would make that go away.

But again, this is all 100% speculation on my part.

tab5g repped this.
  2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his recent state of the union address Garber flat out said he couldn't exercise the option in NY ... He doesn't say anything about at a discount, he only mentions the ownership option:

"Anything’s a possibility other than his right to exercise that option in New York,"

3. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    That's what an option is though -- it gives the holder (Beckham) the right to buy something at a prenegotiated price.

4. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  5. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I did on the internet version that only shows 1,600+ signatures, I'm assuming the rest were collected by hand if the number is accurate.

I also sent an e-mail to the Protect the Park people several weeks ago and called Queens Borough President Helen Marshall's office and spoke to an aide but that's the extent of my involvement.

Christine Quinn and the City Council are the kingmakers here. MLS apparently and very expertly hired a friend of hers as their chief lobbyist. I've thought about reaching out to her office to get a sense of her thinking but haven't done so...yet.

I chiefly oppose this as a Red Bulls fan but building in the middle of a major city park is also anathema to me.

7. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    deleted double post

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    What specifically are you opposed to about MLS's plans to build a stadium in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park?

9. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If the Cosmos are still owned by Sela, and the supposed NYCFC crew is AD... well, I can't see them getting along too well to join up and work for a common cause. The Zayeds are not known for putting aside their ego (nor are the Saudi royals). It's possible they're both in this to directly challenge each other.

10. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Now this one has to be sarcasm...

If not there are years of posts on this subject...

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Assume it is an honest question. How many "years" has MLS had a specific plan to build in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park?

What specifically about the petition made you want to sign it?

Are you pro-parkland in Queens?

Or are you anti-nearby-MLS-competitor-for-NYRB?

Or some combination, and/or some other factors?

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It should be to anyone.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    It should be.

But that's not how business and development works in America.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How politics really works.

15. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    If I were an obscenely rich sheik interested in promoting my emirate, at this point, I would buy the franchise, arrange to build the stadium on one of those 10+ acre sites near the river that have been suggested for the parkland mitigation, and pay to remove the fountain in the park and revitalize it as prime greenspace. I'd spruce up 4 or 5 of those crappy soccer fields, too.

If they want to foment goodwill, this would do it.

16. JOEKIR

JOEKIR Member

Napoli & Orlando City
    United States
    Oct 28, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just a thought to throw out there. I was reading some earlier posts in this thread about PSG ownership interested in MLS as well as Red Bull not being happy with MLS and Garber. If these are true, how about this food for thought. PSG ownership buyout Red Bull stake and buy the Cosmos brand, then rebrand RBNY to Cosmos. Man City buys into the "1st team" in NYC out in Queens. Now NY/NJ Soccer fans get the best of both worlds. Cosmos vs NY City FC. Who would the Borough Boys route for then?

I also think within the next 5-10 years you will see the salary cap almost gone. Then foreign investors will flood to MLS. Just about every team has their own stadium and name recognition. All it will take to make MLS one of the best leagues in the world and the #1 or #2 sport in the US is a very Liberal to non existant salary cap and foreign investors along with US investors/owners that are willing to spend (sorry Kraft and Kronkey, but you guys will end up out of business or selling) and the American sports fan will find it impossible to ignore. Americans are ready for 1st class soccer in this country. Give them stars like Ronaldo, Messi, Xavi, Chicarito, etc. playing every weekend on US soil and all 20-24 + teams will be sold out every week. Not only will there be 2 teams in NY area, but possibly 3 (Brooklyn) 2 possible in Boston, 2 or 3 in Florida, Detroit, San Diego, St Louis, San Antonio, Arizona....the possibilities are endless.

17. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm sure that post will go down well JOEKIR, there is nothing like a post that ignores reality and wanders off into flights of fancy to get the caustic sarcasm rolling here at BS.

I think this thread is just about chasing its tail now. Hopefully new posts will divulge some new information - but not this one.:sneaky:

18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Dangit - was just unfurling the caustic sarcasm banner too!

fuzzx, SYoshonis, jayd8888 and 2 others repped this.
  19. JOEKIR

JOEKIR Member

Napoli & Orlando City
    United States
    Oct 28, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was merely stating an opinion/theory based on some of the posts in this thread. Do I think any of this will come to reality? Probably not, but a true fan can dream can't he. I do think sometime in the future, some of my observations will come to pass. Hopefully sooner than later.

Keep the dream alive, keep supporting your local club, whether it is MLS, NASL, USL or some one off amature club.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I wish I'd been here to end the thread with this fine epilogue. We can take all this up again when there's some more news.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That discount is basically a $25 million credit towards a MLS club, excluding NYC. So Beckham can spend his money anywhere like anyone else. MLS will gladly take it. But in the most expensive market, he loses $25 million right off the back. Probably not the smartest move, but hey, its his money.