Majestic Oranje - Euro here we come - Official Euro Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Mr.S, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    He has looked very dangerous for Bayern on the right, but that is just because they have Ribery on the left, so they don't really mind the interchange.

I have always liked him on the left, but then the question becomes.. who do you put on the right? Affelay? Sneijder won't play there, and Van der Vaart wouldn't be very effective. You probably would play Kuyt of all players, and I doubt Oranje wants him in the starting 11.

2. epugnac

epugnac Member

May 29, 2012
    Who is Jetro Willems? Are Holland so desperate for defenders that they're picking random kids from the streets? Why not play Boulahrouz at LB?

3. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben should start on the left with Afellay on the right, then swap sides throughout the game. Robben is far more effective on the left because he can run down the flank to get space and cross it in, or make a diagonal run to the corner of the box and shoot. On the right side he has to face infield to do anything which makes him far less effective especially vs teams that put lots of players behind the ball.
    I think the probable lineup for saturday is:
    Stekelenburg​
    Van der Wiel - Heitinga - Vlaar - Willems​
    van Bommel - de Jong​
    Afellay - Sneijder - Robben​
    van Persie​

4. jorian

jorian New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hello! I am new to this site, and just read through a few whole threads (including this one) and am amazed at the high caliber of this soccer discussion! I was born in Holland and am a huge Oranje fan.

Currently I am the Dutch representative for a soccer social startup called KYCK. It's kind of like a twitter for soccer, where you can share pictures and small tidbits of information. With EUROs coming up, I would love to an extend an invitation to anyone on here who would like to join. http://ar.gy/TeamOranje is the link for this - press "request an invite" and we will accept you as soon as possible! Thank you for your consideration!

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Because Willems is a left back and Boulahrouz is not. Considering Matthijsen's injury it's likely that Boulahrouz will start in central defence mind.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Left back position is up for discussion still, and Matthijssen is injured. There's no way Van der Vaart will start. My guess vs Denmark is

---------------------Stekelenburg-------------
    Van der Wiel-------Heitinga-----Boulah-----Willems
    -------------Bommel--------De Jong-------
    Robben-------------Sneijder----------Afellay
    ------------------------Van Persie----------

7. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    St. Maarten

VDW - Heitinga - Vlaar - Bouma

MVB - NDJ

Robben - Sneijder - Afellay

RVP​

8. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben - Van Persie - Afellay​
    Van der Vaart - Sneijder​
    Bommel​
    Willems - De Jong - Heitinga - Van der Wiel​
    Stekelenburg​

9. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Robben is much more effective on the left for Oranje. But it does mean a mediocre fit on the right wing. Apart from Robben, who can play both, when was the last time we had a good RW?

Have decided not to stress about the Euros as have fairly low expectations given our defense. Just don't want to lose to Germany . . . don't like Portugal much either since the Fido days . . .

10. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like that vs Denmark, but we'll need more defensive cover vs Germany.

11. No I do not think so. I think ze Jermans are going to play the counter attack card against us.

12. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Affelay is right-footed so to play him on the right, robben on the left means we have 2 wingers capable of making vPersie/Huntelaar a happy striker. But playing them on the wrong sides means they will always continue to come inside and try to get a shot. And its not as if our backs are continuesly coming up the flanks to provide service either.
    I do kind of expect Robben and Affelay to switch sides often tbh, might be the only trick up our sleeves tactic wise.

13. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    which strikes me as a reason to put another d-mid, or at least a mid who is more defensively responsible than Raffie

14. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree. But if they do start on their "wrong" sides, then as you say, hopefully the switch off alot

15. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sneijder

DRB300 repped this.
  16. jasperb

jasperb Member

Dec 30, 2006
    netherlands
  17. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    but Sneijder is already in there. Do you think he'll want to cover for VDV? I'm not confident in that

18. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    awesome

19. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Remember this? They need to make another one, worked like a charm the last time.

20. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    If we and zeJermans win in our first games--then it will be a 'lets not lose today" type game for both teams --so unless whoever plays left back really stinks up the place it doesn't matter too much

the game that matters is the first one--we need at least a 2 goal diff

Denmark has got to keep it close and tight and hope to steal a tie or win but we need to go full force for a couple of goals by half time

21. About that video, that's the spirit!! Whatever game and against who ever..no one get's passed us:p:D

22. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sneijder VDV would flop horribly,its been discusses to death. A Midfield with only a slow ageing Van Bommel will get destroyed easily resulting in 0-3 & 1-4 kind of losses. Thank god JC14 is not coach

Practically there is 0% chance of Boula playing CB like there is a 0% chance of Bouma playing LB despite Miss Neeskens continously predicting that formation.

When the whole LB situation was up in air & it could possibly screw the whole competition, De Jong requested Bert that he be tried at LB as he could atleast defend all attacks. Bert flat out refused it & insisted on him being a DM.

So Dejong-Van Bommel is a lock at the CM/DM slot.

I dont think Robben wants to play LW because Willems is defensively unstable & because of that willems will probably hold back in attack a bit. Robben already has some sort of understanding with VDW otherwise IMO Bert prefers Robben at LW & honestly Robben is more unpredictable in the LW,since he has 0 right foot he would always try to cut in from the left flank

23. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Is it true by the way that Willems & other non-white players were racially abused???? There's this news which has spread about

24. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    source?

25. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben Huntelaar van Persie
    Sneijder/VDV*​
    Afellay van Bommel​
    Willems de Jong Heitinga v/d Wiel

* Only one of them of course
    Wingers switching all the time... Sneijder & Afellay moving about

Maybe van Bommel left and Afellay on the right... to bolster left....