Majestic Oranje - Euro here we come - Official Euro Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Mr.S, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They have. And multiple times. Van Der Vaart has played from anwhere from LW to CM & has sucked defensively in all positions.

As a matter of fact despite playing so many matches at CM,he is a dud defensivelu,0 defensive tactical intelligence,0 positioning sense,0 defensive work-rate & 0 physicallity & I am not even going to speed & tackling ability. He is perhaps the worst CM for Oranje now. He is a CAM or a 2nd ST. You cant force him to be a CM where he does not work.

And if Oranje had Pique & puyol at CB & abidal at his peak at LB & a guy like Xavi is mid-field I am pretty sure Oranje can play attacking football too.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He's a total arse.

What cracked me up today is Berti Vogts in Bild saying that the Dutch are too slow and that he can't see Germany having any trouble beating us. Let's hope the Dutch team reads Bild teehee

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    On the subject of Van Basten, I could not believe him and Gullit in their post-match commentary actually taking credit for Holland's improving form. "We tried to be critical to keep them on their tows and we've succeeded in doing just that." for heaven's sake. We all thought the 1970s generation of former footballer turned pundit was pompous but this 1988 lot is even worse.

4. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Im not talking about your 4231 formation but our traditional 433 formation where he wouldnt have to defend 30 square meters. And you have never seen him play on left half. You probably dont even know what left half means.

Puyol and abidal have hardly played the last 2 seasons. Pique is not a great defender and Alves isnt either. It cowardice and soeculation that oranje cant play our traditional style.

TFC Ajax repped this.
  5. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was Gullit who said that. Not Van Basten

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I noted Gullit in that post. Besides Van Basten wasn't exactly disagreeing with him was he.

A bit of humility would suit them both considering their awful track record in coaching.

7. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They're all pretending as if that their form of punditry (which is give short-sighted commentary of 3 friendly games) was actually anything of worth. Now even Edgar Davids came out and said that van Bommel shouldn't be on the team.

It should be their patriotic duty to keep their mouth tight shut.

8. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pique is a reasonably good defender who when compared to a Mathijsen should a demi-god & he he has excellent qualities as in skills wise for a CB. And Alves is such a rampage down the right flank that he hardly needs to defend. That & Barca's tiki taka. Neither Mathijsen nor Heitnga are good passers.

What is a Left Half btw? I was talking about a LW. I have seen VDV play as a Mid-fielder,CM kinda role multiple times. And 4-2-3-1 & 4-3-3 are basically a lot similar. They are just modified formations. I dont see what the b*tching is about. In 4-3-3 the No.10 is playing a bit advanced. Besides 4-3-3 has had Multiple versions with 2 Holding Mid-fielders trying out too.

In the current situation a 4-3-3- would mean play De Jong as the only DM & VDV-Sneijer ahead. I dont see how this is different to a VDV-De Jong combo with Sneijder ahead. Do you expect Sneijder to cover up for VDV???

At this point of time anybody would play a better CM that VDV. Forget Strootman,even Wijnaldum will. VDV is a 45 minutes player who has 0 defensive ability & is just there for the nostalgia of certain Ajax fans. He still has exception technical skills as his shots sometimes show but that is expected of probably the most gifted CAM in the last years.

But like RVP from Winger to ST,VDV has made his transformation too. He is a 2nd ST/CAM.

9. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's hilarious when considering that when they were playing themselves, they always got very pissed off about the criticism of the 1970s generation. I guess footballers are just like ordinary people. Everything was always better in the old days.

11. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Am I the only one who likes van Bommel for his absolutely unique talent to commit the most fouls per game with the lowest punishments? He doesnt even care for the ball, he just takes down the player and then tells a great joke to the referee about the rabbi, priest and paris hilton who walk into a bar, and whoosh he comes off without punishment again.

(little bit of satire, but also quite serious on his contribution to the squad which is not small in my opinion. Us being result-orientated and all since BvM)

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    No you're not alone. How many times have we seen the Dutch being screwed over by the opponent's clever cheats. Now we've got a clever cheat ourselves in Van Bommel and I'm happy about it. If only Robben and N. de Jong were that clever.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Only problem is that since he has lost a lot of speed and quickness van Bommel has to resort to this stuff more and more making it all the more likely that the official will card him early in the match. We'll see how things turn out in the Euros, but this is my one worry.

14. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Its not like he was very quick a couple of years ago & I doubt he will get an early card. He is smart player & he will pace his fouls well. Other than that the ref would be a bit reluctant to show the cards in the Euros for petty fouls. Good for Mark is he does not commit violent tackles like De Jong.

So expect to see 3-4 continous pretty fouls & him trolling & humouring the ref in the 1st half.

15. echo201

echo201 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Yeah, i see.:);)

16. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Watch the squad LIVE during their training session right now.

Stadium is sold out, about 25.000 tickets were sold.

CanadaHolland and Dutch Treat repped this.
  17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    CanadaHolland repped this.
  18. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Mathijsen to miss the Denmark match and Bert may have to call up a replacement altogether. A friendly against Malaga to be announced in due time (I kid).

Viergever, Maduro, Bruma or de Vrij? Zeg het maar.

19. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Viergever

20. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    i would think it would make sense, if he hasn't liked what he saw with willems and schaars, and i saw the practice, they put bouma at left back and he was really bad, if they need a replacement, Vlaar so far has played good enough to be that replacement, with bouma behind him if vlaar gets hurt or van bommel go in that position

in the practice that was live, van bommel, and nigel de jong both played center back.

i would think it's a perfect chance from the gods that hey, schaars and willems aren't good enough, time to get viergever or de vrij or even emanuelson if need be,

where is erik pieters when we need him, can't the same guy who helped robben help erik pieters

21. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Andre Ooijer....

:D

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  22. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I think deleting all the posts, whether people liked them or not is really the best course of action. Let's try and stay on the football track and let me naively believe this a football forum.

23. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    So what would you guys say is the probable starting 11? I honestly don't know... last time I thought about it:

-------------------------Stekelenburg-------------------------
    Van der Wiel-----Heitinga------Mathijsen---------Willems
    ---------------de Jong-----------Van Bommel--------------
    Robben----------------Van der Vaart--------------Sneijder
    --------------------------Van Persie-------------------------

Or will it be a more traditional 4-3-3 with one of Van Persie/Affelay on the left wing, Robben on the right, and one of Van Persie/Huntelaar up front with Sneijder going inside and Van der Vaart going to the bench?

Is Bouma likely to start over Willems as well?

24. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No actually what should have been done is the ignorant troll poster CANADA - AZ should have had his post deleted and been banned. I have been a moderator for a pro sports teams fan forum for over 8 years. Learn how to moderate and deal with trolls or even better resign.

I have no further interest in posting here as long as this forum is moderated by DSC05.

Good luck to the Netherlands.

25. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    lol at the drama here, but i agree, back to football.

-I honestly would like to see Robben on left rather than the right. I feel like he turns into a more complete player. WRT the recent games, when Robben is on the right, he is VERY predictable. Whereas, on the left, players have no experience with Robben on the left (they know how to defend him on the right)

-What do you guys think? left or right?