Majestic Oranje - Euro here we come - Official Euro Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Mr.S, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    As the other thread is locked hence I am making this thread.

Huntelaar voices frustration -

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has voiced his frustration with his substitute role as Netherlands coachBert van Marwijk seems to prefer RVP for the position of striker.

2. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The award for youngest player at Euro 2012 goes to Willems, who one year ago won the U17 European Championship with Netherlands. The left-back was somewhat of a surprise call-up, but having made 20 Eredivisie appearances for PSV last season, he earned Bert van Marwijk's confidence. And given an injury to Erik Pieters, Willems could find himself in the starting line-up against Denmark on June 9.

Goal.com

3. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
  4. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wesley Sneijder feels that Spain are Netherlands' biggest rivals for glory at Euro 2012, and expects that the reigning champions and Oranje will both reach the final at this summer's tournament.

5. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    i heard this was made up, that huntelaar never said anything of the sort, that huntelaar is the type of guy who never gets involved in any drama no matter how badly he gets treated, and he does get treated badly, at real madrid and ac milan they didn't play him much but when he got to play goals galore.

6. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
  7. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The source is Lol.COM which has 0 credibilty but atleast there were quotes. I am not sure if this is true. But I am pretty certain that Huntelaar,if he has not made this statement,then he will make it very soon.

He has had a Perfect Season,one that can be barely bettered. If he is still not selected,then in his mind,there will always be questions that why he has to do more.

I think before the Uruguay friendly he said the same, that he expects a bit more trust after scoring so many goals in the qualifiers. He was dropped for the Brazil game before that.

I see no harm in that. In 4 years he will be 32 odd atleast. Him & RVP are the same generation. He is not 5-6 yours younger. If he waits anymore his International Career will be a very average one

8. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The Netherlands squad, in partnership with the Johan Cruyff Foundation, have announced the installation of an ‘Orange Cruyff Court’ in Krakow.

9. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think you should at least mention your source when you place entire articles from Goal.com and the likes here.

10. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    To be fair to Mr. S, that's Goal.com's entire content.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's better to just post a sentence and the link to the original article if it's on the Internet somewhere else. The Mods had mentioned this once before since it can run into copyright infringement if you post without attribution. By inserting just the link, you avoid that problem.

12. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    still not over slovakia yet was such a dud game, on the plus side no one is looking that hot going into the euros

13. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I have to agree here. Just because I took down the sticky, doesn't mean the rule doesn't apply.

14. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    yes BVM playing favorites is really ruining holland, i feel if we don't get our act together at the next world cup, we will end up like italy or france, with fights and lackluster play, van bommel, mathijsen, surely have to realize this is their last tournament, with bouma, and others also realizing that it's over. the new generation needs to shine, i mean how will we know if gouweleeuw, classie, fer, wijnaldum, van wolfswinkel and others are the real deal or not

15. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You got it all backwards. It's not the NT's job to let the new generation shine. It the other way around. The youngsters need to prove themselves at their clubs. Become noteworthy, be consistent, .. And perhaps then you might get a call from Bert. It's not his job to make sure that the kids have a good career.. Clasie, Maher, de Vrij and Gouweleeuw will probably get called up in 2013, while wijnaldum and Fer need to work harder.. van Wolfswinkel wil never get call from Bert as long as Huntelaar is there..

vagegast repped this.
  16. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    the whole point is they are doing good for their teams, and yet still don't get called up for meaningless games, i mean seriously, they took van nistelrooy out of retirement to beat san marino, to beat san marino, your telling me he couldn't try out any of these guys in meaningless games to test whether or not they are good enough. lets put san marino aside since it's a euro qualifier, but what about the friendlies, i mean if he worries about playing good and having the team gel with chemistry, then still have more friendlies with a b team. Other nations do it all the time. and Of course BVM can't guarentee if a guy will have a good career, but the point is if he doesn't try out other players, how will he know if they are good or not? I mean he tried bruma, and it wasn't very good. so he learned, hey this guy isn't what i need, but then afterward, nothing till bayern munich game, where he put in ron vlaar, someone we've all seen many times before.

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mark has said that if Oranje dont win,he will continue playing. Maybe he will play WC 2014 as well. If we win,he will lift the cup & announce his retirement from International Football.

Expect the possibility pf a 37 year old Mark in the next World Cup

19. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    seriously? well i would hope we at least get out of the group stage, thats it, Holland have to win no matter what,

20. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Only possible when his dad is still in charge at WC2014. Any other coach and we potentially already could have been looking at a Strootman/De Jong defensive block for this year's Euro. Don't understand why people always assume that it's De Jong that has to make way when Strootman is substituted in.

21. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    His selections are not v. Marwijk's problem. His tactics and the believe you can't win trophies with attractive attacking football is the problem. He destroys our football identity, all these players are brain-washed and I hope we won't win the Euro's with ugly footbll. It would give us a final push towards the wrong direction. I want this to stop, I want our football back.

However....

I would like you to think about our route towards Euro 2000. It was horrible, it was terrible! We only won 4 of the last 17 matches between World Cup 1998 and Euro 2000.

Code:
    Nederland - Peru    2-0    W
    Nederland - Ghana    0-0    D
    Duitsland - Nederland    1-1    D
    Portugal - Nederland    0-0    D
    Nederland - Argentinië    1-1    D
    Nederland - Marokko    1-2    L
    Brazilië - Nederland    2-2    D
    Brazilië - Nederland    3-1    L
    Denemarken - Nederland    0-0    D
    Nederland - België    5-5    D
    Nederland - Brazilië    2-2    D
    Nederland - Tsjechië    1-1    D
    Nederland - Duitsland    2-1    W
    Nederland - België    2-2    D
    Nederland - Schotland    0-0    D
    Nederland - Romenië    2-1    W
    Nederland - Polen    3-1    W
    We often played badly. Luckily we won our last 2 matches, meaning we got our confidence back a bit. The victory against Polen looked fine, but in general our game was not impressive. 29% of the Dutch fans expected we would win the European Championship. (According to the Telegraaf, it's currently 70%) It was followed by a horrible game in the groupstage, in which we used all our luck, against Tsjechië. We won thanks to a penalty that should not have been given. Tsjechië managed to hit the woodwork a lot. The first 45 minutes against Denmark where also horrible. The last 15 minutes where fine, what lead to a decent victory. But it was again not impressive. This was followed by a 3-2 victory over the B-team from France, we played with our strongest team. This match was better, but don't forget we played against France B.

We played terrific against Joegoslavië and we played terrific against Italy. We probably only played terrific in 2 of our 22 matches. However, we all believe we played attractive during Euro 2000.

Sources: http://www.archiefleeuwardercourant...searcher=alternativeSearcher&frm=539&from=550

JC-14 repped this.
  22. runnerup

runnerup Member

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Very true. Before WC2010, players all talked about those great Oranje teams of the past that everybody likes to talk about, but who never won a thing. So, they turned things around, and believed the opposite: playing beautiful football wins you nothing, so in orde to win, you have to play ugly. They (Sneijder, Van Bommel) even enjoyed that way of playing. It's that brainwashing that made Nigel believe he's a thug - and proud of it.
    However, RVP, VDV, Afellay, they are still in it for the game, not for the win. So it's still a mixed-mind team. Expect that to come out this time.

23. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's the opposite. You guys are the brainwashed ones, believing that being able to play "beautiful" will win us games. This is not the Eredivisie; you can't just field offensive minded players and completely not care about any kind of defense. Have you guys seen us play against teams that are defensively strong/sit back and just defend? Do I need to remind you that Barcelona and Bayern walked away with neither a league or Champions league title this season. I'm all about playing offensive minded, attractive futbol but with just a bit of realism. We don't have a Frank de Boer or Jaap Stam who we can rely on.

I'm not sure with kind of credibility you can get when you accuse of Nigel de Jong of being a thug and than praise van der Vaart in the next. Rafael is great and I'm a huge fan but his contributions to Oranje has been nominal.

If you want your futbol back, go back to '88. This defeatist mentality of "winning doesn't matter, quality does" is bs. People in Holland were proud of that performance 2 years ago. Stop moping. Let's win. I'm tired of crashing out in the quarter and semi-finals. I want to win.

Friendly reminder below. Imagine if we win.

KPSmit repped this.
  24. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    can someone make a thread Netherlands vs Nothern Ireland tactical discussion so we don't waste this thread, i'm not allowed to make threads

25. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Barca, 4 seasons, 14 prizes