Mad Men (Season 5) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. But I thought it was very effective.

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh, and about Don's supposedly ancient hookup with Andrea:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...3/mad_men_don_s_lincoln_center_timeline_.html

3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicely done.

If they get Sally addicted to pills, I'll be super pissed off.

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was Joan referring to when she told her husband "you're not a good man and you know what I'm talking about?" (or words to that effect)

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assumed she was referring to when he raped her on the floor of Don's office.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh. Of course! I completely forgot about that scene somehow.

7. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    One of the my issues with the episode (which I liked a LOT, warts and all, but there were clear warts) is how heavy handed it was in certain scenes - that line was clearly meant for the audience. I can't imagine a real life Joan Harris telling her husband that exact line. I mean, I almost expected a Ferris Bueller-style breaking-the-4th-wall wink (Peggy with her purse on the coffee table was the other scene that stuck out for its lack of subtlety).

8. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, fifty minutes of (for me anyway) exquisitely rendered awkwardness and then a complete change of direction.

9. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    What a fantastic Pete episode. An incredibly well done character examination without some of the flights of fancy that Weiner sometimes employs. It almost makes you feel sorry for Pete.........almost. Which is exactly where the show should end up.

11. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    In which Pete is reminded repeatedly that he is not Don Draper.

* Getting up early to watch footy at the pub. Plus ça change and all that.
    * Also, I love that a red headed hooker goes straight for Roger. I'm assuming he's a regular.
    * Is there anything less informative than the "on the next episode of Mad Men..." teaser?

12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pete is a little shit and he continually makes an ass of himself. Hitting on the high school girl at the driving class was creepy and pathetic. He did the same thing with the au pair a few seasons back.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I laugh at that every week.

Anyway, for me this season has been absolutely impeccable. One of the best seasons of TV I can remember.

14. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Liked how Don quickly came up with the name "Whitman."

15. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Great, great episode.

16. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    That was a fantastic episode. Probably the best of the show.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this season was off to it's worse start yet, but last nights episode was excellent. One of my favorites of the series.

18. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +2. That kills us.
    And I'm actually super grateful -- that's exactly how I like my "next week on..."(s). The only better method is the completely fabricated Arrested Development version.

But...

WOW.
    That was awesometastic. Almost too much to comment on.
    But let me start by saying that my world was rocked by seeing Don Draper in that sport coat. The fact that Megan bought it for him and made him wear it does not repair the rip in the fabric of the universe brought on by that fabric on that character.

But the scene with Lane and Joanie was unbelievably great. The way she stood up and opened the door and just returned to the conversation was perfect Joan Harris. And I think The Phat Hat is correct above-- the explicitness of that line last week to her shithead husband was slightly off.

And the icing was her response to Lane's "I'm so humiliated."
    "Everyone in the office has wanted to do that....
    (insert mental image of all men and woman in the office grabbing Joan by the waist and planting one on her)
    ...to Pete Campbell."

Outstanding.

And Peggy's silent take after the fight was epic.

Bonus:
    Red Asphalt!
    BonuBonus:
    The '66 Cup! ("Cup of what...?")

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet another good episode. :cool:

* It's great that the 1966 FIFA World Cup final between England and West Germany was incorporated into the storyline. Among other things, its inclusion on the show actually shows how much the popularity of soccer has increased in the U.S. since then, though Roger's response to Lane's mention of the World Cup in the office the next day ("Cup of what?") isn't too different from what many American Joe and Jane Sixpacks would say today and shows how much further soccer still has to go here.

* I was wondering what Larisa Oleynik was up to after her brief stint last season and a bit this season on CBS's Hawaii Five-0. I'd forgotten that she's also been playing Ken Cosgrove's wife Cynthia on this show, though this latest episode was the first time that her character had significant airtime.

* Speaking of Ken Cosgrove: considering that I've finally had the chance to resume playing L.A. Noire recently, it's pretty cool that Aaron Staton's character on this show is getting some airtime again as well.

* This episode also demonstrated yet another example of Peggy having changed over the course of the show: she told Ken how much she liked one of his sci-fi stories, whereas in the series premiere way back when she told one of the other guys that she hates sci-fi (after being told about the then-current TV show The Twilight Zone).

As usual, I can't wait for next week. :)

-G

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, this latest episode was directed by John Slattery (who plays Roger Sterling), the second actor-directed episode this season following Jon Hamm's effort two episodes ago.

-G

21. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm right there with you. Last night was exceptional.

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It was good to hear them call the game "football" too... :)

I was a little puzzled by the pub scene. There were Union Jacks, which was historically accurate. If you look at pictures of the WC final crowd at Wembley, you'll see there are Union Jacks as opposed to the Cross of St George. I don't think England fans adopted the Cross of St George until some time in the '70's. But the red and white scarves? Ok, so Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal were all big Division One teams back then and it was de-riguer to wear a scarf as opposed to a club shirt, but I'm sceptical that a crowd of ex-pats would have worn their club scarves in that manner for an England game.

It's going to be interesting to see The Guardian's take on this after the episode is shown in the UK on Tuesday evening.

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So glad you mentioned that -- I immediately thought "So... everybody's an Arsenal supporter?"
    At least that's the club that I associate with those red/white scarves. In fact, wasn't that scarf worn by the kid playing the young Nick Hornby in the English version of Fever Pitch?

A confused yank off to Google Images....

EDIT:
    And here's Colin Firth in the film .. (Although I would imagine a scarf like that could represent many clubs, yes?)
    [​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMr2daGzvnk"]fever pitch 1997- trailer - YouTube[/ame]

24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I should have noted England did play in red in that final. But I'm still sceptical fans would have worn club scarves like that.

25. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, a quick image search tells me ribbons, and not scarves, were part of the typical England supporter gear in 1966:
    [​IMG]

From a practical point of view, it wouldn't have made sense. It's one thing to wear a scarf to a match in November in England's Northwest, it's whole another to wear one in late July, when you're already wearing a suit jacket, in London (or a stuffy, smoky bar in Manhattan).

Anyway, I checked the dates of the event referenced in the last couple of articles: the nurse murders were on July 14, the World Cup Final was on July 30 and the Texas sniper shooting was on August 1. Well done, writers.