Mad Men (Season 5) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So she finishes that song and I'm thinking -- "...is she now going to be pop star? That's the new storyline?"

Because in my present day, American-Idol-ified mind, that person would be miles ahead in the stardom game -- gorgeous, more than decent stage presence, workable if ineffectual vocals.

And everybody of course wants to famous.

Then I realized that mindset probably doesn't even exist in that world yet.

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding! Her voice went down two octaves.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the show she aged nine months, but in real life she aged seventeen months (the last time a new episode had aired). :eek:

-G

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I liked it, but felt that two hours was too much.

5. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting to see Roger and Joan alone together before I gauge his reaction to the baby. Surely, he's not going to stand there in the middle of the office and be like "it's my boy!".

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vFOzG3GYqo"]Gillian Hills - Zou bisou bisou (1962) - YouTube[/ame]

edit - someone beat me to it.

Great season premier last night. That party was awesome!!!

And I loved the line Roger had for Joan "there's my baby, and would someone get that brat out of the way" (paraphrasing).

7. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not bad lol

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I finally got around to watching the episode after being on the road to, ironically enough, shoot an ad.
    Same here. That whole sequence had enough subtext to fill a warehouse. Man, when Megan makes that comment about leaving the baby at church steps and Peggy has that look.

And Harry Crane went from a likable chump whom everybody shit on to a slimeball that everyone hates, yet still gets shit on.

I agree that two hours was long, but they also needed every minute to fit all the good stuff. I'm excited for this season. I predict the Darkest Timeline.

9. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed Betty. Watching the Betty/Don marriage slowly crumble was what attracted me to the show.:)

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya got to see it tonite.

say it ain't so, betty. say it ain't so.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rather boring episode. I know it's not an action show, but previous seasons were engaging. It kept you entertained and there felt like more was going on.

12. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked a number of scenes, but I don't feel like they came together very well.

Did the shoot overlap with January Jones' pregnancy or is it just a fat suit?

Harry keeps finding ways to be a coward and a jerk at the same time.

So they went from "we can't hire anybody" to hiring two people in the space of a couple weeks?

13. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones was pregnant, yes.

New business means more money and more money means they can afford more people.

Sometimes I think Harry's trying to act a certain way depending on who he's with, so he comes off poorly. Other times I think he's just that awkward.

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my God! Because you are pregnant does not mean your face fills out and you get a double chin!

She may have filmed while she was pregnant, but they did a ton of make up on her face and her arms too.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that too. I also noticed that this episode was directed by Jon Hamm (who plays Don).

Though not always, the occasional episode that's directed by one of its stars rather than by one of its regular directors generally ends up like that for some reason on most shows.

The shoot overlapped with January Jones' pregnancy. She even said so recently in an interview on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (though she's currently back to her previous shape).

-G

16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've absolutely loved the first two episodes of this season. This is the most intelligent drama on television by leaps and bounds, and I keep worrying it's going to devolve into tawdry or maudlin soap opera, but it never does (knock on wood).

When they started with the fat Betty storyline, I was pleased. Here's a woman whose only worth has been her appearance, and now she's destroying that. There's a lot to chew on there (ha, so to speak)... but then they throw in the tumor! I told Mr. Demo I couldn't believe they were actually going to make me feel sorry for Betty. The way she reached out to Don I thought was very tender and very telling, and it tied directly into Don's paternalistic conversation with the girl at the Rolling Stones show. Then you think for a moment that Betty is going to actually reflect on her behavior and change her life, but no...

It was sad and pathetic, but moving as well. Don is moving forward, maybe stumbling and fumbling to find his place in the changing world, but moving forward nonetheless. Betty is stuck in an even grander and more oppressive prison than before. Don can also be childish, but he gets away with it because he's charming and capable. He has value in the world. Betty's childishness just ruins everything she touches. The contrast is very interesting.

17. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I can't tell how serious you're being here, but I've been around enough pregnant women to know that bloating everywhere is the norm, including arms and especially the face. Seriously, Google postpartum double chin and you get link after link mommy blogs and parenting boards.

I bring this up because my immediate thought after seeing her face was "Holy crap, she's going to carry Henry's child. This is going to be awkward when she and Don inevitably reunite."

Anyway, I second Demo. Two wildly different episodes, but I liked them both. I don't like Bettty but Betty-heavy episodes tend to be good. And I'm finding it hard to root for Pete or Roger. Team Cosgrove, I guess.

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having a hard time having enthusiasm for the season thus far. I wish I had a more articulate way of putting it, but I'm just not interested in what's going on in the show.

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on various jobsites today so I don't have time to do a search and post pictures, but do a search of January Jones pregnant. She was all baby.

Sure some women gain a lot of weight when pregnant, but most swelling is in the legs and feet.

That was make up.

20. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was expecting to be completely bored by Megan's character, but I'm finding her and Don pretty interesting.

I liked the way she handled the news of Betty's cancer scare, and how she perfectly handled Don using that as an excuse to avoid hanging out with her friends (which is also kind of understandable: Don had just wasted an evening being the old guy backstage at a Stones concert and now he was going to be the old guy with Megan's friends).

But then she also gave that pretty snarky response to Betty's good medical news--"She just wanted an excuse to call you." Yikes.

More importantly, Don does not even want to entertain the thought of Megan serving as a step-mother to his kids. "Megan as their mother? How does that end?" Yikes x Yowza = Uh Oh.

Side Note:
    I love how Peggy's style is consistently drab and awful no matter the era.

21. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    Was it that, or did Don not like the thought of his kids growing up without their mother? I thought one of the things that Don loved about Megan was how well she did with his kids (in "Tomorrowland" on the California trip).

22. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I've read elsewhere that Jones wore a fat suit, and that makes sense (and they used makeup and a fat suit for Peggy's pregnancy in Season 1).

And yeah, January Jones didn't look like she gained much weight (her height and build spread things out, I think), though her late pregnancy pics look like her when she was shot from the neck up. It basically looks like a combination of fat suit + natural pregnancy fat + body double for the bath scene.

Still, I don't know if I'd say that *most* swelling is in the legs and feet - that's where it's most common and pronounced (shoes get uncomfortable and all), but you know how women have to end up wearing their rings around their necks, right? The double chin and enlarged arms are normal, if not universal.

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, he did make a point of that.

I think it's both. When he was talking to Roger, it seemed to me that he was directly implying that Megan serving as their step-mom would be a disaster. Which was kind of surprising.

But it could be all about the loss of their mother and how he had to deal with that as well.

24. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Though it seems like he now sees her less as a potential mother for her kids and more as someone he should've kept as a fling.

25. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To play off a pregnancy as someone simply being fat, I would guess they would have to make most women look like they've gained a lot. I have no issues at all with makeup, fat suit, etc..