Lucas Cawley

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by SeaOtter, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the question and the short answer is that i dont think he has spoken much with them but Lucas is in charge of his recruiting and so I am not aware of everyone that he has spoken with or had contact with. He does consult with me and has not brought them up so far. We hear conflicting information from college coaches some say he should commit very soon and others say he should wait but I think we are targeting a commit by the end of April but that could change.

2. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.grandesportsacademy.com/...ut-what-it-is-like-to-sign-a-letter-of-intent

Lucas teamates from last year at RSL sign their letters.
    One thing that is great for Lucas about playing with older boys is that he can learn and watch them go through the recruiting process and that has been a big help for him. On last years RSL team Lucas was one of only two sophmores that played and this year on Portland he is one of three juniors that play. I think next year it will be very different for Lucas to actually be playing with guys in his same grade of school. Overall he has developed faster by having to play against bigger stronger players. Congrats to all the boys from both RSL and Portland that have fulfilled a dream of signing for a college to play the sport that they love.

4. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick update of Lucas weekend. There were not any official academy games but the timbers did scrimmage the 18s and 16s together with two games on Saturday. The reason I mentioned this is because Lucas called me excited on Saturday night and said he had scored a goalaso in the scrimmage from about 30 yards. He was very excited and it was great to share in his love of the game. I had heard from another player that it is very much like a Ronaldo goal where Lucas dribbled a couple of players and cut in from about 30 yards struck the ball and it was about 5 yards above the goal when at the very end it dipped and went right in the corner. In addition to the goalaso Lucas stayed and played in the second game as well so he feels very good about his current fitness level.

5. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well finally another game on the schedule as the boys continue the never ending road trip that will have a stop in northern California this weekend to play san juan club and then next weekend down to play nomads and san diego surf on March 1 and 2. After that Portland will have about 9 games in row at home. Lucas is fit and ready to continue a good run in form this weekend.

6. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the timbers went to northern california and got a very nice win on the road. Lucas started the game at left half with the idea that he could cut back in a lot and shoot with his right foot. Portland played a motivated San Juan side and played the first half into the wind. Even with that the timbers should have for
    The lead when Christian was not able to finish a penalty that he earned . Once the second half began and with the wind at their back Portland went into do
    Domination mode And a couple of very clear chances . Lucas was really creating some havic and almost scored the go ahead goal at about 70 minutes on a nice cut in move and shot . Finally at about 75 minutes Timur got behind the defense and calmly slotted in the game winner. The scoring was not over however as Lucas had one more great run in his legs. He took the ball a little past the half line on the left side and scooped two incoming defenders to get by them and head towards the goal as the central defenser closed Lucas made a hard cut back to his left on the outside skinning the defender now with a player open in the box Lucas made a cross which the last defender put out his hand to stop. That made it a clear penalty slotted home by Timur and a well deserved 2 to 0 win. Most impressive part of Lucas game today besides the dribbling runs was his amazing fitness level which gave him a nice advantage as the game wore on. Now next week down to San Diego to play the surf and nomads .

7. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well another great weekend for the Timbers u-18s and for Lucas with two more road victories in Sunny San Diego The first game against the surf was very physical and the field was very diificult to play on. This affected the game a lot with bouncing balls and bad touches. In the end the Timbers had more chances and deserved the 1 to 0 win on a Christian goal of a nice build up play that involved about 8 passes. On Sunday the Timbers played a solid first half against a struggling Nomads club that saw them take a 3 to 0 lead. Two goals by Christian and one by Nosak. The second half saw a little bit more effort from the Nomads and a 3 to 1 final was a fair result. Lucas ran his guts out and logged in another 180 minutes. I believe that makes 5 games in a row for Lucas of playing all 90 minutes. Dont look now but the Timbers u-18 is back in playoff contention with 9 of their last ten at home. My guess is that 6 wins and they will make the playoffs.

8. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A big weekend coming up for Lucas and the boys with pata Dores and the strikers coming in to Portland this will be the first of a run of home games for the team Lucas is healthy and fit and ready to go

10. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you for the updates

11. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A very interesting game today that ended up with a lot of goals the final score was 3 to 3 both teams made some defensive mistakes but overall was a hard very aggressively played game. Lucas started at left half left wing and played all 90 minutes and created good opportunities from the left with some nice centers. Tomorrow they play again at 11 AM.

12. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The weekend ended with Lucas playing another 90 minutes and really putting in a lot of running. The team went down to 10 men after a red card on the goalie and a PK. Despite that the team created about 6 good chances in the second half with Lucas getting a few good shots on goal and some nice crosses. Lucas now will come home to Utah for spring break on March 26 and then back up to portalnd to host Vancouver and San Juan on April 6.

13. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Lucas had a great opportunity before spring break to train with some of the reserve team coaches and it was highlighted by taking part in a first team drill and getting to guard Valeri of the portland timbers first team and former member of the Argentine national team. What a dream come true for Lucas. These are the type of opportunites that Lucas intended when he sacrificed time at home with friends and family to pursue his dream. After spending 5 days back in Utah for Easter Lucas is back up in Portland getting ready for this weekends double header against The Whitecaps and San Juan. Both those teams will be seeking revenge for ealier loses to the Timbers 18s.

14. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The games this weekend were fun to watch and some good soccer was played. Lucas started and played all 90 minutes in a highly contested 2 t0 0 lose to divison leading Vancouver. The whitecaps kept good possesion and had about 5 good chances and a PK. Portland had about 7 good chances and a Pk but missed their Pk and that was the difference. On Sunday Lucas took a weel deserved rest after starting and playing all 90 minutes in the last 8 games. He did come off the bench in the second half to help ensure the 2 to 1 win. Lucas also got a surprise this weekend when I showed up with a car for him. He is very excited to be able to drive around Portland and get where he needs to be.

This week Lucas will announce his college choice. There are a bunch of Pac 12 schools recruiting him but the only hint I will give is that the college is out west and not in the Pac 12. Stay tuned for the announcement.

16. radsoc

radsoc Member

May 24, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Congrats on the college choice. Interesting new program and there should be a good local rivalry if BYU ever gets their program started like it is rumored to.

17. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucas announcement:
    >
    > I am excited to announce that beginning in the fall of 2014 I will be
    playing soccer for the Utah Valley University Wolverines!
    >
    > I want to thank family, friends, coaches, and all my teammates for
    helping me reach this moment. I want to thank all of the colleges that
    showed such interest in me. It was an honor to be recruited by so many
    prestigious universities. Deciding to go to UVU was definitely the right
    decision for me. Personally there are a lot of things that this college can
    provide for me; helping me reach my goals in soccer and hopefully playing
    pro someday, playing in a high level soccer environment every day, and
    getting to play back in my hometown.
    >
    > I'm very excited to return home to Utah to play college soccer! Not only
    personally was it an easy decision but it was great for my family to have me
    be able to come back home and play. Up until a few months ago I did not
    think this was a possibility. I'm very excited to have their support at my
    games as I start playing my freshman year at UVU.
    >
    > When I heard Greg Maas was the coach it made my decision that much easier.
    Greg has always been one of the best coaches I've ever had as a youth player
    on the Utah ODP Team. The number one priority when choosing a college for
    me was 1st the coach. This is where Greg came in. Instantly I had a coach at
    a perfect college that I knew, trusted, and loved as a player and friend. I
    cannot wait to start playing and go to UVU in 2014. The opportunities are
    endless there, and I'm very blessed to have this happen in my life
    >
    > With the program beginning in 2014, Utah Valley University will be the
    home to the only NCAA Division I soccer program in the state of Utah. By
    that time, the UVU athletic program will be in its 12th season of
    competition at the D-I level and will be a full member of the Western
    Athletic Conference. Over 32,000 students attend Utah Valley University,
    making it the largest public university in the state of Utah. I was so
    impressed when I took a tour of the university and saw the plans for the
    soccer facilities. I feel like I will be part of something that is going to
    be very big and have big success very quickly.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Luke
    >
    >
    > Here are some quotes from Lucas High School Coach about Lucas:
    >
    > Dave Wigham head coach at Viewmont High School:
    >
    > "Lucas is the most complete soccer player I have coached in 30 years of
    high school. He has everything needed to succeed in soccer. His
    understanding and vision during games is phenomenal . I have coached a lot
    of technically gifted played like Lucas but never one that is just as strong
    tactically as well."
    >
    > "Lucas is also very goal driven and he wants to be a professional player
    and has worked very hard to achieve this goal. I have no doubt we'll see him
    play at that level".
    >
    > Here is a link to the UVU soccer announcement. If you have questions
    about UVU soccer please call Greg Mass at 801-574-7066.
    >
    > http://www.wolverinegreen.com/genrel/022713aac.html
    >
    > I have attached pictures of Lucas and here is a little soccer history of
    Lucas. If you want to talk with Lucas you can call him at 801-989-1049.
    >
    > ACHIEVEMENTS
    > Named MVP of game for Region IV team in Costa Rica v. Heredia. Named to
    1st team All Star team of the 95 ODP Championships 2011. Named to Western
    United States Team of the month along with 7 other players of all ages for
    standout play and leading La Roca to the Semifinals of Far West Regionals.
    Called to Real Madrid Select Camp over the 2011 Summer. Invited to U-17 U.S
    National Team, after age error could not go. All State High School Player
    for 5A in Utah as a freshman for Viewmont. Three time Region IV player and
    One time MVP. 3 Year Captain for La Roca FC. 4 Year Captain for Utah ODP
    State team. Had successful trials in England with the Fulham and
    Southhampton u-18 teams. Played 2011-2012 with RSL-Arizona u-16 Academy .
    Currently plays with the u-18 Portland Timbers Academy team.
    >
    > Finally here is a YouTube clip of Lucas from last year.
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?

> v=yB0WddBgM7U&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

18. poprox

poprox Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Congrats to Lucas and Utah Valley for landing a very talented player, I am sure this is a major weight off of hiss shoulders. Best of luck!

Toddsoccerdad repped this.
  19. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you and yes it was nice to make the decision. He had a a lot of very good offers and at 17 is hard to make a final decision but I really think Lucas did a great job of figuring out his goals and priorities and making a decision based on achieving those.

20. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news for Lucas as he has been called up for the Portland Timbers reserve game today. Good luck Lucas !

23. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucas getting ready for the final four games of the season. They need four wins to have a chance to make the playoffs. Two ties over the weekend against Santa Cruz and De Anza where lucas started both games. This week a trip to Seattle to play Crossfire.