Lucas Cawley

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by SeaOtter, Aug 20, 2012.

1. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone here care to give insight into this player?

I'm a Fulham fan and have just seen a tweet of his stating his training with our team went well.

I've asked around on Fulham boards and no one knows of him, if he's signed, or if he's just trialing.

Wiki says that he's been a Timbers player, but I can't recall his name in MLS circles.

what's his position? talent level? age? any kind of knowledge would be appreciated.

2. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google search brings up RSL and not Timbers. Better ask someone there since he is a product of their academy program.

3. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucas Cawley ‏@LucasCawley

Finished up with Fulham today. Had a successful week. Got what I wanted Coming into it. Determined now focused. Ready for the Timbers!

Sounds to me like he's a Timbers player....at some level.

4. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I understand.

I did another google search of the Portland Timbers site and Stumptown Footy that does training reports and not one hit of a Lucas Cawley.

I'll ask the reporter who does the training reports for Stumptown Footy if he knows anything.

5. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate it. I was interested as a Fulham supporter, but seems that he did well training with us, so maybe something for the future with you.

Thanks for looking into it.

6. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a response. No clue. Rosters for the U-16 and U-18 teams are hard to come by. You'd have to go to a select source to get any info about the player. Also, the teams were just formed in the past year, it is still a nascent program.

Well, his twitter says he moved to Portland [link below]. Most likely is playing for the academy now that he lives here. Did play for RSL's academy previously.

https://twitter.com/LucasCawley/status/239141423432224768

So, there is nothing to report here since he just arrived from Utah. I wouldn't have any info on him unless he shows his face on a reserve roster, at training with the first team, or after graduating high school [in 2014] he is welcomed back to the Timbers U-23 PDL team. Anyone with info right now would be someone who knows RSL's academy well.

SeaOtter repped this.
  7. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really appreciate you taking the time to ask around. Maybe we'll hear from this kid again soon. Hopefully something positive for the Timbers.

Have a good one.

8. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I can help as I am his Dad. Message me offline and I can answer your questions. And yes he did have a very good trial over in Fulham if he held a Euro passport I think he would have done something with them but always the red tape ha ha. He was the captain of the Region 4 ODP team that went to costa rica two years ago. He went to the Real Madrid select ID camp a year ago and he spent last year as one youngest players on a very good RSL Arizona u-16 team. In July he lead his old Utah La Roca team to win the Schwanze Cup and as a reward the whole team will be visiting newcastle untied sometime in the next few months all expenses paid. He spent last month in England and did variouis trials two of which were Fulham and South Hampton. By all reports I received he did very well and both clubs really liked him and will be following him closely. And finally yes he is in car headed to Portland right now to play with the Portland Timbers u-18 Academy. Thanks and cheers.

Shiver_Me, SeaOtter and Kejsare repped this.
  9. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my, a select source indeed! Thanks for the info. I wish him the best of luck.

11. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to the Timbers academy this weekend as they travel to play two of the top u-18s in the country in chivas and galaxy. Should be quite an opening test.

12. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really appreciate the information about your son.

13. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are welcome. Now that this thread is out there I will try and keep it updated on what he is doing. Thanks for your interest. He certainly came back from England inspired and with some good feedback from Fulham. He realizes just how close he is to reaching his dreams. From what I understand Fulham and another couple of English clubs have some strong interest in Lucas.

14. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly hope he gets what he's after. Good luck to him.

Curious, is he eligible for a Euro passport? Your earlier comment made it sound like he might be. Has he had any contact with USSF, ever?

15. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucas does have a grandpa that has Swedish parents so we are looking at that option. As far as the USSF lucas went to Costa Rica with the USA Region 4 Olympic Development Team and was the MVP of one of the games. He also was first team All Star at the 2011 Region 4 ODP Championships. Lucas challenge with the National Team pool his age was his birthdate. He was born 11-10-1995 and the last group for the USA u-17 team was players born after January 1, 1994. That made Lucas very young to compete with the players called up to the team. Almost all of the players were two years older than him in school. On the flip side he was scouted last year by USSF at a tournament and invited to join the U-17 national team by the assistant coach after the semi final of the far west regionals. He ran on to the field and told Lucas he was coming to florida and that he was one fo the best players he had seen. When he saw Lucas date of birth his comment was Shit your six weeks to old . Lucas goal this year is to get a call up to the u-18 National team. Anyway I hope that answers your question.

SeaOtter repped this.
  16. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Lol, I hope you realize the significance of this... This is exactly what makes him homegrown-eligible for Portland-- the fact that he didn't qualify for u-17s.

18. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said and yes I would like to think that in life everything happens for a reason. One thing that I know is that when that did happen to Lucas instead of being dissapointed and taking it as bad Lucas just said "Dad I am good enough to play with the best and be one of the best now I just need to work hard the next few years and it will all work out".

19. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to the Timbers Academy today and tomorrow as they open their season down in LA with four tough games .

21. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the 16s held their own with two very impressive ties. The 18s struggled a little bit with two loses 5 to 0 to chivas and 2 to 0 to Galaxy. Because of his late arrival from England and getting his wisdom teeth out Lucas did not go on this trip but is looking forward to playing Seattle in two weeks.

22. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucas really excited to play his first Academy game with the Timbers this week against conference rival Seattle. Game is on Saturday.

23. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucas reports a hard fought game against the Sounders u-18s that ended in a 1 to 1 tie. Lucas had sprained his ankle the previous Sunday so he only trained two times before the match and was gong to be coming off the bench. He received more minutes than he anticipated with an injury to the right half back 20 minutes into the game. Lucas played hard and was happy to get the tie. The team is new and improving and Lucas said in two weeks they will get a win.

24. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to run up to Portland and watch Lucas and the team play. Really some good results for a team that lost its first two games they are now undefeated in the last three. Lucas started both games and played well. The first game was against Real So Cal and saw Real pressing high in the first half. Portland seemed to figure it out and was very dominant in the second half. A game Portland should have won but settled for a tie. The second game against Arsenal was played at a very high level. Both teams played some good football and Portland got the 1 to 0 win. Lucas played the first game in the center mid and played well in helping to battle a fairly defensive Real So Cal. Against Arsenal he pushed out to left winger and his pace and dribbling was a nightmare for the defense. I thought this was his best game so far with much of Portlands attack coming down the left through Lucas. A great game and win. Next up a visit down to Real Salt Lake Arizona to play his old team. Should be fun.