love those Saudis

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by msilverstein47, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Like so many things, its theory & design do not cover all eventualities and are subject to many human variables.
    I just hope that what followed was not autobiographical!
    Probation, much less the criminal court system, is not a money maker. If it was, it would be have been outsourced.
    Frankly, considering the unemployment rate in the inner city, not a major problem.
    It's kind of like your mother, with some different consequences.
    Prisons are not profitable. They are a drain on the economy. While prisons provide jobs for the COs & the staff, they cost taxpayers billions. OTOH, the actual taxpayers often prefer prisons, to having criminals on the street, occasionally supervised.
    That option starts far earlier than the court & police. There's an old line, about how kindergarten teachers can predict what students are going to wind up in prison.
    Good. I don't mind a rational discussion on the criminal justice sytem. I do have a problem with people who claim the entire system is corrupt, as an explanation for their own screw-ups.

2. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you serious? Do you really believe the stupid crap you type?

Dude you live in some kind of fantasy world when it comes to your opinions on our criminal justice system, HSBC invalidates damned near everythig you just typed. The biggest money launderers for drug money in the entire history of mankind just got let off with a ~10% of profits fine. They can actually continue in the banking industry, Laundering drug money by the billions.

So these clairvoyant teachers can accurately predict who is going to prison? Well if you live in an inner city minority area you can point to any minority male and predict they will have a criminal record and you will be right about 2/3 of the time.

This fricking theoretical fantasy of which you speak in no wise reflects the reality of those who deal with the CJ system on a daily basis. Prisons are profitable to the people who own them and the lawmakers who make sure they maintain the contractually obligated minimum occupancy rates. The fact they may make a giant now untraceable thanks to citizens united donations to the candidates who are most favorable to their prison is a growth industry agenda.

Noraway has the one of thye lowest crime rates in the world. One of the lowest prison occupancy rates and one fo the lowest recidivism rates in the world. Rahter than even look at their system you point to how great our system of crime and punishmnet whner ours is several orders of magnitude more expensive and less effective than theirs. Of course that is only true if you are minority here, so people like you don't give a dayumm.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I've worked within the CJ system for 38+ years.
    You? And, muni court for your traffic tickets don't count.
    Had I posted this comment, you'd have called me a racist.
    Can you identify a single person who owns a prison?
    Looks like you lost your sh!t right about here.
    Remember when Norwegians were known by another name?
    The Vikings! Rampaging & pillaging one voyage, pillaging & rampaging the next.
    Now, they captain cruise ships.

Like I said to Boloni, I don't mind a rational discussion. You, on the other hand ...

4. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Okay.... that makes you just a straight up liar and that is considerably worse than misinformed. What you posted above about our CJ system is a bunch of classroom, theoretical BS and has no reflection in the real world; unless you happen to be a white kid from suburbia with well to do parents then the systyem reflects what you say.

5. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Nice dodge, bitch. Answer the question.

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Not really. Although I have seen people close to me struggle through some Kafkaesque justice system bureaucracy black holes.

Never said it was. My point is that it drains the resources of an often resourceless subject. And the fact that they operate as a net loss to the tax payer, makes it even more harmful IMO. Urinalysis requirements for example are a useless exercise IMO. The hardest drugs like meth and coke will go out of your system in 48 hours. Some people will just switch to undetectable drugs like acid. In the end all it does is punishes marijuana smokers while harder drug users can easily beat the system. There's many more of these futile exercises that are just meant to trip people up.

Sure for many people going to jail is not a net loss. But there are people that work and just sell an ounce of weed here and there after work. Those are the people I'm talking about.

Prisons is a whole other can of worms. I'm talking more about courts ... the actual source of the "justice"

I don't blame the justice system for crime problems. I basically attribute crime to chronic poverty. My point is that the justice systems often don't make things better. Part of that is bad laws. Part of that is excessive bureaucracy. And part of that is draining the resources of public defenders, while at the same time strengthening the resources of the prosecution.

I do have to say that big city (inner city) courts oddly enough behave in a more fair and rational way than suburban courts. They have no choice when faced with so much real crime. A big city judge won't waste resources on a pot smoker, or a drunk or a prostitute. They have real crime to worry about.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    GEO Group Inc. and Corrections Corporations of America here in NM. (Remember corporations are people too these days.)

CCA doesn't own the one in Grants, I believe-- but they operate it for profit. Ownership is kinda irrelevant to the point isn't it?

I have the impression that GEO actually owns the facility in Hobbs-- don't know about the one in Clayton.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks to the ignore list, I thought DamonEsquire was back.

JBigjake repped this.
  9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Your question is not relevant. I am sorry that you have devoted your life to a system that is broken. I get your need to defend it since you are either a convict (not likely)or have given your life's work to it.

None of that changes any of the facts I stated, and HOW Norway's viking history has no more to do with this than our history of genocide through biological warfare or our ~three hundred year enslavement of black people.

As for the racist question it is only racist when you say it ought to be so, instead of being outraged. Otherwise it is a real statistical fact.

This whole discussion started because of your outrage over some Saudi execution. Well I get the outrage but your pompous and condescending air of American superiority are not warranted . Our record is pathetic and the worst among western industrial nations. NYC can practically search you on the street without cause and you want to brag?

While the incident in SA was outrageous, it was no more egregious than the tens of thousands of black people in jail for drug offenses while the bankers who enabled the whole enterprise paid a nominal monetary fine. 21 billion is nominal if you made over 200 billion. The same stuff goes on daily in our system. To allege, pretend, or assert otherwise is to further a lie. There is no getting around that we are one of the worst of the modern industrialized world in or rate of incarceration and in the severity of penalties across socio-demographic lines. Our recidivism rate is also off the charts bad comparatively.

None of this stuff requires a PHD to know, only a modest effort to look for the truth. These statistics and numbers are available straight from the federal and state governments. An educated professional in the field should already be aware of this.

Private for profit prisons and minimum occupancy rates- You realize this puts the government in a position of having a vested interest in keeping prisons full.
    . The CCA is currently in the midst of a sales pitch with 48 state governments in hopes of adding those institutes to their list of facilities, but under a contract exposed by RT last month, those prisons must be able to guarantee at least 90 percent occupancy during the tenure of a contract with the CCA for them to consider the purchase.

teammellieIRANfan and Boloni86 repped this.
  10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making license plates while incarcerated for serial pederasty doesn't really count.

11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you can enlighten all of us and explain how a system that executed an innocent man and has put scores of innocent men on death row is something to be proud of.

Really. Take your time. We can wait.

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    What really gets me is how reluctant prosecutors and police are to admit their mistakes when new evidence becomes overwhelming. And judges too.

Careers matter more than an innocent man in jail.

ElasticNorseman, roadkit and fatbastard repped this.
  13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    As I surmised. A college student.
    I'm sure that someday you'll find a career. Perhaps you'll interact with many people and fulfill their needs. I just hope that it doesn't involve you asking, "Want fries with that?"
    Don't you know that vikings rowed & sailed to Africa in their longboats & brought slaves to England, where they became footballers?
    I don't think I was outraged. Frankly, not even surprised.
    Preferable to your self-hate.
    It's a lot safer & European tourists flock there now.
    I can't wait, until you grow up & fix all this.
    It does, in your case, tree jumper.
    Can your mother really claim to be proud of you? I'll wait.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Often depends on what the evidence is, and of what magnitude. Some friend of an inmate claiming that a now-dead person made a deathbed confession, is different from DNA. I've seen a few claims of innocence. They're usually as fool of holes as alibi witnesses.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Number 317 in my file of "Typos That Would Make a Good Name For a Band."

JBigjake and ElasticNorseman repped this.
  16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Guided by Pollard! :D

crazypete13 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Maybe I've seen too many sob story shows/documentaries of the "innocent man" being released from jail 20 years later. Every such story includes years of uphill battling by volunteer lawyers where the courts put up one obstacle after another based on technicalities. In so many of these cases the media, the public and everyone paying attention can see the holes in the original case and yet the courts fight back for years. And all the while the prosecutor's office doubles down on denial after denial until they're literally the last ones standing.

Of course these cases get the national attention so they probably skew the perception. For every such case there's probably 10 cases of a guilty man working the system from behind bars trying to reverse a guilty sentence.

18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    No system is perfect, but the percentage is relatively small, in my experience. Defense attorneys & public defenders that I know, for the most part, despair over the actions of their clients. There are more constitutional defenses, than factual. Complaining the the officers who found drugs on your client lacked sufficient probable cause to search, is a bit different from claiming that the officers planted drugs on your inncoent client. Does that mean that neither happens? No. Does that mean that these are the only two options? Again, no. I'm as big a fan of video cameras & search warrants as anyone. There's nothing wrong with a vehicle stop, a Stop & Frisk, an arrest or an interrogation being recorded, for subsequent review. I'm as suspicious of the officer who does too much, as of the one who does too little. Training, supervision, review & oversight are never bad things. Frankly, when you watch enough videos, you can't believe the things people do or say, while being recorded.
    The ratio is probably higher. Also, in many jurisdictions, appeals are handled by a state-wide attorney general's office, not the local district attorney's office which handled the case. With turnover in DAs & staff, many post-conviction proceedings are actually handled by attorneys who had nothing to do with the inital prosecution. I've also observed, over the years, a policy of appellate defense attorneys to throw the trial-level attorneys under the bus. A common strategy is to accuse the lawyer, who actually tried the case, of failing to do something, which in the opinion of the lawyer handling the appeal, would have meant acquittal. Hindsight is always 20/20.

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it would keep jobs in house, Americans make those hellfire missiles, stimulus spending.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wonder if you could purchase it directly from the Saudis on pay per view??? I'm sure that Cablevision would charge you $99.99 if you order 3 days in advance.

22. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Israelis would probably do it for less, but the Saudis won't bargain hunt. ;)
    Great idea! Too bad your name isn't al-Silbah!
    Now, what format? Take them out into the desert and pile them all into one SUV? Let the group fight among themselves about who drives? Then, off they go, with a 5 minute headstart, before the chopper is launced? Or, each gets his own ride, with para-mutuel betting over the order in which they are blown up? Side wagering on how long each last, whether each dodges an initial strike?
    Considering the Saudi penchant for the occasional group execution, this could even develop into a franchise. Locals could pitch ideas for various methods of execution. A panel of executioners, royalty, cleric & celebrities could debate the proposals & gradually winnow down the ideas to a grand finale, with audience and on-line voting? Then, on to the real show. Can't you just sense the excitement? What will it be? Camels and long rifles? Humvees & IEDs? Sand maze & swords?
    What title for the program? "Variety is the Spice of Death!"? "Off With Their Heads, Etc!"? "Who Wants To Be An Executioner?"

msilverstein47 repped this.