Losing the League, the Cup, Europe and Karloski - The David Moyes Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I wonder if that's SAF's line. He may have been the one who fought for Moyes longest.

Invincible repped this.
  2. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Hey...um...Gary?

We don't give a ********.

johno, SyedZada, Amdrag and 2 others repped this.
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    MY abosolute favorite David Moyes moment, gif, imagge whatever...

[​IMG]

4. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seeing as his brother is still a coach there, better to not be so explicit with the blame as far as the management and coaching staff is concerned. At least officially.

5. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My question is, if they waited this long, why they can't wait until the end of the season, which is only a couple weeks away? This is standard practice in the NBA/MLB/NFL. Standard end-of-the-season pink slips.

Did something happen all-of-a-sudden? It certainly can't be because the lightbulbs went on with the Man U Board only after the Everton loss. Clearly this must have been in the cards, and the formal CL failure to qualify must have triggered it. But in that case, why not wait a couple weeks more?

6. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Now he can go back to wearing tracksuits.

7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Still waiting for the biggest moment to happen. We actually buy a midielder who can help us.

Why in the ******** would you want THAT guy, or any Italian for that matter?

Well you know, DAvid Moyes results have slightly improved since 2014 right @tscboys ?

I mean, we went from losing to Everton at home 1-0 and having no shots, to leasing to Everton away 2-0 with 1 shot.

doubletrouble, Amdrag and Invincible repped this.
  8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Actually, his stance on diving, [if I remmeber correctly] is actually fair. He basically says he was encouraged to do it, and will do the same. Not diving, but going to ground when you feel you've been fouled.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I suspect part of the reason is that transfers in football, unlike American sports, can occur at any time. The sooner you boot out Moyes, the sooner you can officially reach out to potential successors and get their views on who they may want as players, or at least get Moyes away from that aspect of the club.

johno, dipluso and total_football repped this.
  10. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This, and also in American sports player acquisition is nearly always handled by someone else within the organization other than the head coach. The head coach has a voice in those discussions of course, but effectively almost every organization has a "Director of Football" type setup. In those cases it's less critical to get the coach installed as quickly as possible to move forward with internal planning for the squad.

Although the decision to appoint Moyes was of course made early last year we saw the risks inherent with having the coach getting settled in a bit late last summer when we were so painfully slow to move in the market. We're undoubtedly looking to spend big this summer and choosing a new manager, identifying targets, doing additional scouting if necessary and getting those deals started is critical and has to get going ASAP.

11. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    But his stance is all wrong because players shouldn't when they want to get down, but they need to be fouled enough to go down. And when you try to sell little nudge as a foul, it's a plain dive. I think he started well as a pundit, but he's associated with too many things (United, England team) to be objective. Carragher has been outdoing him for last couple of months.

benni... repped this.
  12. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    And to think the poor guy and his whole coaching staff were at Southampton a few days back, thinking they'd be here long enough to negotiate for the likes of Luke Shaw and the such :ROFLMAO:

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Actually, I wonder what van Gaal's likely appointment means for Shaw. I'm not sure van Gaal will fancy him, and Arsenal and Citeh don't need a LB. That could mean his fee will come down enough for Chelsea to buy him. I'm not especially hopeful of that, mind you, but it's a possibility.

The biggest losers out of all of this are Everton - they were about to monetize the hell out of Baines and Coleman this summer!

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    LMAO... Sky have an our special about the sacking on and... I quote from the narrator "but the honours board does show that he lead the club to success, winning the community shield last August".

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Amdrag repped this.
  15. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    Well if we choose van Gaal, I hope we don't wait around for him till after the World Cup, to start all the work when players would be more expensive and less available (bought by other clubs or unwilling to be sold since there isn't much time for a replacement). We can still sign well known players, who would presumably fit in 4-3-3 his system, after getting his approval from afar of-course.

Actually, I wonder what van Gaal's likely appointment means for Alexander Büttner. I just hope this isn't a situation where he goes, "hey you're Dutch, I'm Dutch, you play! And if anyone disagrees... I'm going to disrobe again and expose my red balls!!!"

If that would be the case, it'll be favorable to your pursuit of Shaw. Me thinks 30 million is too much for him anyway.

16. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch

SoyOllin, Futbol_Head and Amdrag repped this.
  17. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a shame the board didn't wait until Liverpool won the league to announce Moyes sacking.....we still would have been the biggest story in town (the world).

exref, Denis Horan and LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  18. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't make much sense for them to sack him a few games before the season ends. They should've just let him finish the season.

The only practical reason why they would do such a thing is to give Giggs a chance to see what he can do with the squad. So I believe if Giggs does something good, he might be the next manager.

19. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    He's finally broken his silence

doubletrouble and Amdrag repped this.
  20. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All sorts of leaks coming out now about his reign.

21. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  22. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Awesome. Especially the part about Shinji. :cool:

23. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Yes, what we need is another incompetent manager who hasn't got a clue.

24. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    I've been tagged a few times in this thread, I see. Huh, that's odd. I can't for the life of me imagine why? :cool:

Honest opinion, can't say I'm shocked or disappointed. I still believe that the players, especially the older core, should have some blame on their shoulders because regardless of whether or not they like Moyes they need to go out there and give more for the team. Some games (Liverpool, Olympiakos, Everton, etc...) it wasn't even a lack of 'tactics' but a lack of desire and heart from the players. That could be partially down to poor pre game talks, but they still have an obligation to work hard and I didn't see that from them. Overall though, this was a doomed position to take (the first guy after Fergie) and Moyes didn't do himself any favors by getting rid of the back room staff. I think he was right in letting Rene go, the guy may know his football but he seems like a completely spiteful Charlie Uniform November Tango, and that attitude wouldn't have been good for any manager coming in (remember how Rene felt about being overlooked by SAF). I think Phelan should have been kept on by Moyes, that was a big mistake, IMO. I felt bad for Steele having to go, but at the same time I understand as Woods has quite the reputation and has done fantastic work with Howard and even Richard Wright before that - he is a coach capable of being at a big club. I felt at times Moyes was almost trying to follow a narrative from 'Managing my Life', Sir Alex's autobiography, by sacking the staff and bringing in his own, stirring issues with the senior players, and taking such hands on approach with training (although that last one could be debated). Ultimately it hurt him. I think of all the managers in the world, only Mourinho has the necessary gall and ego to have handled taking over from Sir Alex with a gusto. I do feel bad for Moyes though.

Regardless of Moyes being sacked, the squad should still be shaken up. Over the next two to three years we need huge turnover in our players. The old guard needs to go as they our some of the players who I place most the blame on. The younger players, they don't have the experience or know how to deal with tough situations, but the older guard (and I wouldn't be surprised if Evra was in the thick of all this, since we know how he is) really looked poor and let us down at times too often and uncharacteristically.

25. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    Any of that is far from 'awesome'. If that's true, then Shinji can ******** right off. I want professionals here, not vindictive and antagonistic children.

exref, Denis Horan, J'can and 1 other person repped this.