Losing the League, the Cup, Europe and Karloski - The David Moyes Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All the English clubs use to struggle in the 90's to attract the very best players, they always went Italy or Spain. I don't think it is any longer a concern.

2. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why the insistance on "all things being equal"? Like I said, Kaka was reportedly offered 500k a week by City but chose at first to stay at AC Milan and then Real Madrid. If Man United's name was a significant draw versus the Premiership contenders, it would take crazy wages for them to choose otherwise.

If we were that much more of a draw tand Hazard's agent fee was enough to make a difference, I'd argue that Hazard would be telling his agent where to go.

I also fail to see what the profile of the player has to do with determining our drawing power. If United and Chelsea were in for Robben or Mikel, they were faced with a choice and United's name wasn't big enough to trump salaries etc.

And more to the point of this whole discussion (where our current circumstances leave us as a draw for talent) all things aren't equal anyway. We're having a shocking season which has involved some embarassing results with no UCL football to offer next season (likely) and no guarantee that 2014-15 will be any different.

Those are the circumstances in which Liverpool (among others) would be a bigger draw, especially if god forbid, they win the league. Who they were able to attract as a team that has struggled for UCL football in recent seasons is irrelevant. In fact, it goes some way to illustrating what an important factor it is to be able to play at that level. It's not like Liverpool don't have strong badge value around the world themselves, "all things being equal".

3. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    alright you two have lost me. so, are all things equal or not??

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    But why would you be a bigger draw than the other big England clubs if you offered less money? You claim you can't attract players generally, but it just seems like you're arguing that you can't attract big names when you pay less. That's a very different argument, and not one for which you'll get any sympathy.

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You'd be attractive for prestige purposes. If it's a matter of a slightly lower salary to play for the bigger name, the name can trump it.

If the only advantage your name gets is effectively a tiebreaker for matched personal terms, then it's not that big a factor.

It was implied (not by you, tbf) that simply being Man United meant we wouldn't be greatly impacted by not being able to offer UCL.

My point was that if our name isn't enough to be a deciding factor in the deals we mentioned, it certainly won't be in these circumstances.

7. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    fyp (multiple things wrong with it i might add)

barroldinho repped this.
  8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    But it wasn't just your name in those circumstances, it's the fact that you wanted to pay less money. I don't think a lack of CL will make that much difference, since you'll be buying even more to get back to that level, which is what you'll be pitching new players.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Another proud record broken by Moyes. 18 years in the CL is no more.

10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep, that really hurts more than anything.

The Champions League campaign was probably a par. Doubt Fergie would have got us much further.

But the Prem and two domestic cup campaigns have been a joke. No Champions League plus gifting the spot to Liverpool (given we gave them six points) is just plain hurtful. Likely finishing behind Everton a cruel irony.

In retrospect having a disastrous Champions League campaign may have been better as it would have lost the battle but maybe won us the war if it meant #MoyesOut.

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  12. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't care what Gary Neville says to be honest....He's toeing the party line and wants to stay in the good books of the club...I don't blame him for that but I won't take his opinions on us seriously....

Although I would agree with him that we could still attract players, it would be INSPITE of Moyes being in charge (if he continues to be in charge) and even once signed I don't think he can manage the best players in the world....

If people still had doubts about his man management skills then they need to look no further than tonight..Failure to take Rooney off when he was clearly injured shows that this is a man who cannot manage the egos in the dressing room and is someone filled with self doubt...He doesn't have the confidence, courage or conviction in his deeds....

14. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Poor lad....Looks a bit like Gollum.....

[​IMG]

exref repped this.
  15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Gollum was competent.

barroldinho, nimma and J'can repped this.
  16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We're out of the CL and that's expected. I don't believe in moral victories if that's what Moyes is getting at by saying we played well. Just get rid of Moyes asap but that won't happen. We have an easy schedule the rest of the way and we'll probably win them all since there's no pressure. Come a month from now, everyone will say how things are turning around for us but it's easy to play when there's nothing to play for. That's what happens to mid table clubs. And that's what we've become with him.

17. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some of those clubs may be fighting for something though which means being on easy street probably won't happen.

18. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe true. There are some more records to be broken this season...

Everton v Man Utd Sun 20 Apr 16:10
    Man Utd v Norwich Sat 26 Apr 17:30
    Man Utd v Sunderland Sat 3 May 15:00
    Man Utd v Hull Tue 6 May 19:45
    Southampton v Man Utd Sun 11 May 15:00

exref repped this.
  19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The other thing is United are a midtable club now but are still the defending champions and still the biggest club in the BPL. Teams will naturally gun for us even if they have nothing to play for ala WBA last term.

Having siad that, Everton, Norwich and Hull may/will have something to play for when we meet and Soton is always up to play a good game so pressure may be off us but for some teams not so much.

20. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    So what did we learn from the games against Bayern(that most of us already knew...)? Well, we learned that Moyes is good at setting up a side to defend its penalty box all game and.....nothing else.

Wonderful.

cr7torossi and benni... repped this.
  21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We'll win five on the trot and finish fourth.

22. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And in what way was that "good" considering we still conceded 3 goals in 17 minutes?

Drae repped this.
  23. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I hate to sound like I'm defending moyes here, and I'm not, but all of those goals were conceded when United(Evra) dropped their concentration in addition to moyes himself changing the team's tactics and personnel for the worse.

24. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Moyes job to keep the team on track. Look at Jose example.

In fact it is the second year in a row the lack of recognition of the situation on the sidelines caused us to lose games. When Nani was sent off, what the hell did Moyes do??

25. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Is this one of your failed attempts at being funny? :D

benni... and J'can repped this.