Post-match: Los Angeles Galaxy - San Jose Earthquakes Western Conf. Semi Game 1 (Sun., 11/4) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    First part made me laugh. Second part makes me nervous. See my previous post about counting chickens.

Beerking repped this.
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're welcome to your opinion, and I'd love to discuss it with you over a beer or three. However, the outcome and the stats support my contention. It was not nearly as lopsided a match as many of you want to believe. We played conservatively, we played not to lose, we played for the counter. Towards the end of the match, we had several attacking forays into their end. If they had scored on us (in spite of my libations to the soccer gods), I'm certain that we would have attacked with much more gusto. As it is, our strategy was working.

For the Wednesday match, their guys are going to be more tired than our guys. We play in OUR House! We've beaten them three times this season, and tied them once. I like our chance.

Another thing that will play in our favor is that they are really obsessed and upset with the officiating. Worrying about fouls called and not called and what the ref thinks or how the offsides calls do or don't favor you really takes part of your focus out of the match. We saw this in our first victory over shittle this year, in our 5-0 thrashing of the SaltLickers, and in our first playoff match against the filth. We're going to see it Wednesday night too.

QUAKES 3 - 0 filth

GO QUAKES!!!!!

- Mark
    PS - I'm a veggie, so no chickens, and no fertile eggs. There will be no hatching of any kind, other than a solid Quakes Victory!! And my dog will bark when I get excited and yell at the TV.

bigdumbgod, davez and bsman repped this.
  3. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be plausable if no one saw Gordon playing as a shadow of himself on Sun evening. So Wondo goes up and Baca is in... Otherwise, I like it.

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

There is much truth to this. All of the teams that have pouted, whined, and complained after playing us have done even worse on the turnaround. Given LA's almost unparalleled litany of accountability-deflection, ref-blaming and self-pity after the past two games, there is a heavy price that will be exacted on them by the gods of karma...

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're up a goal. The most important thing to keep in mind when the game starts is that we need to be solid defensively. I agree that we need to try to establish the upper hand and get some momentum from the start, but not to the point of pressing things out of the back or getting careless and taking risks that sacrifice defense for offensive thrusts. It's extremely important that we don't carelessly or recklessly give away ANY free kicks around our box. We may give away a few anyway even if we're smart about it, but it should be a priority to not give the ref an opportunity to call fouls in that area. In other words, be solid but don't gamble or play overly physical defense (and I'm picturing Bernardez in my head as I say that).

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. no pain

no pain Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Went on the Galaxatives thread re: the game and some of Arena's comments. What a pompous ass!!
    Now I know why the rest of the team whines & acts like it's their birthright to win everything.
    What's sad to me is that I remember Donovan when he started with the Quakes. He made some great moves with the ball, very creative. Played hard. Now he whines like the rest of them.
    But I give Saunders some credit. He blames himself, don't see him blame the ref or anybody else not a Gal. It had to be hard for him to see the ball come through the wall. Tough play.

7. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Future Ultra?

Zico1981, don gagliardi and SJTillIDie repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The future is now! Get him in the stands tonight!