Post-match: Los Angeles Galaxy - San Jose Earthquakes Western Conf. Semi Game 1 (Sun., 11/4) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Let's not count our chickens before they hatch, folks. 90 more minutes . . .

2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I can understand Frank's tactics down in the ass end of California but when we get the filth up here we need to exploit their tired legs with speed, four matches in 12 days is bound to take a toll on you. We must press them from the opening whistle, make them run the field the entire game. Little Brusey screwed up when he left his starters in for the whole match, we have to punish him for that mistake on Wednesday.

3. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Other thing to note is the three Quakes players and only 1 Galaxy player crashing the net for the rebound. Rest of the Galaxy players are watching. If Saunders had blocked it, Sr. Gordon or Dawkins would've been there to pounce on the rebound.

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Dear Corrales,
    Thank you for your many years of devoted service, you can retire now with dignity.

soccerbone repped this.
  5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, pretty much. It's been open season on Lionheart most of the year. To his credit, Salazar was reasonably even handed. When he called the foul and free kick for us late that led to the game winner, you could see that he wasn't happy about it, but he had just given the filth a free kick for a much more questionable foul at our end, so he had to give us the foul and free kick.

I do think that the filth should have earned two or three yellow cards at least. Juninho could easily have been sent off, but whatever. WE WON!!!!!!

GOOOOOO QUAAAAAAAAKES!!!!!!!
    F#$% el-lay!!!

- Mark

6. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite

Not only did the call lead to the game winner, it also lead to the game Whiners!

bigdumbgod, markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, el-lay players were flagged at the end of the match. So we should be able to run them into the ground. A big part of the reason that we score a lot late in games is that we're just in better shape than our enemies. We wear them out, and when they begin to have trouble keeping pace, we score. I want to see Frank start Shea and Chavez. Their speed will wear the filth out quickly. And you're right. How stupid is Il Bruce to leave all of his starters in the match? We started making subs and he didn't counter at all. That shirt grab on Dawkins was inevitable. They were either going to foul us, or give up a goal or two. Dumb!

I'm glad Salazar didn't fall for most of whiny Narcissus's falling on the ground and crying about being fouled. What a tosser! And he's lost a step or two. He wasn't playing up to par last night.

Let's crush them on Wednesday!!!
    GO QUAKES!!!
    F#$% el-lay!!!!

- Mark

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LA being LA. At least Keane wasn't claiming that Muma got the call because of some Spanish connection. In fact, the players are being almost a little too complimentary of the ref. You might even accuse them of sucking up/brownnosing.

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It's like the sun rising - the poor postgame sportmanship from Quakes opponents. Besides all the whining about the foul that led to the free kick (come on, the story there is not the foul - the story is the colossal failure to prevent a goal on a free kick from 35-40 yards out), there was this one from Bruce:

Arena did take a jab at the Earthquakes in his postgame comments: “A little bit of a fresher team came at us hard," he said. "You saw what they looked like in the second half. They were the ones falling on the floor, taking players out with cramps and all. Maybe the pace wasn't to their liking."

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. I think this is Frank's plan. He learned from 2003 and 2005. Both times we went down to LA and played a little too open and came away with loses. In 2003, it took a game of the century to win it, but we went out with a wimper in 2005.

LA is a better team than earlier in the year when we beat them 3-2 in LA. If we had tried to press them and open up the game in LA, it could have been tough on the return leg (especially with Gordan being hurt).

The time to press them is in their third game in a week on a smaller field.

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More likely it was that our guys didn't like getting fouled from behind repeatedly.

No respect for il Bruce. Like his players and his fans, he thinks that he's entitled to win. We didn't take the Supporter's Shield by a good margin this season because we suck. We didn't lead the league in score because we're bad, or because we're lucky. That's just stupid.

I really, really want to crush those turds.

GO QUAKES!!!
    F#$% el-lay!!

- Mark

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not ready to say that the conservative strategy worked. The Quakes were lucky not to lose that game 2-0, and really fortunate to get the free kick goal. It's the playoffs - it sometimes comes down to luck. In 2005 it was a Herculez Gomez free kick that somehow made it's way through the wall, and that was the first goal of that series. In 2012, the tables are turned in terms of the luck factor.

13. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't worry Mark, i'll have some choice words for him on Wednesday as he comes thru the walkway.

14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It limited the number of opportunities LA had on goal. I wouldn't give the strategy full credit. However, as you pointed out, luck does come into play. You only need to look at the NY vs DC game where both goals were scored on defensive blunders. Ok, those may have just been poor play!

Still, luck is always a factor.

15. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words I'm clueless... I did not know of an away goals counting double rule... :oops:

16. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Usually in home and away playoff series if the aggregate is tied, the away goals is the tie breaker. The rules now at least give a bit of home field advantage with the extra time and penalty kicks in the home leg. I think MLS should extend the playoffs by a couple of weeks and do a 3 game series (home, away, home) because there is not much of an advantage to the higher seeded team.​

17. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Do I want to see more offensive in the first game? Yes. Am I surprised that is not the case? No.

We have several offensive recovering from injury: Gordon, Dawkins and Salinas. It is good to play them less in the first game and save them for the 2nd game at home. Corrales as a temporary LM option was OK. At least he was much more disciplined and didn't go too far to places he should not be to lose the shape of the team. Morrow was able to overlap a few times too.

I agree that it is pretty disappointing about Baca. I am not expecting him to put in the killer balls or score some golazos. His job is to pressure the opponents, cutting off passing lanes, fighting for the second ball, and making himself available to connect the passes. He is still doing all these duties but comparing to the effectiveness in earlier part of the season, he has faded considerably. Sometimes he is lost on the field and doesn't know what to do and where to go as things are happening. In comparison, Cronin has showed a lot of maturity, composure and improvement as the season goes on.

Don't forget that right before Keane's first close header opportunity in the early minutes, Wondo was also inches from scoring. While LA seemed to see more of the ball, I think we were dangerous in the early part of 2nd half and also right after Dawkins coming in.

Albany58 and markmcf8 repped this.
  18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Ask him if he wants some cheese with that whine!...lol

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Problem is that LA controlled the run of play for the most part in the last match at Buck Shaw, certainly in the 1st half, when it wasn't even close. Maybe the Quakes were not motivated enough or whatever and yes the 2nd half was better, but in the 4 matches against LA this year, I think LA outplayed the Quakes in all but one of them (the Stanford game).

20. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll add that to my stack of index cards

21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Which makes the prospect of not only never losing to them, but eliminating them from the playoffs this year all the more delicious!

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retiring after an injury sustained while giving his all fighting the Galaxy in enemy territory is pretty ********ing respectable.

Of course, I don't think he'll retire...he said he want's to play in the new stadium. 2 more years...:)

23. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, it will be in a testimonial. Having said that, I still think Ramiro has a little bit left in the tank. But I wouldn't want him at his current salary. I'd rather that money be used to give raises to players who have earned it this year.

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were much more dangerous than they for the first five minutes or so, then things evened out more. (Yes, the satan-worshipers had most of the possession and attacking play for the last fifteen minutes of the first half, and much of the second half.)

Agree that Croninja has gotten better and better as the season goes on.

Disagree that Corrales was good, or even, OK. We're a bit lucky that we didn't get torched because of Ramiro, but then we also had three killer defenders to cover for him.

Even so, the filth, the scum, the worst collection of bastards in the world, managed only two shots on goal all game, while OUR heroes!! had three.

GO QUAKES!!
    F#$% el-lay!!

- Mark

soccerbone repped this.
  25. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These teams have now played four games this year. Two in LA, two up here in the Bay. Three wins for the Quakes and one draw. The total aggregate score of those four matches: 10-8 in favor of San Jose. In three of the four matches, the Galaxy had a second half lead. In two of the three Quakes wins, San Jose did not take the lead in those matches until the 94th minute. In the one draw, the Quakes never had a lead. In the total 360 minutes + stoppage time, the Quakes have had a lead over the Galaxy for approximately half an hour, give or take a couple minutes.

I don't know what that all means for Wednesday. But it's interesting. The gap between these two teams is virtually non-existent. One team just simply has been more clutch than the other.

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.