Pre-match: Los Angeles Galaxy - San Jose Earthquakes Playoff Game 1 (Sunday, 11/4) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just looked on the Quakes single ticket page. There are still single tickets available for the November 7th match.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah singles are always hard for teams to offload. People generally like to buy in pairs or more for games. That said, I'm sure those singles will be gone before long.

4. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's the Gals.

Here we gooooooooooo

5. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitecaps showed NO interest in getting a 2nd goal. They wanted to win 1-0. LA had a better shot at getting 3 when it was 1-1 than Caps getting 2 at ANY point in the game.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so LA.

bring it, i prefer it be them. i seem to be the minority but i want to pound them and make them hurt.

7. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BEAT LA!!! into a pulp.

QuietType repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Sadly, there was a point where they had a good chance to get two but Miller's shot was deflected and then someone, I think Robson, fiddled with the ball forever in the box looking for the goal to open up like the heavens, and the opportunity closed up. It was right after that when LA scored the first goal. I think their best chance would have been to keep some speed in their lineup for counters. How could they only play Dane Richards for 10 minutes? The guy single-handedly took Houston out of the playoffs a few years ago while with NY. And why take Mattocks off?

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mattocks seemed to be hurting. But yeah, the Caps showed very little drive. You can't play for 3 minutes and then try to bunker. LA had so much possession, the score should have been higher.

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, at one point it was like 72 to 28 in possession. You don't see anything in the 20's very often. Come on, Vancouver, you can't win like that.

11. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he he he... like the Giants beating the Dodgers... delicious....

Goodsport repped this.
  12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Magee has been scoring a lot of goals lately -- maybe he's coming of (old) age like Gordo. A bit worrisome, since he's helped beat us too many times.

Home Depot was almost empty last night. With such short notice, Sunday probably won't be that full of a stadium either.

I wonder if the MLS will stop putting on these midweek 4th vs 5th games and subsequent playoff games.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't trust this matchup.........Shades of 05........

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well we can't be too confident because we have certainly seen our team come out cold on occasion. The Dallas game a month ago, for example. And just about any Portland game! But LA had so much possession last night and still couldn't get it together. Keane worked like a madman and couldn't finish. The few times little Judas got his ugly mug on the ball, he whiffed it. I kept saying "Wondo would have gotten that, but, oops, you're not Wondo!" Magee was the only player hustling apart from Keane. If not for that gift of a PK (and on the ref boards, they're arguing that it was a soft PK and that Petrescu missed an easy call for a PK for the Caps) we'd be welcoming Vancouver next Wednesday.

15. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We trounced them in that last game of 2005, hardly the same as our last game against them this season.

Maybe it will be an easier task to show some improvement over the last two games of this season then hold on to the domination we had in 2005.

16. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    This is gonna be the best series for this round. Hot tempers flaring, controversial decisions, goals, GoldenBalls, Steve Lenhart theatrics, Landy Cakes being Landy Cakes, Wondo being so Wondo in the goal area, dirty tackles by the bucket load, NoCal vs SoCal.....good stuff. Can't wait to tune in.

willykirk repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That whole tournament was fixed and planned out before hand especially after and the LAndy-LA ordeal. There was no way an AEG owned club was going to lose to San Jose as they were about to move the club. I don't trust anything about that team!

18. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything can and will happen with Ricardo Salazar referreeing.

QuietType and Beerking repped this.
  19. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does anybody have the bandwith to see which of the LA players played both Sunday v. Seattle and last night? I know they rested Franklin lat night.

I think speed will be the way to beat this LA team, but does anyone have any lineup predictions for us? I'd like to see us start with Lenny and Wondo up top, Dawkins, Baca, Cronin, Chavez midfield.
    Morrow, Herndandez, Berdardez, and Beita.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I thought so as well. When you're up 1-0 in the fourth minute you don't bunker for the remaining 86, you attack to clinch the deal.

So it's the filth, so what? We owned them in regular league play and we come into the Sunday match rested and healthy while they drag in on tired, sore legs and yellow cards.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    He's the wild card, we just have to bribe him more than AEG is paying him.

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If Opara is 100% i think he should start over Hernandez, just my 2 cents.

23. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KEYS to this game:

- Target their RB Jimenez and rookie CB Meyer. Those guys were clear weak spots last night that Vancouver exploited. We should be able to exploit them even more.
    - Get Lenny/Gordon to shade away from Omar... Omar shut Lenny down in the first half of our last game against the scum.
    - Don't concede free kicks around the area.
    - Watch for short corners... Vancouver didn't step on one and boom easy cross to Magee for the scum's first goal last night.
    - Our midfielders need to put in work and win the midfield battle. It's absolutely possible to win the midfield battle with the scum playing old tired legs Beckham and with them being on short rest. Cronin/Chavez/Baca need to run hard the full 90.
    - Can't have Morrow getting mismatched against Buddle on crosses he will get beaten in the air.
    - Don't try to copy Vancouver's strategy. Do what we have done all year and stick to the Goonies game plan. Short passes through the center of the field, work it to the wings, cross it to Lenny/Gordon who shoot or lay it off to Wondo.

darkstar10990 and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts too. But hopefully we exorcise those demons.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me Slimyzar isn't reffing our game...