Long live the Prinzess: the 2011 FIFA awards

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Micol, Oct 25, 2011.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sawa just left Japan, heading to the Ballon d'Or Gala in Zürich. :)

Let's hope what she's wearing at the airport is not the outfit she chose for the soirée. :D

Although I guess the knit peaked cap pulled down on eyes was just a way to try to confuse the fans at the airport (I guess that Sawa normally, outside matches and public events, has to go around in Japan quite disguised, to avoid endless queues of fans forming... :rolleyes:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fbz78VwxnC4

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The WPS has made a poll on their facebook and wambach is well ahead :confused:
    Didn't those voters watch the world cup :eek:

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL. Yeah they watched the WWC, and that's exactly why Wambach is well ahead off anybody else in the majority of U.S. voters minds. When you score the header that was heard all around the world, you must be the best player in that world too, right? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, any nation with a decent player at the WC level will vote for there own. Do you think Marta wouldn't also dominate a similar type of vote if it were to be conducted through a similar Brazilian point of view?

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Following the same reasonment, I wonder if there is any kinf of "continental" sense of belonging, that could help Sawa on her way to the award...
    After all, there is a much higher number of asian football federations than of north or south american football federations, isn't it? :p

(quite 2:00 am and I still can't sleep. Come on, it can't really be the tension for tomorrow's Ballon d'Or awarding, can it? :confused:)

5. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Might be Ballon d'Argent instead - it's the full moon. :p

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Let's get back to the "spirit" of this thread :D

Here's an anticipation of the sporty outfit Sawa chose for the Gala: on the left you can see a mock (although realistic) president of the FIFA shaking Sawa's hand and complimenting her; a mock (although realistic) Ballon d'Or prize can be spotted on the right, under Sawa's arm.
    Sawa's outfit did raise some eyebrows, but it the end it was deemed appropriate to the occasion... :D

[​IMG]

7. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Yellow and blue? She's dedicating it to Lotta? :confused:

8. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hopo Solo tries to be everywhere she can... :D

FIFA bragged about having most of the best players in the world attend the Gala, so I guess they invited as much top 10 as they could...

Who is the other girl in the pic? OL's Lara Dickenmann maybe?

10. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    There is a certain similarity, but no, it's not her.

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There is video now up on the FIFA site, showing the presenters of the Gala, conveniently a man and a woman, and both former players, Ruud Gullit and Kay Murray (in fact I had to google Kay Murray's name to discover she was indeed a player, having represented New Zealand: Wiki says that she played in the 1933-1937 span of time... :p I hope they meant 1993-1997, or she's secretely a vampire... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Kay).

If you want to give a look at the video, just notice how Ruud Gullit's lurking eyes nonchalantly hang over Kay Murray: you could say he plans something for her later... :p (We all know Gullit's reputation, don't we? :rolleyes:)

12. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sawa gets first question and it's like watching a movie in translation; I think she said several more words in Japanese than came out in English.

Marta goes second, and gets asked basically "Are you bored with this yet?", a question so stupid she laughs. She says "No", and a bit more besides, but the translator is left behind.

Wambach thanks everyone except her dog (or maybe she did and I was just too bored by then to notice), including Sawa for not helping her team reach its goal.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I noticed that: when she said "thanks" to Sawa for beating them in the final, she seemed to seriously mean it. :D

A Brasilian journalist asked Sasaki how Brasilian women's team can get better. I didn't follow the answer, but I'd basically say: get a program, starting with junior teams, guys! And play as a team, sometime! :cool:

edit: Marta's translator seems professionally very poor to me. Or is it Marta making it difficult for him?

14. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    That was it? Quite short! (another vote for the Portugese translator seeming a bit hesitant, not that I understand any Portugese at all, so can't offer opinion on factors)

Oh well. Marta gets my vote for 'most improved with the careful non-answer about my future plans'; Wambach gets the 'cautious Polly Anna' award (she's been personally trained by Julie Foudy, after all); Sawa is clearly the best dressed although I object to heels on principle. Glad to see Marta's dispensed with the vampire look. And it was amusing to be reminded, when everyone stood up to go, that Wambach is at least a head taller than everyone else up there, despite her sensible shoes.

So, prognosticators, make of that what you will.

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well they have to make space for what they think is the REAL show, id est the males' press conference (that I personally couldn't care less about... but that's how things go).

Sawa basically said she doesn't give a damn about dying down WPS and she'll keep playing in Japan... :D

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I missed it - and none of you mentioned outfits, headgear or anything. I'm disappointed in you people. Really.

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I really hope they have something up their sleeves (or some sleeves at all :p) for tonight's Gala, because press-conference outfits were quite underwhelming... :p

Marta was wearing a dark-orange blouse that actually hurt my eyes, Abby was as casual-dressed as you can be :D and Sawa seemed to be in the official NT suite, you know, with white blouse and black jacket + trousers.
    Her hair were well dressed though, give a look:

[​IMG]

Edit: oh, Messi is now sitting at the same place Sawa was sitting during the women's press-conference. Good sign? ^__^

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zing! :D

I missed it, too. But I've seen Abby photograph MUCH worse than the one that's up on the fifa site. Now I've got to figure out when the actual gala might be on (oh, math)--that's where the really fun clothes viewing (and sussing out of any dates) will be.

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, by the way: Sawa even managed to smile, from time to time! :D
    Previous pic could have been misleading about that...

[​IMG]

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gala starts at 1900 CET in 2 hours 20 minutes.

21. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    But not, it should be pointed out, anywhere near the 'your great aunt's troll friend from the north' (credit to Smulan)/'unconventional hottie who doesn't photograph well' (credit to kickinthehead)/'the Amish Women of FIFA' (credit to Nacional Tijuana) level of casualness that has marked the event in the past (credit to FIFA, who, oddly, didn't invite Birgit Prinz this year).

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The presser is now up on the fifa site for "on demand" viewing.

A certain Frenchman appears to have worn leather pants while Pia wore her customary hoodie.

eta: I was wrong, Pia's wearing a jacket sans hood.

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Tomorrow there will be a France Football special edition 32 pages with all the votes compiled interviews etc.. They are clever, you have to buy l'Equipe and France Football together for 3 Euros.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Or you have to sit on this thread waiting for interesting data to come out... :D

Seriously, if it'll cost 3 euros in France, how much will it be here in Italy? Will it even be available here tomorrow? :confused:

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I know I can find it London with no problems on the day. I guess you can find it in Roma and Milano.