Long live the Prinzess: the 2011 FIFA awards

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Micol, Oct 25, 2011.

1. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    If you want to be that picky - wel then one could say that PKs really dont count, etc. And you could say that goals in the play-off stage rounds are far more important than group stages where there are still a few weak teams.

I do think she is a great player, but I do not think she carried the Brazil team operationally - a team which perennialy suffers from team cohesion.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suddenly do remember one picture were Garefrekes didn't have a ponytail. That "fashion shoot" where most attention here was paid to a certain someone & her pink handbag... commences google searching... ah. yes. here we go...

[​IMG]

3. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Oh, thank you... I can stop googling. :p

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there may be more, um, treasures for you to unearth with continued googling

:D

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And that's exactly another "dimension" (as it's been said before on this thread) where Sawa beats Marta, at least this year: Sawa is exactly the kind of player that can tell her homegirls what to do and that can literally carry a nation to a WWC win, like only a great captain can do. I guess this is a feature that have to be considered for a world-class performance: the ability that Sawa showed in guiding and motivating her team-mates is part of the game, it's a talent deserving recognition.

But aside from that, come on: Sawa deployed a complete range of skills; defending, passing and giving tempo to all the midfield, technique and acrobatic skills in all kind of plays, perfect winning assists, scoring in all ways (headers, a deciding obstinate and über-technical goal in a WWC final match).
    In the heat of the moment she even gave an assist to Sweden in the semi-final. :p I guess, it's such an habit for her that she couldn't help. :D

And it's not like she played well during the WWC only. She guided Nadeshiko Japan through a brilliant London 2012 qualifier tournament in september and, although I sure know Nadeshiko L-league is no WPS, her club, INAC Kobe Leonessa, is utterly dominating the league, with three matches to go.
    I guess that, regarding playing with clubs, she just can't do better than this. :p

I mean: that's not a career prize; it's about 2011 season, and I guess this year no other player did better than Sawa. Neither Marta did. In a career prize Marta would win, in a 2011 season prize she wouldn't.

And let's consider another "dimension". Someone on this thread mentioned sportsmanship and integrity. Well, I guess there are few international football stars who are more correct, kind and fair than Sawa: in the end she's the captain of the team who also won the fair-play award at WWC.
    Look, I am not accusing anyone of being unsportsmanlike: I am just saying Sawa is a champion in this area too.

So, in my opinion, let's just talk about the kimono: 1st prize HAS to be granted.
    Kimono is traditional, I am not sure if it's considered ok for a high profile occasion outside Japan, but I would find it classy too anyway...

6. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Nice pic but how old is she?

7. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    OK, I tried hard to resist, but... :eek:

Bambi Awards.

[​IMG]

8. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Huh ? I disagree.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well not exactly an assist, ok, but, if I remember well, Sweden's goal originated from a rare case of reckless back pass from Sawa. She was so aware that she had some part of guilt in that goal, that, at half-time, in the locker room, she promised to her team-mates that she would have scored in second half, so she could have been forgiven for that mistake.

And she did.

Sawa. :rolleyes:

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are they supposed to look bad? I have seen way worse floating around the women's threads. There's a recent pic of Wambach somewhere around here, that makes the German girls Bambi awards outfits seem rather classy.

At the FIFA gala's they always run Black-Tie events. Any girl hoping for trousers will have to break with serious tradition and Etiquette. So if you see anything more casual than a cocktail dress on a woman in the front row, it will be a first.

11. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Including of Germany. :D
    The point of the picture was Garefrekes with her hair NOT in a ponytail - which is a pretty rare sight.

12. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh, OK my mistake, just ignore what I said and and carry on :eek:

13. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    What fun it could be to have an all-national costume FIFA event. Sawa looks very classy in the kimono; joining her on the stage we can have Garefrekes in a dirndl, and Schelin in Swedish folkdräkt. Should Wambach make it up onto that stage instead, I suggest that she skip the tux or tails (too British) and go instead for the 1920s-style gangster zoot suit, with tommy gun.

Too bad they don't actually hold the awards on Halloween. But I guess the scenario above would come close enough.

14. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    What an inspired idea!

Here comes Marta:

[​IMG]

15. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    As these wags observed (third picture down), "You all know that when it comes to walking in 6-inch heels with a feather in your ass, Brazil is your girl.”

Here's something like what Schelin would wear (claims to be representative of Västergötland, where she grew up).

16. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    But do they do that outfit in black/leather? :rolleyes:

17. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Whoops, good point Jenson. I failed to read the text underneath the illustration at that link, which specifies that this is a 'party dress for poison women' from that region, which, as far as I know, Schelin is not. Probably the tailor who makes these could be convinced to whip up a version in black leather, as long as he could be assured that the woman for whom it was intended is non-toxic, so as not to be historically inaccurate.

I suppose, if anyone could carry off a black leather folkdräkt, Schelin could, as long as it wasn't too s&m-y. Remember when she showed up to an awards ceremony in a pirate costume?

[result]The word 'gift' in Swedish means both 'poison' and 'married'. I suppose it's possible that the illustrator meant the former not the latter...[/result]

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By the way, didn't anyone see the pictures they put on the profiles of the short-listed players on the FIFA official site? They are hilarious! :D

Just a few players (Sawa between them) have decent pics, the other ones... well, not so much.

And Miyama got two pics! With a subtle subliminal message, she's on her profile's pic, and... on Garefrekes' profile's pic! Look:

[​IMG]

You can recognize her by the number 8 on the shorts. So FIFA is not neutral: they put an hidden Miyama on Garafrekes' profile. They didn't do anything of the kind for any other player; they're secretely saying: "Vote for Miyama!" :rolleyes:

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I just found France Football at Frankfurt Hauptbanhof and here is the regulations :

Article 3 : Trophies are attributed on the criteria of performance on the pitch, general behaviour in the sporting context and outside of it. But this regulation is only valid for the FIFA ballon d'or and men coach of the year. Quid of the rules for the women's trophies :confused: I am gonna email FRance Football.

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Homare Sawa's club, INAC Kobe Leonessa, just won the Japanese women league (Nadeshiko League, or L-League), a turn in advance.

Now, we all know this probably isn't enough to grant Sawa the Player of the Year title. The pics of the post-match party, though, could suggest a new kind of outfit for the Ballon d'Or Gala. What do you think about THAT? :D

[​IMG]

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They replied to me rules are the same for men and women :

Trophies are attributed on the criteria of performance on the pitch, general behaviour in the sporting context and outside of it.

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What about having Homare Sawa attend the Ballon d'Or gala wearing this oufit? :p

[​IMG]

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Press conference at France Football headquarters in Boulogne-Billancourt on Monday will reveal the 3 nominees in each category.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Top 3 to be nominated tomorrow: Sawa can't fail to be at least between them, but I am thrilled anyway...
    Marta will be there too, as dreaded by many of us?
    How I'd wish there was a place for Miyama... :p

25. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if Garefrekes was just a tiny bit relieved... :cool:

Now in search of evening dresses:
    Marta
    Homare Sawa
    Abby Wambach

And the coach of the year will be chosen from among these three:
    Bruno Bini
    Norio Sasaki
    Pia Sundhage