Long live the Prinzess: the 2011 FIFA awards

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Micol, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Of course. But there was no risk it was going to be her, because "no one" knows her. :p It's actually a surprise that Prinz is not on the list at all, so maybe something has in fact changed.

2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lauren Cheney really came of age in Germany, demonstrating the potential dangers her full offensive capabilities can have. Problem is though it was only during that month long period where Cheney looked relevant to any possible selection in FIFA's annual showpiece award gala.

I personally think Heather O'Reilly was the best U.S. player all year, but Wambach is a genuine figure head on the women's side of the sport. It's good to finally see U.S. fans move on past Hamm's mob and begin to recognise other talented girls in their program, but between a world class GK who doesn't play, a one dimensional rookie who can only play from the bench, and a not so mobile forward with the finesse of a angry Rhino, I just don't see a legitimate world POY.

I also thought it was funny that from all the quality German players who would have loved the opportunity to dress up for a photo op, the selection committee went and chose the one German player probably more at home in a Library than Prinz. I can imagine Garefrekes greeting her nomination to strut the runway with a annoyed and mumbled "for f*cks sake" :D

3. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    You've never seen Wambach's "flopping dying fish" act? OK, she's not Bachmann, but she dives dramatically (and frequently) for a "fair player". Aside from her apparent lack of a pain threshold and her poor fashion choices, I thought that diving was what she was famous for?

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Another non-vote for Laudehr from me. Garefrekes is about the only German player I would let get close to that list this year. Shocked to be saying that (I thought for a long time that she was overrated), and my opinion may be skewed by the fact that I've seen more of Frankfurt than any other club team, but Germany is going to have a hard time replacing her. Sweden might have a chance tomorrow :cool:.

5. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Bompastor should definitely win something for her head-clutching World Cup performance against the Chocolate Teapot, a.k.a. Josefine Öqvist. (On the other hand, perhaps I should thank her for taking Öqvist out of the first couple of matches in the Olympics?)

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tangent

I will say I've never seen anyone take staples to the head on the sidelines with as little reaction as Abby has one two different occasions (only one of which I can find on youtube). Please note I'm not arguing your point, just noting an interesting observation of my own.

/tangent

Batfink, we're in agreement about O'Reilly. I am long on record as believing HAO gets overlooked and under-appreciated for her game. Watch out for the Angry Chicken.

7. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that. But maybe she has the Prinz Problem, as in "No one can push me off my feet because I'm so big and strong, so occasionally I have to demonstrate to the ref that I've really been fouled"? :cool:

8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I mention Sundhage and her 2008 run because very little had changed from that teams level of performance to the side we saw three years later in Germany. For the worlds #1 team they have looked like anything but the best, and far too often the team has survived by the skin of it's teeth for Sundhage to be winning kudos for her supposedly superior coaching.

She's constantly being treated like she's been working with a third rate team for three years, and that her finding ways to win with the U.S. should be seen as brilliant coaching :confused:. Prominent and respected figures like Hope Powell and Silvia Neid got ridiculed for having sides that play bad football, even when that poor style got decent results. Why should the worlds #1 be held to lesser standards?

Like Germany and Brazil before them, Sasaki with Japan brought something new to the women's game, then demonstrated that it can be used on the biggest of stages to win too. Unlike her peers, in all her time with the U.S. Sundhage hasn't pushed the game forward at all, even though she's been working within one of the worlds two most developed women's programs.

With substantially way less to work with, you get Sasaki's Japanese side being fantastic. Even serial f*ck ups like France under Bini produced a far better stylistically pleasing side than Sundhage's USWNT. In every game except the final USA were ordinary at best.

9. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That's a funny way of spelling bullshit.

10. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yep. Here you can mouth off about players and teams and vent, etc. and no one gets their panties in a wad. Women's International tends to be for those who prefer serious discussion.

Like I can say this in here:

I'm actually hoping Marta wins it this year. Just so her fans can trot out their usual 'she deserved it, you're just a hater' arguments which undoubtedly will reek of complete and utter ********ING bullshit. Just like they did in 2009. Not that I'm bitter.

But I wouldn't say it upstairs.

11. reallywhy

reallywhy New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm a little frightened to even post this reading these previous posts but...

My opinion is that Marta should win

She scored 4 goals in the WC playing 2 games less than Wambach or Sawa (I know Sawa scored 5)
    She scored 5 goals in 3 games literally carrying her team to the finals in the WPS
    The WNYFlash won the regular season title because of her
    The WNYFlash won the championship
    Her level of play involves all aspects, including goal scoring, speed, making plays (always unselfish with the ball), and aiding in defending as needed
    And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't she also tie with Prinz as the top goal scorer in WWC at 14 goals total with her 4 this year?

So, I'm open to the wrath now as I see that no one seems to agree with seeing her win a 6th time so...let me have it ;)

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    (sorta copy and paste from the Nadeshiko Japan thread)

Ok, I get it. ^__^

Since it seems here I can talk about dresses and stuff (and Garefrekes in a night dress has been already mentioned), can I ask if you think that Homare Sawa will go to the Ballon d'Or Gala to pick up her deserved 1st prize dressed in a kimono, like she did at last Japan's Emperor's party? (See pics below)

You'll notice I don't even discuss the fact she's gonna win or what someone here above said about Marta deserving a 6th POTY prize... :rolleyes:

She'll win people, so let's get serious and discuss about how she will DRESS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    For me it's between Marta and Sawa. I know people are programmed to hate Marta, but despite not being able to win the BIG one (some thing the US hasn't done either in a while) and not being able to tell her homegirls to have a damn seat and stop with the stunts and shows, she produces.

Did people hate Mia Hamm this much when she was dominating? I missed the gist of that whole era.

14. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    You got the idea immediately! :p

I'd love to see her in a kimono. It might give the whole affair some more class too.

(And she can't not be among the top 3, Marta or no Marta, so we should see the kimono in any case. :))

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think Marta gets a fait bit of flak due to her swimming pool championship awards despite her being sensational. I certainly think Brazil failing in the quarter final at the WC means Marta won't win it. She might finish 2nd though.

16. welshfan

welshfan Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which has become really needed considering the evolution year after year.

Remember 2005, when Birgit was at her peak...:D
    [​IMG]

17. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Ha ha. Someone else did. I stole it, is what I meant. ;)

18. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Ah, the German scarf. It dresses up any outfit.

:rolleyes:

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christine Sinclair wants to have a word with you down this dark alley....

MOOKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're back!!! Yay!

I don't think Marta should have won in 2009 and I think that win hurts credibility for this year in ways it might not should (but is understandable). And I don't think she should win this year. I am not a Marta hater -- she is really, really, really good and were I putting a team together (and was willing to deal w/ her agent's negotiating game of chicken) I'd sign her. But this year is Sawa's year.

20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Sawa projects a certain sophistication and elegance in that second pic. Love it.

Hah! The same thing came to my mind and to answer your question: no.....

I don't have a problem with Marta in the top 3 but it's definitely Sawa for the win.

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't get this :(. I don't want to see Marta near the award this year, but not because of misleading accusations about her ability to stay on her feet. I mean when did Marta ever need resort to blatant diving or cheating to win? Oh yeah a certain game versus the oh so honest and sweet USA :rolleyes:

Marta's booed as a cheat in a game in which her team mate does a stupid thing, rubbish! I personally thought its was all bullsh*t. The WWC crowd got on her back for things she couldn't control, but she was still a better watch than most of the players she was up against this year.

You can't ever make up for 09's Grings snub, but if she finally loses this year it should be because she was out performed by quality player, and not because of silly accusations thrown her way after one game, or random players obtaining new found popularity.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's wearing her hair down so she must be dressed up ;)

Have we ever seen a pic of Garefrekes w/o hair in ponytail?

23. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Yes, in some military uniform :D.

24. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Wait, was she ever a sports soldier? I think not. :confused:

I remember her combing her golden hair in the WWC 2007 documentation, "Die besten Frauen der Welt", and the rest of the team were watching her with their mouths open because it was such a rare sight. :D

25. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Do bus drivers have uniforms? Or accountants? I really don't want to have to surf the internet for pictures of Garefrekes :eek:. Maybe I'm thinking of the Bambi award get-up? *shiver*