London 2012: Men's Olympic Football Tournament [R for ALL results]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by puertorricane, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who wins olympic gold in football

1. Brasil

30 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Great Britain

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Egypt

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Mexico

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  5. Spain

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Switzerland

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. Uruguay

8 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Japan

10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. Korea Republic

9 vote(s)
    7.2%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You are right,:thumbsup: :
    Zamorano in Italy
    Salas in Argentina (at the time)
    Estay in Mexico
    Vega in USA (whom didn`t play at the 1999 CA)

Whatever,.... this thread is not about Chile

2. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    considering mexico is not in comebol and that's what we are debating as to how they would do if they had to qualify through comebol then that's all we can do ifs ifs and ifs

but if you ask the so call experts that are netural outside of mexico and comebol i guaranteed you that the general sentiment would be that mexico will have it a lot harder to qualify and would miss some tournaments because of it

[]__[]

3. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    You are beyond pathetic if you think people are going to buy that excuse. So 14 or 15 players from the 98 world cup played in the 99 Copa America including your 2 stars (Zamorano and Salas) and you still are going to claim it wasn´t the best team? Not even US spazzos are that delusional.

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I don`t pretend you to buy anything. In fact, I don`t really care if you want to believe it or not.

Fact is, that most of our best players back then, weren`t considered because Acosta, our coach knew that our team, was becoming extremely old, where many players were close to their retirements and probably not going to keep on playing in the next WC qualifiers, and it was time to start preparing and giving play-time to those who would constitute future line ups, as the Conmebol qualifiers for the next WC were pretty close, and to Chile and most South American countries, these were lots much more important than whatever could be achieved in Copa America.

So Chile, the same as others, threw away another good opportunity to win the CA, reasons that together with some bad results in the Qualifiers, finally meant our succesful 1998 coach, Nelson Acosta, his job as NT coach . All who came afterwards, for some time, couldn`t fix our drama, and we finally ended last in those qualifiers, by very far from the rest of the teams. Our only great achievement in those qualifiers, was that we beat Brazil for our first time in Conmebol qualifiers, by 3-0 at home.
    Yes, but that is another story (and again off-topic, :p )

5. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile sucks

/Thread

LGRod repped this.
  6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well if that is so, then you should worry more about your NT, since till now we still have had better achievements than your team, where it really matters : the FIFA Word Cup

And if team "A " has been better than team "B", where team "A" sucks, then team "B" should be .......... (you figure that one out)
    :D

7. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes

The year was 1962..

LGRod and Club Leon repped this.
  8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hey here are some FIFA WC records, where your NT appears in many of them, and our NT bearly appears, btw. (And it's not just 1962) :
    I think , it's better for you to see them for yourself, as posting each and every individual achievement here could be regarded as extremely rude, on how long the list regarding your NT can get to be (specially those considered as bad by most).
    Here is the link :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_records

(have fun)
    :p

9. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what i get from that link you posted, Chile's wc record is as unimpressive as Mexico's

If that 3rd places finish in 62 really gets your dick hard than continue boosting about it as if your team was some powerhouse

But in reality chiles and mexicos records are equally meh

But unlike chile, we do have one of these lil things

[​IMG]

Pretty neat huh?

And since this thread is about the olympics

chile sucks

/thread

LGRod, Club Leon and Rickdog repped this.
  10. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Those better players didn´t exist. Chile went with it´s A team to that Copa America whether you deny it or not. It´s not my problem those players ended up sucking in the o2 qualifiers.

11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I`m not going to continue arguing with you as this thing is getting repetitive, but as I already told you, most of our best players were close to their retirement from the NT and newer players needed that to get international experience on them, therefore started getting it in the 1999 CA.

12. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    But.....that's a given.

In South America, only Brazil and Argentina are essentially guaranteed to qualify. Throwing Mexico into the equation isn't going to change things.

Mexico, as a team, isn't necessarily that much better or worse than Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay or Peru even though the latter two have been having issues lately.

I also agree that Mexico's Copa America performances aren't necessarily an accurate gauge for how they would perform in CONMEBOL Qualifiers but at least it's something tangible. We have data on our side if we wanted to argue that we could qualify more often than not whereas your argument is tied to opinion and has no real data to back it up.

This is all, of course, pointless since we will never see Mexico qualify out of CONMEBOL and the closest we will get will be Copa America or the supposed Copa America in 2016 that will be played in the US with a bunch of CONCACAF sides sprinkled in.

Rickdog and BocaFan repped this.
  13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Go away dumbass. And stop embarrassing people from Puerto Rico.

14. diegolin89

diegolin89 Member+

Jul 13, 2008
    Chile has two WC wins over a 50 year period, one of them against the almighty Honduras, please do not talk about achievements son! I think you should worry more about your NT, after all, you're discussing this in a thread of a competition where Chile is not involved.

15. diegolin89

diegolin89 Member+

Jul 13, 2008
    You started off this discussion by that completely idiotic post, in response to this fact:

I believe 5 out of 8 CA in the top 3 is "doing pretty well in them".

And you conveniently listed the only CA where Mexico fielded a C team minus 8 players that were suspended just days before the competition started.

16. diegolin89

diegolin89 Member+

Jul 13, 2008
    Who cares about an irrelevant NT like Chile, seriously? Why do you continue on arguing about how your NT has never been good at all? We believe you.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Ok. Viewpoints exchanged.

This tournament ended in August.