Loan opportunities for Clint Dempsey?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Mario Balotelli, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested to see where Clint will end up playing. Meulensteen has had Fulham playing a 433 with Berbatov at striker (Taarabt last week... I love Adel Taarabt but I digress...) with Kacaniklic/Richardson and Dejagah on the wings. I imagine Meulensteen will try to get Clint and Berbatov in the team at once... maybe switch to a 4231 or even play with two strikers? I wonder if he'll be available for the game on the 26th.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Doesn't Clint have to wait until the january transfer window officially opens?

Chance repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I think so which I find totally weird. But I guess it's because he was with Spurs in August and Sounders in September. Isn't it kinda against the rules to have 1 player at 3 clubs in 1 calendar year or within 1 season?

4. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Pretty sure the loan window is closed right now and reopens on Jan 1.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just can't imagine seattle would let clint stay at fulham through their preseason (not sure when that is, btw). he did pretty poorly for them last season, albeit injured, and they sank a lot of money into him. especially with ej gone, they'll need all the clint they can get.

i'd think he stays the 2 months, has a week or two off and then joins up with the sounders. with the one loan caveat in his contract, it certainly seems like this is clint's last year to chase the very top level. seems he's happy to go to the WC and see out his days making bank in seattle. did t-ham poison him on the risks of chasing (sporting) success? and with pool tearing it up, one can only imagine how he would've fit alongside suarez and co.

6. RedGuerrUltra

RedGuerrUltra Member

Oct 3, 2013
  7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I am thinking a 4-3-1-2 with those top three interchanging.

Barbitov can be a mercurial striker, but he is almost always doing two things very well: 1. holding the ball, 2. passing with creativity. Since he seems to cry every time the ball is lost by a teammate, maybe he can switch in that top 3 and move around more.

I'm pretty excited about this move. I am hoping everyone comes to their senses and seattle sell him back to the whites for 2 more years. He was terrible in seattle.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #259 ielag, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    MLS/Seattle would probably get around half of the $9 million transfer fee they paid for Dempsey if they tried to sell him back now.

9. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What # will he be wearing?

EDIT: Just saw a post on a message board that said he will be wearing #32.

10. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. For years I was a fan of any team that had an American. I dumped PSV the exact second that DMB left, picked up and dropped Rangers for each of their many Americans, stopped caring about Preston after Eddie Lewis, et cetera. When Clint left Craven Cottage, though, I found that my loyalty didn't move with him. I honestly tried to like Spurs, but couldn't do it. Can't wait to see him back on my favorite team.

Side note, I've been telling people for weeks that if Fulham can keep playing the way they are, they'll be fine. They are creating chances and possessing the ball; they just lack the scoring. Here's hoping that his time in Seattle was an adaption thing and not him being past it.

Like I said years ago before one of his first sub appearances when his club was down a goal, the stage is set, son. Time to shine.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Seattle's choice. MLS paid the fee, remember, not Seattle. Clint has to go through The Don.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham really need to bring back Michael Jackson on loan... he seemed to be their real good luck charm...

13. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but is he already training with them now? They have a league game on January 1st and the FA Cup on January 4th. Looking at Landon's last Everton stint, he missed a league game on January 1st and played on January 4th. I don't know if he didn't play right away because he wasn't eligible or because he didn't have any time training.

14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    If i remember rightly, a transfer has to be registered by 5pm or so the day before a game so he won't be able to play until the FA Cup game.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...-league-seattle-sounders-major-league-soccer/

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

17. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    So are we starting a new thread or just changing this one's title? I'm partial to:
    Fulham Me Twice, Won't Get Fooled Again: Dempsey's Return

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good to me. Fire it up.

19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator