Liverpool vs Wigan - EPL - Nov 17 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Nov 12, 2012.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    One of the comms stated during the match, that Lucas could be playing on Thursday.

2. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That would be a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad idea.

3. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    You're wrong, the announcer is right. Ever since the diving remarks, Suarez is barely spending any time on the ground - and it's been terrific watching him. He's a much better player now.
    Great game Suarez, Sterling and Enrique - wow for Enrique!

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  4. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Luis "Never Going to Score 20+ Goals in a Season" Suarez. I didn't think he could do it. He's working his tail off and finding himself in the right place, which isn't unusual. I thought his weakness was being a "traditional" number nine who can fire in off of one touch when the ball is played to his feet. Well both of his goals tonight showed he's capable of that.

Glad he's surprising me. Let's hope he keeps scoring and doesn't do anything resulting in a multi-month suspension....

5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    2 assists, a goal and at least one MOTM performance in his last 3 games. The man is on fire, its unfortunate that he and Suarez couldn't keep this form up last season but on the upside this is truly a brand new Liverpool with bags and bags of potential.

Its a pity that documentary is over as I'd love to see what Rodgers has said in the last 2 half time team talks to motivate the lads as its clearly working wonders.

Obviously congrats to Suarez, there was a few of us last season who were convinced he could translate his Ajax and national team scoring into the Prem. Sterling too, had another great game and that assist was all intelligence rather than pace. I can see him matching Stevie's England record and I believe that his 'ceiling' is just as high as Suso's.

LOL Carra got another 100% pass completion when he came on, he's now got the best pass completion record of the entire squad this season, if only he was 21 instead of a past it dinosaur some of you would be creaming your pants at the idea of him playing :p

6. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I guess we all see what we want to see.

usscouse repped this.
  7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We can also see what we want, I suppose but I just see and hear hypocrisy where Suarez and diving are concerned. He was fouled but yellow-carded for diving against Sunderland, fouled and denied a penalty against Man United, pole-axed and denied a penalty against Norwich. When he actually dived in that Stoke match the hysterical focus was on that incident rather than on the so blatant and malicious stamp by Huth earlier in the match. I also think he's getting less clattered into. Anyone claim anything more can fcuk off; in fact the Man United due of Young and Wellbeck have been guiltier of more blatant deceit.

Oh, and the announcers are also desperately trying to work out how he is on top of the scoring charts if he is not a goal-scorer as they have mostly been claiming, and of course we are being told that without his goals we would be relegation fodder. Make up your mind!
    More worrying are the retaliatory kicks and stamps that are creeping into his game.

8. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a couple of great runs and passes aside - it still scares me that Jose is seeing so much of the ball in the offensive end. it is going to take some getting used to. nice to see him so rejuvenated all 0f a sudden.

Not much to say about Luis - he's in the zone. As LB said, "I just can't get enough."

Happy to see Pepe back w/ the ball at his feet.

9. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Pepe looked rejuvenated. Maybe that spell on the bench was just what he needed.

10. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone needs to take a break now and again to recharge the batteries. Wish Luis would have been pulled a little earlier to give his legs a rest.

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy that can't finish?

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No he can't; he's as wasteful as they come. And if it wasn't for his goals, Liverpool would be in the bottom three :)

13. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Andre Wisdom deserves some serious praise. He hasn't really done anything truly spectacular besides become a regular PL player overnight. Had he not done that Glen would not be playing at LB (where he is significantly more effective) and Enrique would be playing whatever you want to call his role. Glen and Enrique together on the same side creates a pretty mean attacking/defense combo based on the situation.

So cheers to the teenager for effectively being effective!

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And we're paying piddle in wages-- a bug-bear of mine as the correlation between players' worth (and on-field contribution) and what they earn has diverged alarmingly at Anfield-- and next to zilch in transfer fees. It's taken some time but the work by Benitez, MacParland, Segura and Borrell is bearing fruit.

15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You make it sound like he was being punished, not injured.

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not with composure like this.

[​IMG]

el-capitano and ForeverRed repped this.
  17. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe he should give lessons on tricks and close control to Downing. :laugh:

18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Enrique's performance was reminiscent of Luis Garcia's - 88 minutes of nothing but poorly timed flicks and misplaced passes, with 4-5 minutes of play that produced something tangible - in this case 2 goals. Glad he has shown well in the last two games - but I'm not counting on him continuing this vein - but would be happy to have him prove me wrong.

Henderson was lively today. His best performance in a while - following what was a good performance for the u-21's mid-week.

The results on the weekend make us upwardly mobile, and with a favorable part of the schedule coming upon us, looking forward to us having the chance to put a nice little ten game run together.

19. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Poor for 88 minutes." I don't agree with that.

and bonus Raheem

usscouse repped this.
  20. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008

Seriously!!!

If its filming is not disruptive to the players/traiing sessions (which it shouldn't as it doesn't need to shoot 24/7 (pun intended for those that know who the maker of the show is) then why not keep it rolling all year round?

How incredible would it be if say in 2005 we had such a documentary AND one of the episodes was the CL final and what went on in the dressing room at the time.

Sh1t man, now that I think of it it's a shame they don't document this stuff more often.

21. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was late watching, and so am late posting, but man, what a fun second half. I'm not counting on Enrique continuing his current form--there's no real reason to think that he's been suddenly transformed from the player he was for the last 15 months, the place where LFC attacks go to die--but he produced a brilliant assist and a heads-up goal, and in that one game did more than Downing has done from the same position in a season-plus. And Suarez is simply a magician.

22. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For the first half of last season he was actually quite good, I think what hampered him is that he and Downing had no working relationship at all on that left hand side with both players doing their own thing. Ironically I'd quite like to see them play/experiment this season but with Downing as the LB and Enrique continued as the more advanced player

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The Boss on his change:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-explains-tactical-change

24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Just when I'm thinking that you're starting to understand the game of football.....!!!

liverbird repped this.
  25. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I must say this new tactical change has unleashed the beast in Enrique. Quite suddenly, he manages to get into the opposition's penalty box in dangerous positions to score. When BR said he needed another player besides Suarez to score goals who knew it would be Enrique to do it. BR has really impressed upon me that if it's not working, then maybe there's another, better way to do it. Finally, a manager who's not bloody-minded about tactics and pet players.

Let's hope this is a start of finally figuring out how get 3pts consistently from the bottom half of the table.