Liverpool vs Wigan - EPL - Nov 17 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He knows it so why bother I guess? He's arguably the best player in the PL so far this season and won't get any of the plaudits or the credit he deserves.

2. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FT. 3-0

Brace from Suarez, a third from Enrique.
    MOTM: Jose Enrique.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We finally beat Wigan. It might sound stupid (nope, it definitely sounds stupid) but it's nice to finally get that monkey off our back.

Chelsea lose and so do Everton.

4. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's more like it! Nice to see them punish the opposition for a mistake. Suarez is a genius, it's a pity he can't finish. :p

Welcome back Jose Enrique. Two excellent matches in a row.

Welcome back Pepe.

Hopefully this is a momentum builder.

5. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Enrique has thought he was Messi for some time now. Today, he played like him.

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I only caught the second half, so I saw a good game I thought. :D

Enrique was showing Downing how to play left wing, didn't shirk his defensive duties either. Some of his passing today was ridiculous, in a good way. ;)

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. Enrique made a beautiful penetrating run on the second goal which he's done often this season but has gotten a disproportionate amount of crap. Solid win!

8. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not a complete game but certainly a complete second half with goals too. Who would've guessed?
    (actually, while watching the Arsenal game I thought we would win 3-0 with a Suarez hat trick)

9. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What a 2nd half from Enriqinho! Great to see the team clicking like this. Let's do this in the next match too.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Flippin' 'eck. Rodgers listened to me and sorted it out ;)

Finally the bogey team slain. That's more like a Liverpool side. A clean sheet, goals and 3 points. Enrique (attack that box) was a new man today, so was Henderson (he still needs to sort out his shooting). Suarez and Sterling were completely transformed in the second half and are, in the lingo of my pupils, developing some sick understanding.

Onwards and upwards.

11. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Great second half display. We needed the 3 pts and we got them. Our front 3 of Suarez, Sterling and Enrique tore Wigan apart with their movement and interplay. Great to see. Suarez continuing to excel and he is building a good understanding with Sterling which could prove fruitful for us.

Shame about Suso getting a knock, but he should be back soon. Reina IS back, as is Skrtel and Johnson and Lucas is back training again. So we should have a bit more strength in depth for the next couple of games.

This win should give us a boost from now on, I feel that after the Chelsea game we have turned a corner for our season and we should start winning more often. Now only 2 pts behind Spurs with a superior goal difference! We still have to play the 3 bottom clubs so as we head towards half-way point in the League, I expect us to climb the table. If we keep winning the table will take care of itself.

12. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reina does a great job helping us keep possession. He's so confident with the ball at his feet.

13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's hope we keep the winning momentum because playing the bottom three has been our bane since Benitez's days, ultimately undoing any previous, morale-rousing wins.

14. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really enjoyed that game, managed to get a ticket on The Kop which was great as usual. Can't get over that first half, just terrible and then after a rocket up the arse at half time we come out and Sterling, well, it was like someone had put new batteries in him. What a great second half. I took two Americans to the game from work, their first game ever and they came away as converts.

Love seeing Sterling and Suarez on form and enjoying their game.

15. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    Man, what an offensive beast Enrique is turning out to be. I'm almost more excited about him than Suarez!

YOU GO GURL! :laugh:

16. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    My favorite thing was the announcer saying over and over that he's impressed that Suarez seems the have "really cut out the diving." Might I suggest a different hypothesis? This guy actually watched him play and unknowingly discovered that his "reputation" is mostly media hyperbole.

What can be said about Enrique? Two games In a row with blah first halves and then he comes out in the second halves looking like Leo messi. He needs to lend some if his moxie and confidence to Henderson. Skrtel and agger stout in defense. Sterling continues to improve, a player that you just love watching play.

Suarez is good.

ScholesyLFC, usscouse and liverbird repped this.
  17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was a very good job of both winning and playing pretty football. Credit is due, some brilliant selections and direction by BR.

Enrique and Sterling were both brilliant and I just can't get enough Luis Suarez. He could have had 6 with just a little luck.

Everyone else were merely great.

ScholesyLFC and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  18. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone notice how we actually kept a clean sheet this time? Sooo glad Pepe's back... Brad Jones must rub his gloves with butter before every match.

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    There's only one Jose Enrique!
    I felt excited when I saw the line up. Sterling atop of Wisdom and Jose over Johno. Great positioning and it worked out perfectly. (Discounting the first 45 minutes)
    Jose was involved with 90% of attacking today with our lobsided plan that drew their defence out of shape and left Sterling alone across the sod at times.
    Our third goal came from a bad non-call but today we got a few breaks and more 50-50 balls than we usually get. We got the throw but we still had to work for the goal and it was nice to see Jose in there for his first goal at Liverpool. I said couple of weeks back that Jose was still coming off that injury.
    What's this talk about "Messi" Messi on steroids maybe.
    Manure scored against us from a bad throw in call.
    I thought that Luis took an ankle knock (81st minute) when he went for that last ball from Jose, the one he put into the left side net. No histonics but you could see that it hurt. That may be why he was pull with 3 minutes left.

Anyway guys, it was good to see the "second half team" show up again and to see the 3 goals. Would have liked to see Luis get a 3rd ..but!!!

We're still in 11th spot but one number I'm really happy about is that +1 in the GD column.

LiverpoolFanatic and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well rid, I would now say...!

el-capitano and poopoobigelow repped this.
  21. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many posts when we win.

el-capitano repped this.
  22. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think we've seen the last of Stewart Downing in the league for us this year. Enrique was a monster. In fact, everybody was a monster, and I was very pleased with Henderson's performance. He sure is making a case for more playing time.

23. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just watched the game. The halftime adjustments or whatever went on were great. In the past I feel like the team would have shown more of the same and we would have been screaming for a sub, which wouldn't be made until the 75th and would have been underwhelming.

I'm liking BR's management of the squad. Sticking with Enrique AND playing him as our left-sided attacker after the match from two weeks ago shows real balls. Telling Downing he can leave in January is ballsy. The players have to be excited to know that their work in training and in matches will actually influence how much they play regardless of the size of their paycheck.

That said, some of our guys need a rest - mainly Joe Allen, who is looking a little flat (or maybe other players are surpassing what made Allen impressive early in the year?). Any word on Lucas? When he was first injured it seemed like early December was the targeted return time.

Anyways, good to get a win and a clean sheet. Let's not dwell on it and come out firing for the next one.

24. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's been lightly participating with the team in training, but he's still some way off. I think early January is more realistic.

25. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And oh yeah...who wants to take a guess at who's leading the golden boot race by 2 goals all by himself :D