Liverpool vs. Tottenham, Mar 30, Game 32 [R]

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Phillyspur, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    particularly if you don't learn from past mistakes

2. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

btw, what are the strengths of this squad....?? not seeing any today

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Sandro's beard.

BalanceUT and SpursGlory repped this.
  4. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The contrast between these teams is about as stark as it gets. One believes in their manager and their system. The other has no system, no direction and no belief. Liverpool's personnel really hasn't changed the past couple of seasons, which, in my opinion, says a lot about Rodgers, his system and managerial ability. Spurs? Right now it's all about "guts and character." I'm sure Sherwood will blame today's loss on playing poorly and showing no character. We have talent, but not much else at this point.

dashiel repped this.
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What happened to our good players? Adebayor, Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele? I can see starting any one of Siggy, Bentaleb or Chadli, but all 3 at the same time? I stopped watching at 2-0. I had to mute the TV after the first goal.

6. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    #31 dashiel, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    That quote from Rodgers about being offered the Tottenham job but seeing how quick the board was to sack managers he wasn't interested was made painfully obvious today.

It actually reminds me of what Galaxy went through with Tim Leiweke until he was humbled in '08, sadly I don't think anything bar relegation will humble Danny boy.

7. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Officially on the 'Everton for 4th' bandwagon now. Still Tottenham till I die, but the next incarnation can't come quick enough.

SPUR-ious repped this.
  8. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    They get Arse at home next week too.

9. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    The urge will be to gut the squad but if this season's taught us anything it's that change needs to be incremental and there is still talent in this squad. Assuming (big assumption) none of our better players move on:

- We are ok at GK
    - LB is a gaping hole, there are question marks about Kyle Walker at RB but we have bigger problems
    - Vertonghen needs a CB partner. The new manager needs to decide if Chiriches is that guy or go get someone else. Kaboul proved again today athleticism is no substitute for positional awareness at the top
    - Sandro is still a very good holding midfielder, Eriksen should drop in to the middle of the park
    - Lamela should be given the room to grow, make mistakes; we need to find out what we've invested in. Unless behind the scenes it's clear as day he is a donkey, then we should shift him on without exposing his true market value
    - Paulinho is a good player but if the new manager wants to play a pressing game, he's out. AvB hid his defensive deficiency by playing him as a support striker earlier in the season to reasonable effect but he isn't one.
    - On the opposite wing to Lamela, we have Lennon, Townsend and even Holtby, but bottom line is we will live or die by how well Erik progresses; no other wing player is or has the potential to be world class
    - Up top, between Adebayor and Soldado; if we can keep both happy, they should both stay

So in addition to a manager who selects to this team's strengths, we need three new faces in my mind - LB, CB and AM. Players who can go are Rose, Naughton, Kaboul, Dawson (unless he's happy to provide leadership as a back-up), Gylfi, Chadli and Moussa Dembele. Dembele is the toughest one to get rid of in my mind (and I'm by no means positive we should) - he's arguably the best two way player in the team. My problem is I have no idea where he fits - he isn't a DM, in CM against teams who sit back he doesn't move the ball quickly enough and so our tempo is slow and he seems uncomfortable in any position further forward.

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    -Lloris is leaving.
    -We've needed an LB for the past 4 windows.
    -Vertonghen will leave.
    -Sandro needs to stay. Pay him.
    -How the hell is Lamela going to adapt if he doesn't play? Agreed.

I've never felt so indifferent about a team in my life.

SpursGlory repped this.
  11. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely no shape, Sherwood yet again proves he is the dumbest F* in the world. WE DIDN"T PLAY A SINGLE DEFENSIVE MID! Bentaleb is not defensive he is a CM, we have Capoue and Sandro, and even Dembele! One of them is fit to play, against the best attacking team in the league today. F* off Sherwood, you sir are the disgrace.

We are thin out wide, no true talent out wide at all, Lennon has been miserable this season.

Say what you want about AVB but he at least showed that we can be a very strong, organized defensive unit. Sure we got hammered a couple matches but I haven't seen one good defensive showing by us under Sherwood.

12. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - LB has been needed for ages and it's a hard position to fill with quality. Still keeping Benoit would have been smart, the fact we still haven't recalled him means that Levy has beef with him and is letting his pride get in the way
    - Vertonghen will either be sold for money this window or we risk it for top 4 next season and hope he re-signs. I think Vert would re-sign with us if he sees a serious improvement and that can come with a good manager. Van Gaal would do that. However we are talking about ahole Levy and he will take cash now rather than help club succeed.
    - Same goes with Lloris
    - Sandro needs to be fit and be played. I can't believe him and Paulinho have barely started a few matches together at CM, they are naturally a great fit for eachother in so many ways.
    - Lamela has been injured much of the season so there is no one to blame for this one other than dumb luck.

13. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Spurs boss: "Levys offered to sign players but Ive said no"
    By Ben Pearce, Tottenham correspondent

Tim Sherwood has revealed that he has rejected chairman Daniel Levys offers to strengthen Tottenhams squad in the January transfer window ..... Sherwood says the chairman has been willing to get his chequebook out but the head coach says he has faith in his current group of players

"To be fair Daniels always asking: Are you sure you dont need to strengthen in this area? Can I help you in this or that area?. Im saying: Look, Im confident in the players weve got and I dont need any help to strengthen, thanks very much. Ive got real trust in this squad to take us where the club want to go."

There were suggestions that Levy and Spurs technical director Franco Baldini foisted signings upon Andre Villas-Boas in the summer but Sherwood says there is no chance that will happen today. "They can bring them in, they wont play, he said. Were in it together. They talk about players, we all talk about players together, and unless were all in agreement they wont come in. Theres no point bringing players in that I dont sanction, because theyre not going to play."

Just in case you guys forgot

14. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think that's key, actually. I'd be willing to bet the players look at the situation in much the same way we do - what direction is the club heading, what's the plan, is their a commitment from Levy to move the club forward. I could see both staying if Van Gaal or another respected manager takes the helm. If it's Sherwood or someone without a very good reputation, then they're gone.

15. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    The only plan seems to be making sure Spurs get good value when selling on players. It's been the only consistently (financially) successful thing Spurs have done since ENIC bought the team.

phoenixhazard, BalanceUT and SpursGlory repped this.
  16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    except, of course, van der vaart. effing AVB.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  17. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've given up on this season and if shit doesn't get more stable I can see us really having a hard time in the future. Didn't even record the game and had no interest in watching it. It's sad that the one thing I look forward to the most was watching Tottenham, but know I can't even be bothered.

18. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Complete garbage... our GD right back where it should be, in the negative. Even 8th place Southampton has a +9! With the exception Eriksen (and Soldado, I don't why but I still think he'll come good) the rest can be shipped out an I wouldn't give a toss. We have 3 players left from the core of a team that actually won anything (Lennon, Dawson, Kaboul)... and they're all pretty much on the way out a la Jermain Defoe. So cash out on these worthless buys and get a new (real) manager in and start again from scratch... it couldn't be a better time to do it.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    we've got waaay too much talent to toss it all out. not that I know who of 'em to keep, mind. the new manager has his work cut out for him, that's for sure.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to agree with you. Absolutely hate it, because I've loathed him since the biting incident (the WC handball was a tactically correct play, even if cynical). But, he's been an extraordinarily steely-eyed goal scoring machine this year. And, he's not shown a cynical eye blink. Hate it, but he's earned a measure of respect for righting his ship. I hope it is genuine change in behavior, and not under some kind of double secret probation.

21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I did record the game, but didn't watch the whole thing. Once again, the match was decided within 2 minutes. Actually before kickoff, if you look at the lineup.

22. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Rumours saying Sherwood punched 1 of the players after the defeat. :ROFLMAO:

23. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that has been denied by lennon and soldado both.

24. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Yeah but then there is no smoke without fire.

25. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #50 phoenixhazard, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    i hate to keep saying it but

and that would've been Bale. he would've moped and cried for a few weeks but he would have got on with his business and we would likely be title contenders today

BalanceUT and dashiel repped this.