Liverpool v. Newcastle - EPL - Nov 4 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by kopiteinkc, Nov 2, 2012.

1. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only this were horseshoes...

Frustrating match to watch with all the possession and so many chances that went begging--again. And then NUFC has one chance and scores. Enrique had one moment of brilliance amidst a ton of give aways or poor decisions with the ball. Gerrard playing that deep doesn't seem to have the impact he does when playing more advanced.

Luis Suarez is a genius, especially when he keeps his mouth shut and stays on his feet. World class goal today.

Cody667 repped this.
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

It doesn't matter if he missed. ;) He was late and high with his studs showing. Dumb.

3. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're now 6 points from 4th and the same from 18th. Still early enough for this team to get it going and string some results together. Problem is it's the same old song. We were looking quite lively to start the match, but without having some one running off Suarez we once again could not pounce. We are a toothless Doberman at the moment.

I suspect this is the best we can hope for without proper strikers. I just hope that BR brings in two serviceable strikers at January from ANYWHERE HE CAN. They don't have to be long term answers at this point, but at least get us through the season. I would take a loan, whatever.Then focus on long term in the summer.

Glad that the LC ended early for us since we will benefit from less competitions. The youth are already getting plenty of run.

This team is very close from being a very good side. We just don't have the depth at the front to be remotely consistent in finding the net.

Is there another player anywhere who gets more shots blocked than Gerrard? I swear it seems that 75% of his shots from outside are blocked. It's becoming comical.

4. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much like Suarez' rake of the back of Disdin's calf last week...

5. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No look at the tackle.

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What he said. Some of us need to have a word. This meant that Suarez could drift wide and dragged the defender and still have a body in the box. With game time, he'll learn (and let's not pretend he is the new Gerrad because he is not nor should he be!).

Onto the match itself, I should say these were two points dropped and the Geordies know fully well that. What a goal by Cabaye, though, bettered by Suarez's finish . Pity he was the only one, for a long time, trying to get things done. Allen was scrappy but rather wayward. Skrtel and Agger were towering today. If only Enrique had a decent right leg:mad: because he got into some decent position around the box. Jones is a bit dodgy in terms of positioning and decision-making (go, stop, backtrack WTF) but he did well when called upon. Largely unsighted for the goal, I thought. Sterling and Suso were not bad but need to press and attack more. It will come. Wisdom decent but partly at fault for their goal. Sahin was disappointing in terms of supporting Suarez but quite good with the ball-- maybe he ought to have swapped places with Gerrard. Talking of whom, what a load of useless corners and set-pieces. At least he's leaving some of them to others.

Decent referee because that was a straight red for Coloccini.

7. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    gif of the red:

[​IMG]

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Another Suarez gif of the goal- diff angle:

[​IMG]

ForeverRed repped this.
  9. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I had to wait awhile

Jones -- better in distribution but I thought he might have gotten a hand to their goal

Wisdom -- doing a good job but I think he is still learning the position. Would love to have Kelly running at people today.

Agger and Skirt -- solid as ever

Enrique -- I thought he made some strong tackles and he passed the ball that Luis scored however he is slow of thought in attack and the Geordies all knew he has no right foot. They simply forced him right.

Allen -- pretty much his usual job but it is clear he is not an incisive attacking passer or scoring threat

Gerrard --- is wasted as a holder playing behind Allen but he had some excellent passes along with a brain fart or two

Sahin -- the next time he makes a legal tackle it will be his first. He doesn't pass we'll, can't beat anyone on the dribble and doesn't get in dangerous positions. Why is he the point in a three man midfield?

Shelvey -- should have had the winner about three times but atleast he got in dangerous spots and showed for the ball.

Sterling -- god I love this kid

Suso --- good passer but he lacks pace as a wing forward and he really is a defensive liability

Suarez -- what a goal and what a fighter, just can't get enough

Downing played quite well in his minutes laying a great cross for Shelvey which should have been buried

Rodgers --- remind me again about the project and tika taka! His player selections and instructions raise questions that have nothing to do with depth. We finally got a goal by playing good old fashioned long ball. We seem to have absolutely no plan on corners. It has been a decade long complaint of mine about SG taking corners, he doesn't do it well and it keeps him out of the attack. But he usually gets it past the first man but now both he and Sahin can't do that. I think they may be instructed to go for the near post. At any rate we had 12 or more corners and never looked like threatening their goal. These are matters that can be worked on the training ground and which we should concentrate on with our lack of attack other than Suarez. We currently have 11 points from 10 games so if we keep that up we won't be relegated but we will finish in the bottom half f the table.

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well here's what the Gaffer thinks. ;)

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-that-man-is-unplayable

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  13. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The league is quite open this season its still quite easy for us to jump back into contention for a top4 place. Last season after 10 games we were 6th with 18points, this would of had us 4th this year.

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True, and considering all that is happening, we're not in such a bad position, at all. I can't imagine that we'll fall off the cliff after January like we did last season. We do need to start winning, though.

Just been watching the recorded match, again. Strewth, did the Kop give Downingan earful for shirking out of that aerial 70-30 ball at the death :eek:

15. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I hope your optimism is contagious :)

16. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    While watching this game a few things came to my mind.
    1. Suarez will not keep on carrying this team all the time. It is becoming ridiculous that he creates and scores the goal for this team. Having a partner with him will that make him better or not is debatable but if we do get another complimentary strikers some one has to sit.
    2. Corners. LB hit the nail on the head with this one. Gerrard has had 600 games under his belt yet the corners have been hit and miss. Several posters have mentioned that he is quite talented in headers yet we allow him (or he forces himself) to take the bulk of the corners.
    3. When Lucas comes back someone will have to sit and who will it be? I just cannot see Allen and Lucas playing together. Allen does not seem attacking enough and Lucas is deep lying too.
    4. A long ball got us a point. A long ball.
    5. It is a disappointing result and for the optimism of us being 6 points to fourth place do not forget that there are 20 teams in this league all of whom can beat us or get a draw at home or away. It is upto Rodgers and the team to start getting serious.
    6. Although it was Enriques fault for not closing down Ben Arfa I can see other experienced defenders having the same trouble with a skilled winger. Also the goal by Cabaye was well struck and I cannot actually point a finger at anyone but ourselves for not winning the game. As it has been mentioned we are destined to concede plenty of goals due to the new format and therefore it is on our attackers to score one more then the opponents.
    7. To me this was one of the best games by Sterling. He might not have scored nor did he have the biggest influence but the boy has balls. He can take anyone on. He is extremely talented.

17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just think that it's too early to write anything off or come to any snap conclusions after 10 matches. For the second league in a row, I saw our trying to mix it up-- that pass to Suarez was superb. Not a long hopeful punt but a precise ball that split the centre-halves. Still required a bit from Suarez but those are situations in which he thrives. Tactically, I'd have brought on Assaidi rather than Downing coming. Apart from that cross to Shelvey but did little else, although that would have been some goal.

18. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am never writing us off I stick with my club through everything. I am being realistic. I never saw the power point but I bet the project he sold Henry didn't call for us being 7 points off last years pace after 10 games. Regardless of how it is done we need to start winning games at home.

ScholesyLFC repped this.
  19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aye.

I alsothink Rodgers needs more ruthlessness when making substitutions. I'd not have hesitated hooking Gerrard or at least forcing him to be more advanced instead of Suso, for example.

20. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You want to know something worrying, we're actually a point off Hodgson was 2 years ago. Both managers have Chelsea for their 11th league game, which Woy won. Its a real possibility that this time next week we'll be trailing Roy by 4 points.

[​IMG]

21. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is really bad. But you know we "were outstanding" today. BR says give him a few transfer windows and we might start winning games instead of getting draws through Suarez miracle goals

usscouse repped this.
  22. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What little joy we have this season is owed to the 1000% support Kenny showed Suarez last season, i'm sure he would of done one like he did at Ajax after the ear biting scandal if it wasnt for the King.

23. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed and Sterling wouldn't be at Liverpool but for Kenny, by his own testimony.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Rodgers, being a numbers guy, probably felt we were 'outstanding' based on the opta stats. If you predicted before the match Liverpool would outshoot them 2:1 from in and outside the 18, while Putting 6 on target with reasonable accuracy, I would have taken it. The Suarez moment of brilliance notwithstanding, If any of those 3 Shelvey chances fell to a more clinical finisher, maybe we're reflecting on a solid win. But we were clearly wasteful in the final third which is where I would challenge Rodgers's positive synopsis of this match.

My hope is with a better striker to complement Suarez, these types of performances turn into 3 points in the spring.